From: Peter on
"Charles" <charlesschuler(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "simon" <webmaster(a)srsteel.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "If you are starting with no bias or prior investments, handle them. "
>>
>> and maybe consider broadening your horizons...
>>
>> See AP magazine this month for a review of the 7D versus the Pentax K7.
>> �300 quid cheaper and almost as good....
>
> The OP asked about only two brands, but I certainly agree that Sony,
> Pentax, Olympus and others are worth considering. This is more skill
> limited than equipment limited ... a good photog with an average camera
> will outdo a newbie with the latest rig 95% of the time.

Yup! A more expensive camera does not make one a better photographer. If you
have the need for a feature then you should get that camera, if you can
afford it. Interestingly, Thom Hogan's review of the D3x makes it clear that
camera is not for beginners. He points out that your results will be worse
if you don't know what you are doing.

http://www.bythom.com/nikond3xreview.htm

--
Peter

From: David Ruether on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "Charles" <charlesschuler(a)comcast.net> wrote in message news:hjqi81$hmb$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...

>> The OP asked about only two brands, but I certainly agree that Sony, Pentax, Olympus and others are worth considering. This is
>> more skill limited than equipment limited ... a good photog with an average camera will outdo a newbie with the latest rig 95% of
>> the time.

> Yup! A more expensive camera does not make one a better photographer. If you have the need for a feature then you should get that
> camera, if you can afford it. Interestingly, Thom Hogan's review of the D3x makes it clear that camera is not for beginners. He
> points out that your results will be worse if you don't know what you are doing.
>
> http://www.bythom.com/nikond3xreview.htm
>
> --
> Peter

Of course, but we all know that the Nikopentasonolympunon will
out perform all the others, and it will cost less, too! 8^)
--DR

From: editor on
On Jan 28, 9:54 am, "Peter" <peter...(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
> "Charles" <charlesschu...(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> > The OP asked about only two brands, but I certainly agree that Sony,
> > Pentax, Olympus and others are worth considering.  This is more skill
> > limited than equipment limited ... a good photog with an average camera
> > will outdo a newbie with the latest rig 95% of the time.
>
> Yup! A more expensive camera does not make one a better photographer. If you
> have the need for a feature then you should get that camera, if you can
> afford it. Interestingly, Thom Hogan's review of the D3x makes it clear that
> camera is not for beginners. He points out that your results will be worse
> if you don't know what you are doing.

I've got LOTS of experience with a Sony DSC-D770 "bridge" camera - and
will be moving up to dSLR for (at least) some work now. FWIW, I've
done real well with the Sony - but want the flexibility of
interchangeable lenses and more zoom range.