From: Wally on
My Canon 100-400mm lens is 7 days old. This morning while autofocusing
on a bird, it lost focus, started hunting, and then stopped focusing.
The focus was jammed at the minimum focus position. Manual focus
wouldn't work either.

The zoom was at 400mm, and it was on a 40D camera.

The situation was remedied by zooming in to less than 350mm. Then it
autofocused again for a moment, but then jammed again in the same
position. Turning the camera on/off makes no difference.

After about 20 minutes of tinkering with it, the lens resumed normal
operation. But a few hours later it jammed again.

Anybody else have this problem? Is there a remedy?

The guy at the store where I bought it said to just keep using it till
it always does it, because it can't be fixed if it is not acting up.
But I think I will return the damn thing and let Canon deal with this
intermittent problem.

Wally
From: Ray Fischer on
Wally <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote:
>My Canon 100-400mm lens is 7 days old. This morning while autofocusing
>on a bird, it lost focus, started hunting, and then stopped focusing.
>The focus was jammed at the minimum focus position. Manual focus
>wouldn't work either.
>
>The zoom was at 400mm, and it was on a 40D camera.
>
>The situation was remedied by zooming in to less than 350mm. Then it
>autofocused again for a moment, but then jammed again in the same
>position. Turning the camera on/off makes no difference.
>
>After about 20 minutes of tinkering with it, the lens resumed normal
>operation. But a few hours later it jammed again.
>
>Anybody else have this problem? Is there a remedy?

Yep. Send it back to Canon or get a replacement.

If you fiddle with it too much you may void the warranty.

>The guy at the store where I bought it said to just keep using it till
>it always does it, because it can't be fixed if it is not acting up.

But then he's a salesdroid and it's his job to take your money and
then make you go away.

>But I think I will return the damn thing and let Canon deal with this
>intermittent problem.

That gets my vote.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Fred McKenzie on
In article <iqfoi5p7vc87905clnjv7m0aacu73edhuk(a)4ax.com>,
Wally <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote:

> This morning while autofocusing
> on a bird, it lost focus, started hunting, and then stopped focusing.
> The focus was jammed at the minimum focus position. Manual focus
> wouldn't work either.
>
> The zoom was at 400mm

Wally-

What do you mean when you say manual focus wouldn't work? Were you
trying to use the camera's AF system to determine if focus had been
achieved? Some AF systems have trouble with small f/stops, especially
in low light.

Even if your camera has an AF-assist light, the bird may have been
beyond its range.

Fred
From: Wally on
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 01:33:50 -0500, Fred McKenzie <fmmck(a)aol.com>
wrote:

>In article <iqfoi5p7vc87905clnjv7m0aacu73edhuk(a)4ax.com>,
> Wally <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote:
>
>> This morning while autofocusing
>> on a bird, it lost focus, started hunting, and then stopped focusing.
>> The focus was jammed at the minimum focus position. Manual focus
>> wouldn't work either.
>>
>> The zoom was at 400mm
>
>Wally-
>
>What do you mean when you say manual focus wouldn't work? Were you
>trying to use the camera's AF system to determine if focus had been
>achieved? Some AF systems have trouble with small f/stops, especially
>in low light.
>
>Even if your camera has an AF-assist light, the bird may have been
>beyond its range.

The lens was hunting, unable to focus. Then I noticed it wouldn't
focus on anything, near or far. The focus had stopped at 1.8 meters,
the minimum focus distance. I tried the manual focus ring and it would
not shift the focus -- it stayed on 1.8m. (This is a continuous manual
focus lens -- manual can be used at any time, even when on AF.)

Then I changed the zoom and that released the stuck focus system,
until it happened again.

Wally
From: Lucas on

"Wally" <Wally(a)luxx.com> schreef in bericht
> My Canon 100-400mm lens is 7 days old. This morning while autofocusing
> on a bird, it lost focus, started hunting, and then stopped focusing.
> The focus was jammed at the minimum focus position. Manual focus
> wouldn't work either.
>
> The zoom was at 400mm, and it was on a 40D camera.
>
> The situation was remedied by zooming in to less than 350mm. Then it
> autofocused again for a moment, but then jammed again in the same
> position. Turning the camera on/off makes no difference.
>
> After about 20 minutes of tinkering with it, the lens resumed normal
> operation. But a few hours later it jammed again.
>
> Anybody else have this problem? Is there a remedy?
>
> The guy at the store where I bought it said to just keep using it till
> it always does it, because it can't be fixed if it is not acting up.
> But I think I will return the damn thing and let Canon deal with this
> intermittent problem.
>
> Wally

Did you try setting the AF-select switch to 6,5m and beyond?