From: Frank Millman on
On Dec 9, 6:23 pm, Allen Kistler <ackist...(a)oohay.moc> wrote:
> Frank Millman wrote:

> >> In Fedora, the X config tool is system-config-display from the setuptool
> >> rpm, at least for F9 and previous.  I'd bet the package is the same for
> >> F10, but I haven't tried.
>
> >> [snip]
>
> >> It would probably help a lot if you still have a copy of your old F7
> >> xorg.conf to compare to your new F10 xorg.conf.  I'm really not a fan of
> >> posting conf files to Usenet, but it might actually help in this case.
>
> > Thanks for the reply, Allen. I spent most of today googling for
> > information, and trying various suggestions I have read about, but no
> > luck.
>
> > I ran a full 'yum upgrade' (after a lot of difficulty with PackageKit
> > dependencies) but still no luck.
>
> > For some reason Fedora 10 does not ship with system-config-display,
> > but I followed a suggestion to run 'yum install system-config-
> > display'. It downloaded ok, but when I run it, I it uses a HUGE font -
> > all I can see is 'Settings' and half of 'Hardware', and I cannot
> > scroll the screen, so I cannot do anything useful there.
>
> > Here is xorg.conf from my FC7 machine -
>
> > [snip]
>
> > Here is /root/xorg.conf.new on my FC10 machine, as generated by 'X -
> > configure' -
>
> > [snip]
>
> > I tried copying HorizSync, VertRefresh, and Modes to xorg.conf.new,
> > but it makes no difference.
>
> > [snip]
>
> I just double-checked.  Yeah, system-config-display is now its own rpm.
>   I did download one of the Beta DVDs a while ago.
> system-config-display was on that one.
>
> A better comparison would be between your F7 and F10 configs as
> generated by system-config-display, or at least between F7 and whatever
> F10 creates at installation.
>
> If you want to be read by a wider audience, you really want to post from
> someplace other than Google Groups.  Many (most?) readers of the Linux
> lists kill everything from there automatically.- Hide quoted text -

F10 created nothing on installation, AFAICT - probably because I
installed in text mode.

Thanks for the tip about Google Groups - the spam is annoying, but I
had not realised the reaction that has caused. My ISP's news server is
down at the moment :-( As soon as it is up again I will switch to a
local news reader.

I have posted my question on the Fedora mailing list. I will report
back here with any information I receive.

Thanks again

Frank
From: Frank Millman on
On Dec 10, 8:48 am, FrediFizzx <fredifi...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Frank Millman wrote:
> > Hi all
>
> > I am trying to install FC10 on a desktop machine. I am over-writing an
> > existing installation of FC7, which worked ok.
>
> > For some reason I cannot get it to work in graphical mode. The
> > installation gave a very mixed-up screen that was unreadable, so I
> > installed in text mode successfully. I am now trying to configure X. I
> > am no expert, and I could not find any information on the Fedora site,
> > so I am using the information from X.org.
>
> > First I typed 'X -configure'. This created a file called '/root/
> > xorg.conf.new'. It seems to detect the on-board VGA card ok - it shows
> > it as an Intel 82845G/GL. It does not pick up any information about
> > the monitor - it just fills in defaults for the identifier, vendor
> > name, and model name.
>
> > Following the instructions on X.org, I typed 'X -config /root/
> > xorg.conf.new'. It tries to start a graphical screen, nothing appears,
> > and then the machine hangs.
>
> > The monitor is actually an Ultra DT-1454D. I got the specs from the
> > web and manually entered HorizSync and VertRefresh into xorg.conf.new
> > and tried again, but it made no difference.
>
> > To check that the hardware has not gone faulty, I booted off my old
> > FC7 dvd, and told it to do a fresh install. It brings up the media
> > check in text mode, then starts anaconda, and then continues with the
> > install in graphics mode with no problem. I did not continue past that
> > point, it was just to prove that the hardware was ok.
>
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> I had the same problem installing FC9 with Intel onboard video in a new
> HP Pavillion box that I setup to dual boot.  I believe the answer was to
> boot Linux with the 'lowres' option.  That will allow you to startx and
> have a workable display.  Then you can set the display resolution to
> make it work every time.
>
> Best,
>
> Fred Diether

Thanks for the suggestion, Fred. I tried it, but unfortunately it did
not help.

As I mentioned to Allen, I have posted my question to the Fedora list,
and will report back here with any information received.

Frank
From: propman on
Frank Millman wrote:
> Thanks for the tip about Google Groups - the spam is annoying, but I
> had not realised the reaction that has caused. My ISP's news server is
> down at the moment :-( As soon as it is up again I will switch to a
> local news reader.

Suggestion.....subscribe to one of the freebie news servers and set it
up as a "secondary server" option in your news reader as a backup when
your main news server isn't available.

FWIW, I've been using news.motzarella.org for the last 6 months or so
and have no complaints with the service. :-)

From: Frank Millman on
Frank Millman wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am trying to install FC10 on a desktop machine. I am over-writing an
> existing installation of FC7, which worked ok.
>
> For some reason I cannot get it to work in graphical mode.

Hi again

First of all, thanks to propman for the tip about news.motzarella.org - it
works like a charm.

I posted a message to the Fedora mailing list, but got no reply.

Then I browsed the Fedora forum, and found the following thread -

It describes my problem exactly, and provides a solution, which is to add
the following line to xorg.conf under "Device" -

Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"

The thread goes into some detail for those that are interested. It is mostly
over my head. I am just happy that it is working. I am not happy that I had
to go to so much trouble (*not* the way to win hearts and minds), but that
is another story ...

Thanks to all those who responded.

Frank

From: propman on
Frank Millman wrote:
> Frank Millman wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I am trying to install FC10 on a desktop machine. I am over-writing an
>> existing installation of FC7, which worked ok.
>>
>> For some reason I cannot get it to work in graphical mode.
>
> Hi again
>
> First of all, thanks to propman for the tip about news.motzarella.org - it
> works like a charm.

Great to hear you got connected OK, Frank....thanks for letting me know
and the update on resolving your problem. :-)