From: Frank Millman on
> Frank Millman wrote:
>
> Hi again
>
> First of all, thanks to propman for the tip about news.motzarella.org - it
> works like a charm.
>
> I posted a message to the Fedora mailing list, but got no reply.
>
> Then I browsed the Fedora forum, and found the following thread -
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=207320
>
> It describes my problem exactly, and provides a solution, which is to add
> the following line to xorg.conf under "Device" -
>
> Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
>
> The thread goes into some detail for those that are interested. It is
> mostly over my head. I am just happy that it is working. I am not happy
> that I had to go to so much trouble (*not* the way to win hearts and
> minds), but that is another story ...

Unfortunately I spoke too soon :-(

<minor gripe>
I found that, on booting up in graphical mode, X is running on tty1 instead
of tty7 as in the past, so I cannot use tty1 for text work. I don't know if
there is a good reason for this, or if it is 'change for change's sake', but
it took me a little while to realise what was happening.
</minor gripe>

The big problem is that, if I switch from the graphical screen to a text
screen - say tty2 - and stay there for a couple of minutes, when I switch
back again the machine freezes, and I have to press reset. I tried this
several times, and the same thing happened each time.

My guess is that the new Intel video driver is flakey. Anyway, I decided to
give up on that. I have a similar desktop machine, running Windows Server
2000. I swapped hard drives to see if there was an improvement. The Windows
hardrive works perfectly in the original machine. The FC10 hardrive in the
new machine will not boot at all! I get the following message -

Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
Unable to access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01)
mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: No such file or
directory

I swapped hardrives back again to ensure it had not got corrupted, and it
booted fine in the original machine.

If I boot off the dvd and select Rescue Mode, it boots and says that it has
loaded the installed system under /mnt/sysimage. I can see the contents of
/mnt/sysimage, but I have no idea what, if anything, to change to enable it
to boot up normally. If I just exit, it shuts downs cleanly, but I get the
same error if I try to reboot off the hard drive.

If the worst comes to the worst I can re-install from scratch, but it does
not fill me with confidence.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Frank

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
Frank Millman wrote:
>> Frank Millman wrote:
>>
>> Hi again
>>
>> First of all, thanks to propman for the tip about news.motzarella.org - it
>> works like a charm.
>>
>> I posted a message to the Fedora mailing list, but got no reply.
>>
>> Then I browsed the Fedora forum, and found the following thread -
>>
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=207320
>>
>> It describes my problem exactly, and provides a solution, which is to add
>> the following line to xorg.conf under "Device" -
>>
>> Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
>>
>> The thread goes into some detail for those that are interested. It is
>> mostly over my head. I am just happy that it is working. I am not happy
>> that I had to go to so much trouble (*not* the way to win hearts and
>> minds), but that is another story ...
>>

> Unfortunately I spoke too soon :-(
>
> <minor gripe>
> I found that, on booting up in graphical mode, X is running on tty1 instead
> of tty7 as in the past, so I cannot use tty1 for text work. I don't know if
> there is a good reason for this, or if it is 'change for change's sake', but
> it took me a little while to realise what was happening.
> </minor gripe>
>
> The big problem is that, if I switch from the graphical screen to a text
> screen - say tty2 - and stay there for a couple of minutes, when I switch
> back again the machine freezes, and I have to press reset. I tried this
> several times, and the same thing happened each time.
>
> My guess is that the new Intel video driver is flakey. Anyway, I decided to
> give up on that. I have a similar desktop machine, running Windows Server
> 2000. I swapped hard drives to see if there was an improvement. The Windows
> hardrive works perfectly in the original machine. The FC10 hardrive in the
> new machine will not boot at all! I get the following message -
>
> Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
> Unable to access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01)
> mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: No such file or
> directory
>
> I swapped hardrives back again to ensure it had not got corrupted, and it
> booted fine in the original machine.
>
> If I boot off the dvd and select Rescue Mode, it boots and says that it has
> loaded the installed system under /mnt/sysimage. I can see the contents of
> /mnt/sysimage, but I have no idea what, if anything, to change to enable it
> to boot up normally. If I just exit, it shuts downs cleanly, but I get the
> same error if I try to reboot off the hard drive.
>
> If the worst comes to the worst I can re-install from scratch, but it does
> not fill me with confidence.
>
> Any advice will be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Frank

Been there, done that, wrote tools to do network boots for just this sort of
fun. Your Linux disk probably lacks the right kernel modules, or the right
disk setups for your new hardware setup. Booting with the rescue disk, please
report the output of 'fdisk -l', 'mount', and the contents of
'/mnt/sysimage/etc/fstab'
From: Frank Millman on
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Frank Millman wrote:
>> Unfortunately I spoke too soon :-(
>>
>> My guess is that the new Intel video driver is flakey. Anyway, I decided
>> to give up on that. I have a similar desktop machine, running Windows
>> Server 2000. I swapped hard drives to see if there was an improvement.
>> The Windows hardrive works perfectly in the original machine. The FC10
>> hardrive in the new machine will not boot at all! I get the following
>> message -
>>
>> Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
>> Unable to access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01)
>> mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: No such file or
>> directory
>>

> Been there, done that, wrote tools to do network boots for just this sort
> of fun. Your Linux disk probably lacks the right kernel modules, or the
> right disk setups for your new hardware setup. Booting with the rescue
> disk, please report the output of 'fdisk -l', 'mount', and the contents of
> '/mnt/sysimage/etc/fstab'

Thanks for the response, Nico.

1. #fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 8619 MB 8619752960 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1047 cylinders
Units = cyliinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x838ccac3

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 25 200781 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 26 1048 8217247+ 8e Linux LVM

2. #mount

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev on /dev/ type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/pts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
/dev/loop0 on /mnt/runtime type squashfs (ro)
/selinux on /selinux type selinuxfs (rw)
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on /mnt/sysimage type ext3
(rw,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,data=ordered)
/dev/sysfs on /mnt/sysimage/sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/proc on /mnt/sysimage/proc type proc (rw)
/dev on /mnt/sysimage/dev type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/pts on /mnt/sysimage/dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
/selinux on /mnt/sysimage/selinux type selinuxfs (rw)

3. #cat /mnt/sysimage/etc/fstab

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
UUID=b6c62c5a-0afb-4258-a726-6a377a6f3b9e /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

Frank

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
Frank Millman wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>> Frank Millman wrote:
>>> Unfortunately I spoke too soon :-(
>>>
>>> My guess is that the new Intel video driver is flakey. Anyway, I decided
>>> to give up on that. I have a similar desktop machine, running Windows
>>> Server 2000. I swapped hard drives to see if there was an improvement.
>>> The Windows hardrive works perfectly in the original machine. The FC10
>>> hardrive in the new machine will not boot at all! I get the following
>>> message -
>>>
>>> Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
>>> Unable to access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01)
>>> mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: No such file or
>>> directory
>>>
>> Been there, done that, wrote tools to do network boots for just this sort
>> of fun. Your Linux disk probably lacks the right kernel modules, or the
>> right disk setups for your new hardware setup. Booting with the rescue
>> disk, please report the output of 'fdisk -l', 'mount', and the contents of
>> '/mnt/sysimage/etc/fstab'
>
> Thanks for the response, Nico.
>
> 1. #fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 8619 MB 8619752960 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1047 cylinders
> Units = cyliinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x838ccac3
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sda1 * 1 25 200781 83 Linux
> /dev/sda2 26 1048 8217247+ 8e Linux LVM

OK, I'm speculating, but this looks like your issue. You probably don't have
the appropriate drivers installed in your initrd of your hard drive for your
SCSI or SATA device.

It should be possible to do an 'lsmod' and view the contents of
/mnt/sysimage/etc/modprobe.conf to see that the right drivers are not listed:
you'll need to add them, and do a 'chroot /mnt/sysimage "mkinitrd"' command
with various options to get the drivers into your mkinitrd.

> 2. #mount
>
> rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
> /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> /dev on /dev/ type tmpfs (rw)
> /dev/pts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
> /sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> none on /tmp type ramfs (rw)
> /dev/loop0 on /mnt/runtime type squashfs (ro)
> /selinux on /selinux type selinuxfs (rw)
> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 on /mnt/sysimage type ext3
> (rw,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,data=ordered)
> /dev/sysfs on /mnt/sysimage/sys type sysfs (rw)
> /dev/proc on /mnt/sysimage/proc type proc (rw)
> /dev on /mnt/sysimage/dev type tmpfs (rw)
> /dev/pts on /mnt/sysimage/dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=600)
> /selinux on /mnt/sysimage/selinux type selinuxfs (rw)
>
> 3. #cat /mnt/sysimage/etc/fstab
>
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
> UUID=b6c62c5a-0afb-4258-a726-6a377a6f3b9e /boot ext3 defaults 1 2

This could *ALSO* be the issue. I've not personally used the UUID business,
and prefer using ext3 labels or hard-coded device names such as /dev/hda1. I
see numerous bug reports on UUID designating partitions for vari0uos OS's, so
it may not be that stable yet.

From: Frank Millman on
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> Frank Millman wrote:
>> 1. #fdisk -l
>>
>> Disk /dev/sda: 8619 MB 8619752960 bytes
>> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1047 cylinders
>> Units = cyliinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>> Disk identifier: 0x838ccac3
>>
>> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
>> /dev/sda1 * 1 25 200781 83 Linux
>> /dev/sda2 26 1048 8217247+ 8e Linux LVM
>
> OK, I'm speculating, but this looks like your issue. You probably don't
> have the appropriate drivers installed in your initrd of your hard drive
> for your SCSI or SATA device.

It is a standard IDE drive with a standard IDE connector on the motherboard.

For the record, the drive is a Seagate ST38410A, 8.4gb. The motherboard in
the machine that was used to build FC10 is a Gigabyte GA-8LD533. The
motherboard in the machine that fails to boot FC10 is a Gigabyte GA-851MLH.
The spec of the IDE connector on the former is UltraDMA33/ATA66/ATA100. The
spec on the latter is the same except it also has ATA133.

I confess this does not mean anything to me, but it might mean something to
someone reading this.

I will post this question, with all the supporting information, on the
Fedora mailing list, and see if I get a response this time.

Let me know if there is anything else you want me to try. I will report back
with any info obtained from the Fedora list.

Many thanks for the help so far.

Frank