From: Wally on
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:35:57 +0100, "Lucas" <cauwels(a)xs4all.nl> wrote:

>"Wally" <Wally(a)luxx.com> schreef in bericht
>> My Canon 100-400mm lens is 7 days old. This morning while autofocusing
>> on a bird, it lost focus, started hunting, and then stopped focusing.
>> The focus was jammed at the minimum focus position. Manual focus
>> wouldn't work either.
>>
>> The zoom was at 400mm, and it was on a 40D camera.
>>
>> The situation was remedied by zooming in to less than 350mm. Then it
>> autofocused again for a moment, but then jammed again in the same
>> position. Turning the camera on/off makes no difference.
>>
>> After about 20 minutes of tinkering with it, the lens resumed normal
>> operation. But a few hours later it jammed again.
>>
>> Anybody else have this problem? Is there a remedy?
>>
>> The guy at the store where I bought it said to just keep using it till
>> it always does it, because it can't be fixed if it is not acting up.
>> But I think I will return the damn thing and let Canon deal with this
>> intermittent problem.
>>
>> Wally
>
>Did you try setting the AF-select switch to 6,5m and beyond?

No, because the subjects were usually closer than 6.5m.

Wally
From: Fred McKenzie on
In article <44toi5lc24cdqscos62qaoquhkpmpj8kcd(a)4ax.com>,
Wally <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote:

> The lens was hunting, unable to focus. Then I noticed it wouldn't
> focus on anything, near or far. The focus had stopped at 1.8 meters,
> the minimum focus distance. I tried the manual focus ring and it would
> not shift the focus -- it stayed on 1.8m. (This is a continuous manual
> focus lens -- manual can be used at any time, even when on AF.)
>
> Then I changed the zoom and that released the stuck focus system,
> until it happened again.

Wally-

So you have two problems.

When I've experienced a close-focus hang-up after failing to focus, it
was with a telephoto lens pointed at a distant object under low light
conditions. It was as if the AF system would give up and stop trying.
However, it would always clear up by pointing the camera at a nearby
object and refocusing.

I haven't used my 100-400mm lens enough to know if it would suffer a
mechanical seizure as yours has. To see if it is repeatable, try
deliberately focusing on an object that is much too close when set to
400mm. Try it also with mechanical focus. If it hangs up every time,
you can get it repaired.

There could be a misadjusted mechanical stop internal to your lens, that
lets the focus go too far.

Fred
From: celcius on

"Wally" <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:35:57 +0100, "Lucas" <cauwels(a)xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>>"Wally" <Wally(a)luxx.com> schreef in bericht
>>> My Canon 100-400mm lens is 7 days old. This morning while autofocusing
>>> on a bird, it lost focus, started hunting, and then stopped focusing.
>>> The focus was jammed at the minimum focus position. Manual focus
>>> wouldn't work either.
>>>
>>> The zoom was at 400mm, and it was on a 40D camera.
>>>
>>> The situation was remedied by zooming in to less than 350mm. Then it
>>> autofocused again for a moment, but then jammed again in the same
>>> position. Turning the camera on/off makes no difference.
>>>
>>> After about 20 minutes of tinkering with it, the lens resumed normal
>>> operation. But a few hours later it jammed again.
>>>
>>> Anybody else have this problem? Is there a remedy?
>>>
>>> The guy at the store where I bought it said to just keep using it till
>>> it always does it, because it can't be fixed if it is not acting up.
>>> But I think I will return the damn thing and let Canon deal with this
>>> intermittent problem.
>>>
>>> Wally
>>
>>Did you try setting the AF-select switch to 6,5m and beyond?
>
> No, because the subjects were usually closer than 6.5m.
>
> Wally,
I think the minimum distance to focus with that lens is 6m
Marcel

From: Wally on
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:17:25 -0500, "celcius" <celcius38(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> Wally,
>I think the minimum distance to focus with that lens is 6m
>Marcel

Now why would you think a thing like that? It's 1.8m.

Wally
From: celcius on

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:17:25 -0500, "celcius" <celcius38(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Wally,
>>I think the minimum distance to focus with that lens is 6m
>>Marcel
>
> Now why would you think a thing like that? It's 1.8m.
>
> Wally,
Sorry, Wally
I must have been elsewhere ;-(
I tried my lens today and it works fine.
However, A few weeks ago, I was out taking photos and the same thing
happened to me. I was trying to take a shot at 200m or so, and I couldn't
focus. I shut the camera off (5D Mark II) and it was working again.
Take care,
Marcel