From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
Frank Millman wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> Frank Millman wrote:
>>> 1. #fdisk -l
>>>
>>> Disk /dev/sda: 8619 MB 8619752960 bytes
>>> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1047 cylinders
>>> Units = cyliinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>>> Disk identifier: 0x838ccac3
>>>
>>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>>> /dev/sda1 * 1 25 200781 83 Linux
>>> /dev/sda2 26 1048 8217247+ 8e Linux LVM
>> OK, I'm speculating, but this looks like your issue. You probably don't
>> have the appropriate drivers installed in your initrd of your hard drive
>> for your SCSI or SATA device.
>
> It is a standard IDE drive with a standard IDE connector on the motherboard.

Then why in the *hell* is it showing up as /dev/sda? Is it set up for mirrored
RAID, or RAID1 or something on the motherboard?

From: Frank Millman on

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Frank Millman wrote:
>>
>> It is a standard IDE drive with a standard IDE connector on the
>> motherboard.
>
> Then why in the *hell* is it showing up as /dev/sda? Is it set up for
> mirrored RAID, or RAID1 or something on the motherboard?

There is only one HDD. I just did a standard install, accepting all the
defaults.

I downloaded the motherboard manuals from the Gigabyte site - there is no
mention of any RAID setup.

I have just tried my original, working, FC7 hard drive. It has the same
problem - boots ok in the original machine, will not boot in the second
machine.

fdisk -l also shows it as /dev/sda. dmesg shows it as a SCSI device - I have
no idea why.

I got the following response from the Fedora mailing list -

"I can not help with the original problem, but the problem with moving the
hard drive is probably a different IDE controller in the second machine. The
fix is to chroot /mnt/sysimage and build a new initrd. (man mkinitrd) The
only problem being that the drive will probably not work in the old machine
any more. One way around this is to have 2 different initrd for the same
kernel, and have 2 grub entries - each using a different initrd.img."

I guess I will have to bite the bullet and try to figure this out.

Thanks

Frank