From: MaryL on

"MaryL" <stancole1(a)yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message

>> What's the value of "Checksum offload" (or similar),
>> and "Large send offload" (or similar)?
>>
> There is no "Checksum offload," and I don't see anything similar. I see
> Large send offload v2 (IPv6) and also Large send offload v2 (IPv6).
> However, I don't see any values. If I place the cursor over either one, I
> simply see a description of their functions. What am I missing?

Ooops! I should have said that I see Large send offload v2 (IPv4) and also
Large send offload v2 (IPv6) instead of listing two identical items.

In addition to the peripherals I already listed, I also have a Seagate "Free
Agent" external (desktop) hard drive, USB 2.0 connected to the CPU.

MaryL

From: Daniel Jacobson on
In article <494f246c$0$5459$bbae4d71(a)news.suddenlink.net>, stancole1(a)yahoo.comTAKE-OUT-THE-LITTER says...

>I have a consistent problem with being unable to email large items. Eudora
>warns me that it is large, then when I try to email, I will an error message
>
>such as this:
><Dominant", 1 messages left to sent,. [02:50:30 PM]
>Error reading from network Cause: Connection closed ;by foreign host.
>(0)
>
>Other people are able to send the same messages to me, and I can open them
>with no problem. Likewise, I can send the same messages (same computer) by
>using Yahoo, and they go through with no difficulty.
>
>Some of these messages are photos, a few are messages that I have tried to
>forward, and the most important ones are the newsletters that I prepare for
>our church. It has become impossible to send them unless I go to Yahoo.
>
>I am using SuddenLink. Their technician has been to my home twice and has
>not located any problem. When I call SuddenLink for telephone support, they
>can "ping" correctly.
>
>After I receive the error message when trying to send a message, I
>frequently lost Internet connection. It will then say "Local access only"
>instead of "Local and Internet" access. This problem occurs *only* when I
>am using Eudora. Incidentally, I have a new computer, monitor, and
>keyboard. This problem existed *before* I got the new computer system and
>has continued since I got the new setup.
>
>Can anyone help? I want to continue using Eudora, but this is impossible.
>Is there some setting that I need to change?
>
>I am using Eudora 7.1.0.9 (paid version) and Vista Home Premium.

Try:
Problems Sending Attachments (Windows)
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1408hq.html

These 2 mention foreign host:
Quit Error when Checking AT&T
http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2465hq.html

"Could Not Open Spool" (Norton Anti-Virus, Windows)
http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2510hq.html
--
Over and Out
Daniel Jacobson

From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:41:23 -0600, MaryL wrote:

> I am using TrendMicro. I was using AVG Free when the problem began.
> I do have TrendMicro set to scan both incoming and outgoing email.
> I could turn that off if you think that is the source of the problem.

Turning off unnecessary things reduces the number of things
which might contribute, in any case.

Any email (port interception) scanning is redundant,
because individual file scanning
already takes care of everything for Eudora mail.

> Intel(R) 8256V-2 10/100 Network Connection

> There is no "Checksum offload," and I don't see anything similar.

The reason I asked is that there are known problems
with Nvidia (Nforce) adapters, cured by turning off "Checksum offload."

> Dell 530 Inspiron, 4GB

2.2 GHz dual-core, should be fast enough, unless bogged down by Vista :)

> LinkSys Wireless-G broadband router with SpeedBooster...

> Everything except the LinkSys router was replaced
> when I bought the new system. I am running Vista Home Premium.

Well, can you bypass that wireless router and see what happens?

When the culprit doesn't stand up and confess,
a process of elimination is sometimes useful :)

How about trying the free SMTP server provided for free Gmail accounts,
to test whether the same size attachments are sent better
than when using smtp.suddenlink.net (is that your current SMTP server?)

What is the size limit per message on SuddenLink?

> After I receive the error message when trying to send a message,
> I frequently lost Internet connection.
> It will then say "Local access only" instead of "Local and Internet" access.

Where exactly does "it" say this?

> I can send the same messages (same computer) by using Yahoo.

Yahoo does not transmit to your local SMTP server;
attachments are first uploaded to Yahoo via HTTP,
then Yahoo sends the entire message for you.

From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:56:20 -0600, MaryL wrote:

> My photos average about 4,000KB.
> It has become impossible if I try to send 3 or 4 of them as attachments.

There are usually overall message size limits for outgoing email.

Attachments actually _expand_ by 33% when sent in email;
that is, a 6MB binary file when sent as a MIME attachment takes 8MB,
and three of those would exceed many sending limits
(Gmail and Yahoo may have upped their limits to 20MB per message,
used to be 10MB per message).

> I frequently receive video files from friends (from places like YouTube).
> I usually cannot forward them from Eudora, but I can from Yahoo.

Eudora can not be compared with Yahoo, because Eudora sends mail via SMTP servers
using SMTP protocol, while Yahoo first uploads everything to Yahoo using HTTP,
then sends the actual mail for you.

Can you send the same attachments using Thunderbird or Outlook Express,
using the same SMTP server as Eudora? That would be a better comparison.

From: MaryL on

"John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:41:23 -0600, MaryL wrote:
>
>> I am using TrendMicro. I was using AVG Free when the problem began.
>> I do have TrendMicro set to scan both incoming and outgoing email.
>> I could turn that off if you think that is the source of the problem.
>
> Turning off unnecessary things reduces the number of things
> which might contribute, in any case.
>
> Any email (port interception) scanning is redundant,
> because individual file scanning
> already takes care of everything for Eudora mail.
>
>> Intel(R) 8256V-2 10/100 Network Connection
>
>> There is no "Checksum offload," and I don't see anything similar.
>
> The reason I asked is that there are known problems
> with Nvidia (Nforce) adapters, cured by turning off "Checksum offload."
>
>> Dell 530 Inspiron, 4GB
>
> 2.2 GHz dual-core, should be fast enough, unless bogged down by Vista :)
>
>> LinkSys Wireless-G broadband router with SpeedBooster...
>
>> Everything except the LinkSys router was replaced
>> when I bought the new system. I am running Vista Home Premium.
>
> Well, can you bypass that wireless router and see what happens?

I did try bypassing the router because the SuddenLink tech was "supicious"
of it. However, the problem still happened--ironically, while the tech was
still here, but he still "suspects" the router.

> When the culprit doesn't stand up and confess,
> a process of elimination is sometimes useful :)
>
> How about trying the free SMTP server provided for free Gmail accounts,
> to test whether the same size attachments are sent better
> than when using smtp.suddenlink.net (is that your current SMTP server?)

I'll try that.

> What is the size limit per message on SuddenLink?

I don't know what the size limitation is. I'll check into this, but the
SuddenLink tech who came out to my house said "there should be no problem"
with the size that is causing the problems!

>> After I receive the error message when trying to send a message,
>> I frequently lost Internet connection.
>> It will then say "Local access only" instead of "Local and Internet"
>> access.
>
> Where exactly does "it" say this?

Sorry...I knew that was a poor description, but I don't know the name of the
icon. It is the little icon in the task tray(?) that looks like two
overlapping computers. It shows when I am connected by cable. Normally, it
shows "Currently connected to: Network. Access: Local and Internet." When
Eudora fails to send a message and returns the error I reported, this will
change to "Local access only."
>> I can send the same messages (same computer) by using Yahoo.
>
> Yahoo does not transmit to your local SMTP server;
> attachments are first uploaded to Yahoo via HTTP,
> then Yahoo sends the entire message for you.

Thanks for your help. I have a lot of experience with software such as
Corel WordPerfect Office, but am very limited when it comes to hardware.
> --

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: address book