From: Charles on

"Wally" <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote in message
> My Canon 100-400mm lens is 7 days old. This morning while autofocusing
> on a bird, it lost focus, started hunting, and then stopped focusing.
> The focus was jammed at the minimum focus position. Manual focus
> wouldn't work either.
>
> The zoom was at 400mm, and it was on a 40D camera.
>
> The situation was remedied by zooming in to less than 350mm. Then it
> autofocused again for a moment, but then jammed again in the same
> position. Turning the camera on/off makes no difference.
>
> After about 20 minutes of tinkering with it, the lens resumed normal
> operation. But a few hours later it jammed again.
>
> Anybody else have this problem? Is there a remedy?
>
> The guy at the store where I bought it said to just keep using it till
> it always does it, because it can't be fixed if it is not acting up.
> But I think I will return the damn thing and let Canon deal with this
> intermittent problem.

Do return it as it has dirt in it or is out of spec, mechanically. It is
sticking for some reason.

From: SamSez on
Wally <Wally(a)luxx.com> wrote in news:52vpi59vsp0b1o0d27vdah2j3ph1fd98t0@
4ax.com:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:35:57 +0100, "Lucas" <cauwels(a)xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>>"Wally" <Wally(a)luxx.com> schreef in bericht
>>> My Canon 100-400mm lens is 7 days old. This morning while
autofocusing
>>> on a bird, it lost focus, started hunting, and then stopped focusing.
>>> The focus was jammed at the minimum focus position. Manual focus
>>> wouldn't work either.
>>>
>>> The zoom was at 400mm, and it was on a 40D camera.
>>>
>>> The situation was remedied by zooming in to less than 350mm. Then it
>>> autofocused again for a moment, but then jammed again in the same
>>> position. Turning the camera on/off makes no difference.
>>>
>>> After about 20 minutes of tinkering with it, the lens resumed normal
>>> operation. But a few hours later it jammed again.
>>>
>>> Anybody else have this problem? Is there a remedy?

If you bought it from somewhere with a good return policy, I would return
it immediately. If you explain that you could not use the full-time
manual focus ring -- that it was truly mechanically jammed -- they should
have no problem sending you a brand new one -- maybe even cross ship the
replacement [with a hold on your credit card].

Sam