From: Mike Blake-Knox on
In article <hhrsad$8ul$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, John Pollard wrote:
> I'm not foolish enough to think that the television networks would
> voluntarily publish this, much less the school system: but today, we do
> not need to depend on traditional methods for the dispensing of
> information that results in "education".

Exactly, I was wondering about non-traditional approaches. Something that
distributed the education about the group into the responses to questions.
For instance, a line in frequent poster's signatures might help. Perhaps
something like "news://alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, Your source of
user to user Quicken help".

The problem with that specific text is that Windows doesn't provide a
functional, easy to use news reader. And news reader requires
configuration of the news server's hostname. As a result, a novice can't
just click on the URL. One could use Google Groups in the URL but some
long time Usenet users killfile messages originating there.

Mike

From: John Pollard on
Mike Blake-Knox wrote:
> In article <hhrsad$8ul$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, John Pollard
> wrote:
>> I'm not foolish enough to think that the television networks would
>> voluntarily publish this, much less the school system: but today, we
>> do not need to depend on traditional methods for the dispensing of
>> information that results in "education".
>

> Exactly, I was wondering about non-traditional approaches. Something
> that distributed the education about the group into the responses to
> questions. For instance, a line in frequent poster's signatures might
> help. Perhaps something like
> "news://alt.comp.software.financial.quicken, Your source of user to
> user Quicken help".
>
> The problem with that specific text is that Windows doesn't provide a
> functional, easy to use news reader. And news reader requires
> configuration of the news server's hostname. As a result, a novice
> can't just click on the URL. One could use Google Groups in the URL
> but some long time Usenet users killfile messages originating there.

Sounds fine to me; I'm trying it.

--

John Pollard

From: R. C. White on
Hi, John.

To illustrate, this works for me but probably won't work for you because you
are not a subscriber to Grande Communications:

You'll have to substitute the name of YOUR news server between news:// and
alt. (Would that be news.eternal-september.org ? That would make yours:
news://news.eternal-september.org/alt.comp.software.financial.quicken - but
that doesn't work for me.) And each reader will need to make a similar
substitution, so there's no good way that I know of to make a Sig with a URL
that works for everybody. :>(

The "news://" portion of a URL works much like "http://". It tells the
browser to use NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol), rather than HTTP
(Hypertext Transfer Protocol), to access the Internet. When Windows sees
this, it fires up your default newsreader, which might be OE or WM or WLM -
or a third-party client like Thunderbird or Agent, but I don't know anything
about those. What I say next relates to the MSFT newsreaders; YMMV if you
use something else.

The newsreader then tries to connect you to the NNTP server specified after
the "news://". If you already have an account on that server, it looks for
the newsgroup named after the final "/" in the URL and, if it finds that NG,
downloads the 300 newest messages there and displays the latest post in the
Reading Pane.

What happens if you don't have an account on that news server? I don't
really know. The Microsoft public news servers (msnews.microsoft.com) are
free and do not require a logon or password. (Anybody can click on
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop and
reach the NG for peer-to-peer support of WLM; the News Account on the MS
server will be created automatically if it doesn't yet exist.) Since I
already have a paid account on Grande Communications, I don't know what
happens to a non-subscriber.

Perhaps you could change the line in your Sig to something like:
> news://<YOUR NNTP SERVER here>/alt.comp.software.financial.quicken

And do not include the trailing comma.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
<SNIP>

From: John Pollard on
R. C. White wrote:
> Hi, John.
>
> To illustrate, this works for me but probably won't work for you
> because you are not a subscriber to Grande Communications:
>
> You'll have to substitute the name of YOUR news server between
> news:// and alt. (Would that be news.eternal-september.org ? That
> would make yours:
> - but that doesn't work for me.) And each reader will need to make
> a similar substitution, so there's no good way that I know of to make
> a Sig with a URL that works for everybody. :>(
> The "news://" portion of a URL works much like "http://". It tells
> the browser to use NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol), rather than
> HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol), to access the Internet. When
> Windows sees this, it fires up your default newsreader, which might
> be OE or WM or WLM - or a third-party client like Thunderbird or
> Agent, but I don't know anything about those. What I say next
> relates to the MSFT newsreaders; YMMV if you use something else.
>
> The newsreader then tries to connect you to the NNTP server specified
> after the "news://". If you already have an account on that server,
> it looks for the newsgroup named after the final "/" in the URL and,
> if it finds that NG, downloads the 300 newest messages there and
> displays the latest post in the Reading Pane.
>
> What happens if you don't have an account on that news server? I
> don't really know. The Microsoft public news servers
> (msnews.microsoft.com) are free and do not require a logon or
> password. (Anybody can click on
> and reach the NG for peer-to-peer support of WLM; the News Account on
> the MS server will be created automatically if it doesn't yet exist.)
> Since I already have a paid account on Grande Communications, I don't
> know what happens to a non-subscriber.
> Perhaps you could change the line in your Sig to something like:
>> news://<YOUR NNTP SERVER here>/alt.comp.software.financial.quicken
>
> And do not include the trailing comma.

Sorry about the goof; this isn't my area of expertise, and I certainly
wasn't paying attention to what I was doing when I created that signature.
Thanks for the insights.

I'm trying again; I think putting in my newserver would be more confusing
to more folks, than trying to tell the reader to substitute their own
newserver.

Hopefully this looks better.

--

John Pollard

From: Tyler Fox on
"John Pollard" wrote:

> R. C. White wrote:
>> Hi, helpern.
>>
>>> BTW, why do you feel it necessary to be so condescending in your
>>> response?
>>
>> Sorry if I sounded condescending, helpern. What I really meant to
>> convey was frustration. And not really at you, but at
>> http://www.rockryno.com/quicken.

>> If you don't know about Usenet, just ask. If you do know about it,
>> use your newsreader (NOT your browser) to subscribe to
>> alt.comp.software.financial.quicken and join in our FREE discussions
>> of the good, the bad and the ugly facets of using Quicken. Heck, we
>> won't even make you Register. And, since we will be seeing your
>> whole conversation, not just the parts that Rockryno chooses to
>> relay, you'll get much better help and advice - faster - without
>> going through the middleman.
>
> R.C.; Thanks for ferreting out this scam.
>
> If my memory will serve me, I will never respond to another post
> referred by that organization.
>
> I despise cheaters.

Don't be completely against "compilation forums" of this nature - I
would have had no idea this group existed without a website to inform me
about it, and now I no longer need to visit the website to see the
information from the group.