From: MaryL on

"John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:56:20 -0600, MaryL wrote:
>
>> My photos average about 4,000KB.
>> It has become impossible if I try to send 3 or 4 of them as attachments.
>
> There are usually overall message size limits for outgoing email.
>
> Attachments actually _expand_ by 33% when sent in email;
> that is, a 6MB binary file when sent as a MIME attachment takes 8MB,
> and three of those would exceed many sending limits
> (Gmail and Yahoo may have upped their limits to 20MB per message,
> used to be 10MB per message).
>
>> I frequently receive video files from friends (from places like YouTube).
>> I usually cannot forward them from Eudora, but I can from Yahoo.
>
> Eudora can not be compared with Yahoo, because Eudora sends mail via SMTP
> servers
> using SMTP protocol, while Yahoo first uploads everything to Yahoo using
> HTTP,
> then sends the actual mail for you.
>
> Can you send the same attachments using Thunderbird or Outlook Express,
> using the same SMTP server as Eudora? That would be a better comparison.

I'm not sure. I have never used Thunderbird, and I don't have OE set up at
home. I could do that, as a check. I did not think about the difference
between Yahoo and Eudora. I mentioned it only because I can replicate the
problem over and over--can open a file that someone has sent me in Eudora
but can't forward it, but no problem with Yahoo. However, I much *prefer*
Eudora and would like to solve the problem. I will check with SuddenLink,
but the tech they sent out said I should not have a problem with the size
files I showed him.

From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:01:18 -0600, MaryL wrote:

> It is the little icon in the task tray(?) that looks like two
> overlapping computers. It shows when I am connected by cable.
> Normally, it shows "Currently connected to: Network. Access: Local and Internet."
> When Eudora fails to send a message and returns the error I reported,
> this will change to "Local access only."

The icon for an internet connection shows such network problems
when the connection itself is failing.

It sounds much more like a problem with hardware (like a router
or DSL cable modem, as your technician suspects,
or even with a network adapter in the computer),
not likely due to an email program by itself.

I would try comparing with sending the same mail,
using the same SMTP server and same computer connections,
but with Thunderbird or Outlook Express (Windows Mail).

Or, plug in your computer at a friend's house
(one who uses a different ISP), or tune in
some other wireless network (also via a different ISP),
and see whether Eudora sends the same mail any better from there,
using their SMTP server instead of SuddenLink's.

Or meanwhile post your photos to any of the zillion free upload sites,
and just email the web links for them :)

http://www.google.com/search?q=photo+hosting

Best wishes.

From: MaryL on

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:01:18 -0600, MaryL wrote:

> It is the little icon in the task tray(?) that looks like two
> overlapping computers. It shows when I am connected by cable.
> Normally, it shows "Currently connected to: Network. Access: Local and
> Internet."
> When Eudora fails to send a message and returns the error I reported,
> this will change to "Local access only."

The icon for an internet connection shows such network problems
when the connection itself is failing.

It sounds much more like a problem with hardware (like a router
or DSL cable modem, as your technician suspects,
or even with a network adapter in the computer),
not likely due to an email program by itself.

If it is hardware, I think it would have to be the router because every
other piece of hardware is new (January 2008 or newer). This problem
existed before I bought all that new hardware. I'm willing to buy a new
router, but I hope I won't also have to pay someone to come out again to set
up the security feature for my laptop computer (seldom used, but I want it
to be as secure as possible).

I would try comparing with sending the same mail,
using the same SMTP server and same computer connections,
but with Thunderbird or Outlook Express (Windows Mail).

I will try that with OE. I am not familiar with Thunderbird and don't know
what type of "learning curve" that would entail?

Or, plug in your computer at a friend's house
(one who uses a different ISP), or tune in
some other wireless network (also via a different ISP),
and see whether Eudora sends the same mail any better from there,
using their SMTP server instead of SuddenLink's.

That would be impossible for me. I have arthritis, and it would be
extremely difficult for me tomove everything.

Or meanwhile post your photos to any of the zillion free upload sites,
and just email the web links for them :)

http://www.google.com/search?q=photo+hosting

I have done that on some occasions. However, the *biggest* problem is that
I prepare our church's newsletter and then need to forward it to them for
printing and mailing. Eudora will almost never complete that task, so I
have to either send it via Yahoo or copy it to an external disk and
physically take it to the church office. It has been a real inconvenience.

Best wishes.

-- =

From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:36:55 -0600, MaryL wrote:

> I have [used photo hosting] on some occasions.

> However, the *biggest* problem is that I prepare our church's newsletter
> and then need to forward it to them for printing and mailing.
> Eudora will almost never complete that task,
> so I have to either send it via Yahoo or copy it to an external disk
> and physically take it to the church office.

Do you compose your newsletter as a single document (e.g. Word, PDF)
and then attach it to an email?

Some "free file hosting" (upload using web browser, then send a link)
has considerable capacity, e.g. 300MB per file here:

http://www.filefactory.com

Perhaps someone from the church office has a little USB
plug-in "stick" (nowadays often 2000MB for under $10),
and can take it for you (if it doesn't get lost in their pocket :)

There are of course just work-arounds for some issue
that's likely hardware related, but while still pondering
where that problem lies, the job must still get done.

---

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night
stays these couriers from the swift completion
of their appointed rounds."

Sentence inscribed on the wall by architects
who designed the New York General Post Office.

It was taken from works of Herodotus and describes the expedition of the Greeks
against the Persians under Cyrus, about 500 B.C. The Persians operated a system
of mounted postal couriers, and the sentence describes the fidelity
with which their work was done.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12514
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6484521
http://www.usps.com/news/2002/press/pr02_076.htm
http://www.pbase.com/soenda/image/67216959 [source of info quoted above]

From: MaryL on

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:36:55 -0600, MaryL wrote:
>
>> I have [used photo hosting] on some occasions.
>
>> However, the *biggest* problem is that I prepare our church's newsletter
>> and then need to forward it to them for printing and mailing.
>> Eudora will almost never complete that task,
>> so I have to either send it via Yahoo or copy it to an external disk
>> and physically take it to the church office.
>
> Do you compose your newsletter as a single document (e.g. Word, PDF)
> and then attach it to an email?

I compose the newsletter as a Word document. I have a lot better computer
facilities than the church has! They have an old version of Word, and I
have Word 2007. So, I "save as" to a Word 1997-2003 document for them. I
actually prefer WordPerfect, but the secretary needs to be able to open the
document and possibly add a couple of last-minute entries before printing.
That is also the reason I can's save it as a PDF file before emailing. She
would be able to print it but could not add anything.

> Some "free file hosting" (upload using web browser, then send a link)
> has considerable capacity, e.g. 300MB per file here:
>
> http://www.filefactory.com

I'll look into this, but I have already created a template with a scanned
picture of the church, columns, etc. and have some religious clipart that I
use. So, I'm not sure if that would work. However, I'm not familiar with
free file hosting, so I need to look at it and see how that works.

> Perhaps someone from the church office has a little USB
> plug-in "stick" (nowadays often 2000MB for under $10),
> and can take it for you (if it doesn't get lost in their pocket :)

I already have some USB plug-in sticks and also have some Iomega portable
hard disks. So, I have used them for the purpose you described when I can't
get the attachment to work as email. However, that means a special trip to
the church, and it is more convenient if I can email.

> There are of course just work-arounds for some issue
> that's likely hardware related, but while still pondering
> where that problem lies, the job must still get done.

Thanks!
MaryL
> ---
>
> "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night
> stays these couriers from the swift completion
> of their appointed rounds."
>
> Sentence inscribed on the wall by architects
> who designed the New York General Post Office.
>
> It was taken from works of Herodotus and describes the expedition of the
> Greeks
> against the Persians under Cyrus, about 500 B.C. The Persians operated a
> system
> of mounted postal couriers, and the sentence describes the fidelity
> with which their work was done.
>
> http://www.panoramio.com/photo/12514
> http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6484521
> http://www.usps.com/news/2002/press/pr02_076.htm