From: R. C. White on
Hi, Laura.

Each of my stockbroker accounts can be reconciled, and I reconcile each of
them monthly. I've even added the Reconcile button to my Quicken Toolbar,
since Quicken does not provide that button for an Investment Account.

Until about a year ago, I made all entries in this account manually from my
keyboard, based on trade confirmations, dividend and interest notices, CMA
checks I wrote and deposits I made, and any other cash transactions that I
knew about, plus any new ones that showed up on the monthly statement. For
about a year now, I've been having Quicken download transactions daily, so
the reconciliation procedure may now seem redundant, but I haven't yet
stopped doing it.

To reconcile my Merrill Lynch account, for example, I click on ML in the
Accounts List to get to the ML Register. Then I click that Reconcile
button. (Without that button, I'd need to click Tools | Reconcile an
Account, as I told helpern earlier.) This pops up a small "Statement
Summary" window with lines for Starting Cash Balance, Ending Cash Balance,
and Statement Ending Date. The starting figure and today's date are already
filled in, so I enter the ending cash balance from the paper statement and
the date of that statement, then click OK. This presents the typical
Reconciliation screen, showing all the cash transactions entered in the ML
account for this month. Nowadays, all entries are already shown as
Reconciled, since they've been downloaded, but I make sure to match any that
are not already matched. When the "Difference" in the lower right corner
shows "0.00", I click Finish; by then, all the entries in the Register show
"R" in the first column.

You've probably seen my frequent rants about Quicken's inept handling of
Certificates of Deposit. My method, for several years, has been to put them
all into a single Investment Account called "CDs". Because of the
difficulty in getting Quicken to schedule interest income transactions,
whether compounded or received in cash, I've generally resorted to manually
recording interest income in the CDs register, adding to its cash balance,
and then letting the daily One Step Update record the Transfer of the
received cash to the checking account, after which I Match the transfer in
the checking account register. It's clumsy, but it works for me. And then
I Reconcile the cash balance in CDs monthly; it's almost always $0.00.

So, yes, MY Investment accounts can be reconciled. Perhaps yours are
single-asset accounts that don't include cash balances?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: helpern on
helpern had written this in response to
http://www.rockryno.com/quicken/Re-Cannot-manually-reconcile-investment-account-20454-.htm
:
Dear RC,

I stated the issue clearly at the beginning of the thread (which I
started). Quicken will not let me manually change the reconcile status of
any transaction within an investment account. It simply will not let me
change the status from say "c" to "R". Up to now, I have been able to do
this (i.e. update the reconciled status manually). There are no error
messages.

I did find this same issue recently posted on another thread at:
https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_post_full_view/bvT9AU8Yer3OGKacfAralO

BTW, why do you feel it necessary to be so condescending in your response?
You asked a question and I answered it. Frankly I find quoting the prior
context to make the thread needlessly long. If this is your attitude,
please simply find someone else (or thread) to take out your frustrations
on.

Dear Laura,

The account IS specified as an investment account. Also, you can in fact
reconcile investment accounts. Contrary to what RC wrote, this can be done
by going to Investing > Investing Activities > Reconcile an Account. To
use this you have to be in the register of the investment account. You can
also reconcile investment accounts by going to the Overview tab in the
particular account and then go to Options in the Account Status section
and select Reconcile this Account. I have manually reconciled my accounts
with my paper statements for years and I do not know why this capability
has suddenly changed.

-------------------------------------
Laura wrote:

> When you right click on the account name and select Edit, what type of
> account is specified? None of my Investment accounts have a register or
> can
> be reconciles. Only Bank and savings accounts can be reconciled.

> "helpern" <jhelpern_at_gmail_dot_com(a)foo.com> wrote in
> message
>> helpern had written this in response to

http://www.rockryno.com/quicken/Re-Cannot-manually-reconcile-investment-account-20430-.htm
>> :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using Quicken 2008 Deluxe Release R9. I just backed up my
>> data,
>> reinstalled Quicken, and it has the same issue.
>>
>> JH
>>
>> -------------------------------------
>> R. C. White wrote:
>>

>>> Hi, helpern.
>>
>>> Which version of Quicken?
>>
>>> Have you tried Tools | Reconcile an account?
>>
>>> RC
>>

>> ##-----------------------------------------------##
>> Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/
>> Tax and Accounting Software Forums
>> Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup -
>> alt.comp.software.financial.quicken - 19828 messages and counting!
>> ##-----------------------------------------------##

Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/
Tax and Accounting Software Forums
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken - 19853 messages and counting!
From: helpern on

From: R. C. White on
Hi, helpern.

> BTW, why do you feel it necessary to be so condescending in your response?

Sorry if I sounded condescending, helpern. What I really meant to convey
was frustration. And not really at you, but at
http://www.rockryno.com/quicken.

You see, I read your messages here in the Usenet newsgroup,
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken . I've never visited "rockryno.com" at
all, except now, to check out what you are using. You posted your question
in that "forum", which made you "Register" and everything, and probably gave
you a feeling of "belonging" to their group, and of getting expert advice
from other members of that group, advice not available to non-members.

Trouble is, the managers of that "forum" simply forwarded your question -
with no context at all except for their self-serving footnote - to this
Usenet newsgroup, where I read it and responded. Then rockryno.com posted
my response on their "forum", giving you the impression that you had
received a response from another member of that group. Rockryno did not
bother to tell you that they had broadcast your post to the whole world on
Usenet, and that the response had come from outside Rockryno.

Why do Rockryno's managers do this? For profit! Do you see all those ads
and links on the Rockryno forum pages? Each click there generates revenue
for Rockryno. Not for those of us who actually provided the advice - for
free. And not for you.

This Usenet newsgroup is for peer-to-peer support by and for Quicken users.
Many of us freely donate many hours a week to help our fellow Quicken users.
But we are not happy to generate revenue for leeches like Rockryno, who
simply relay questions and replies to and from Usenet, adding no value
themselves.

That's why I may have sounded condescending, helpern. I wonder if you will
even get to see THIS post. Rockryno's managers may filter it out so that
you and their other "members" will not learn the way their system works. As
of a few minutes ago, your message - the one to which I am now Replying -
had not yet appeared on Rockryno.com.

If you don't know about Usenet, just ask. If you do know about it, use your
newsreader (NOT your browser) to subscribe to
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken and join in our FREE discussions of the
good, the bad and the ugly facets of using Quicken. Heck, we won't even
make you Register. And, since we will be seeing your whole conversation,
not just the parts that Rockryno chooses to relay, you'll get much better
help and advice - faster - without going through the middleman.

See you around the newsgroups! ;<)

RC

From: Bob Wang on
I don't have a very long s**t list, but I think Rockryno.com just made the
cut ;-)