From: neo [mvp outlook] on
You can't open a PST file by double clicking on it. PST files can only be
opened/closed via Outlook's user interface. For example, start Outlook and
select File > Open > Outlook Data File. To close a PST file, you right
click on "Personal Folders" is the folder list and select Close/Disconnect.
Another way to accomplish both is via the mail applet in the control panel
(e.g. Data Files buton).