From: PJR on
You are forgetting one thing Tom, file size.

That page took nearly 5 minutes to load on my 1mb broadband connection. I
think it probably would have crashed a dial-up connection, that or the user
would have most likely died of old age before it had finished loading.

Peter
_______________-

"Tom Hersh" <webforumsuser(a)macromedia.com> wrote in message
| Well that answers that. The reason for having it all on one canvas is
obvious.
| It is only one image instead of 20. Easier to insert one into a DW page
than
| 20. So, proably 6000 is the limit in FW and maybe in CS2 also. Thanks.
Tom

From: Alex MariƱo on
Tom,

Actually, CS2 will allow for a 10000 pixel high canvas, or larger.

I think your visitors might appreciate a series of images more than one
gigantic image.

alex

From: Tom Hersh on
It seems unanimous not to use a long canvas and to use multiple images. I think I'll try that route. Greatly appreciate the thoughts. Tom
From: Richard Mason on
On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Ilya Razmanov wrote

>In old FW, there was 6000 px limitation in both directions. That gives
>us 6000*6000=36000000 pixels maximum. Assuming single RGBA layer (4
>bytes per pixel), we get 4*36000000/1024=140625 Mb - full uncompressed
>size of such an image in RAM.

140625 KB not Mb

>Now I wonder where can you get that much.

It doesn't need that much.
The 32 bit OS requires that data is aligned on 32 bit word boundaries
but this doesn't mean that each and every pixel requires 4 bytes for
display.

In a displayed image (bitmap) scan line (one row of pixels) the total
number of bytes has to be divisible by 4 to make 32 bit words. For
example a single displayed pixel will have three bytes (RGB) plus one
extra byte (pad byte) to make it a 32 bit word. A three pixel image has
nine bytes (3 * 3 RGB) followed by three pad bytes to make 12 bytes, and
so divisible by four. These pad bytes have nothing to do with an Alpha
channel as any Alpha processing takes place before the image is
displayed.

A 6000*6000 pixel image requires 108000000 bytes.

--
Richard Mason