From: Charles on

"simon" <webmaster(a)srsteel.co.uk> wrote in message
> "If you are starting with no bias or prior investments, handle them. "
>
> and maybe consider broadening your horizons...
>
> See AP magazine this month for a review of the 7D versus the Pentax K7.
> �300 quid cheaper and almost as good....

The OP asked about only two brands, but I certainly agree that Sony, Pentax,
Olympus and others are worth considering. This is more skill limited than
equipment limited ... a good photog with an average camera will outdo a
newbie with the latest rig 95% of the time.

From: Anon on

<editor(a)netpath.net> wrote in message
> Advantages and disadvantages of each - at the price range of the Canon
> 7D?

They are both just tools. It depends on whose hand's the tool is in.
Michelangelo with a hammer and chisle could free David from a block of
Marble, I would only end up with expensive gravel. I sculpt with light, he
did with Marble... Put a camera in his hands, who knows what?

Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony it really doesn't matter as long as you
understand the limits of your equipment.

Darrell Larose
Pentax Shooter
Ottawa

http://DarrellLarose.ca

From: ransley on
On Jan 27, 12:02 pm, "edi...(a)netpath.net" <edi...(a)netpath.net> wrote:
> Advantages and disadvantages of each - at the price range of the Canon
> 7D?

www.dpreview.com and other sites have reviews of both for you to
decide.
From: J. Clarke on
Anon wrote:
> <editor(a)netpath.net> wrote in message
>> Advantages and disadvantages of each - at the price range of the
>> Canon 7D?
>
> They are both just tools. It depends on whose hand's the tool is in.
> Michelangelo with a hammer and chisle could free David from a block of
> Marble, I would only end up with expensive gravel. I sculpt with
> light, he did with Marble... Put a camera in his hands, who knows
> what?
>
> Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony it really doesn't matter as long as you
> understand the limits of your equipment.

For general work this is true. For special purposes go with whichever one
has the pieces you need in its system or available from third parties.

From: Peter on
"Charles" <charlesschuler(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> <editor(a)netpath.net> wrote in message
>> Advantages and disadvantages of each - at the price range of the Canon
>> 7D?
>
> If you are already invested (lenses and accessories) then stick with your
> brand. They both can take awesome pictures.
>
> If you are starting with no bias or prior investments, handle them. They
> are different in terms of ergonomics. And, sometimes, a feature that
> might be important for your use.
>
> I repeat: they both can take awesome pictures.

Correction:
a photographer can take awesome pictures with either.

--
Peter