From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[Another county heard from...]

Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed:
http://gawker.com/5559346/apples-worst-security-breach-114000-ipad-owners-exposed

unclemikenebr wrote:
> Who has time for this? Is this why people switch to Mac Computers?
<snip>

From: R. Melville R. on
Thanks for this cogent method to solve the problem. This was the first time I
have had a problem with a MS Update (KB979906).

It took nearly two hours to fix the darn thing, but it DID work.

As I was removing all of the .NET Framework pieces manually, I noticed that
the ADD/REMOVE programs screen from the control panel indicated that NONE of
these programs had ever been used since they were installed. If that
information is accurate, I am wondering why I have this stuff installed in
the first place!

From: remdds on

Same problem here on my PC. The MS TS email response I got was (basically
the same- just trying to complete the info contained in this post for all
those who come after):

The issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. At this time,
please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Step 1: Remove .NET Framework using removal tool

================================

1. Please download the tool from the following link:

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip
[Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a
company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or
otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. ]

2. Please save the zip file (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) from the above link
to the local Desktop and extract it.

3. Double click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.

4. Please follow the instructions given.

In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework – All
versions".

5. Click "Cleanup Now" button.

6. Restart the computer.

After performing these steps, please move on to the following suggestions
to reinstall .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and their updates.

Step 2: Install .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, and their updates

Please download and install the following updates in order.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/c/aac39226-8825-44ce-90e3-bf8203e74006/dotnetfx.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/b/4/8b4addd8-e957-4dea-bdb8-c4e00af5b94b/NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update(KB979906)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/0/A/C0A1E629-29B7-4B77-B43B-22631E81AD0C/NDP1.1sp1-KB979906-X86.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/6/e/c6e88215-0178-4c6c-b5f3-158ff77b1f38/NetFx20SP2_x86.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows
2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/0/1/A01064A3-CAB0-4851-9C54-56A980FF00EB/NDP20SP2-KB974417-x86.exe

Note: When the "File Download" window appears, please click "Save", and
follow the directions to save the file on the Desktop. After downloading all
the setup files, please double-click on each one to install them.

From: MowGreen on
R. Melville wrote:
> Thanks for this cogent method to solve the problem. This was the first time I
> have had a problem with a MS Update (KB979906).
>
> It took nearly two hours to fix the darn thing, but it DID work.
>
> As I was removing all of the .NET Framework pieces manually, I noticed that
> the ADD/REMOVE programs screen from the control panel indicated that NONE of
> these programs had ever been used since they were installed. If that
> information is accurate, I am wondering why I have this stuff installed in
> the first place!

Programs and applications that were installed by the OEM or you have
installed require the .NET Framework in order for them to function.
ATI's Catalyst Control Center and Quicken are 2 such apps/programs
amongst many others.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
That fix method will only make matters worse if .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) is
installed & removed!

remdds wrote:
> Same problem here on my PC. The MS TS email response I got was (basically
> the same- just trying to complete the info contained in this post for all
> those who come after):
>

> The issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. At this
> time,
> please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.
>
> Step 1: Remove .NET Framework using removal tool
>
> ================================
>
> 1. Please download the tool from the following link:
>
> http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Blog_Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip
> [Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a
> company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or
> otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. ]
>
> 2. Please save the zip file (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) from the above
> link
> to the local Desktop and extract it.
>
> 3. Double click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.
>
> 4. Please follow the instructions given.
>
> In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework – All
> versions".
>
> 5. Click "Cleanup Now" button.
>
> 6. Restart the computer.
>
> After performing these steps, please move on to the following suggestions
> to reinstall .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 and their updates.
>

> Step 2: Install .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0, and their updates

> Please download and install the following updates in order.
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/c/aac39226-8825-44ce-90e3-bf8203e74006/dotnetfx.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/7/567758a3-759e-473e-bf8f-52154438565a/dotnetfx.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/b/4/8b4addd8-e957-4dea-bdb8-c4e00af5b94b/NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update(KB979906)
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/C/0/A/C0A1E629-29B7-4B77-B43B-22631E81AD0C/NDP1.1sp1-KB979906-X86.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/6/e/c6e88215-0178-4c6c-b5f3-158ff77b1f38/NetFx20SP2_x86.exe
>
> Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows
> 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/0/1/A01064A3-CAB0-4851-9C54-56A980FF00EB/NDP20SP2-KB974417-x86.exe
>
> Note: When the "File Download" window appears, please click "Save", and
> follow the directions to save the file on the Desktop. After downloading
> all
> the setup files, please double-click on each one to install them.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: KB890830 (May 2010) Fails to install
Next: overloaded