From: Henning on

"Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> skrev i meddelandet

> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> To the best of my recollection, "Let" was absolutly required as the
>>> property
>>> setter, in other words, there was a valid reason for the keyword. Call
>>> provides no such benefit in .NET. It accomplishes nothing.
>>
>> Let hasn't been required since Dartmouth BASICs. It was one of the very
>> first optional keywords.
>
> Then how else are you supposed to define a property's "setter" in VB 6.0?
>
>> I'm pretty sure the very earliest GW/IBM BASICs allowed it to be omitted.
>> Yep! As is becoming the typical case here, I'm right and you're just
>> making shxt up.
>
> How exactly is starting a sentence with "To the best of my
> recollection..." making stuff up? I'm not making up that "Let" was used
> as a property "setter".
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/77kezfet(VS.85).aspx
>
>> The following code is from ALPHABET.BAS, dated 04/08/1982, which shipped
>> with IBM PC BASIC v1.00 -- take a look at lines 90, 110, etc:
>
> Great! What's your point in showing it here?
>
> -Scott

About the same as showing dotnet code here.

/Henning

From: Rick Rothstein on
> PS: And about the other discussion about when the word Call appeared in
> BASIC, at least it was in the TI99/4A (year 1983). A TI99's program using
> Call is posted here:
> http://www.digitalstratum.com/programming/hkmaze_ti_xb
>
> The TI99: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TI-99/4A

It was there in 1981 when I bought my TI-99/4 also. Notice there was no 'A'
after the 4 in that earlier version (the 99/4 had a primitive "chicklet"
type keyboard replaced by a more normal looking keyboard in the 99/4A). The
Call keyword was used to make calls into hardware supplied routines (the
controlling Sprites come to mind for one). This arrangement allowed the
programmer to write some pretty sophisticated programs with minimum amounts
of code (a very important consideration in the interpreted TI-BASIC running
on 12,450+ bytes (yes, folks, the total program environment was about 12.5K
in size).

Hey, Eduardo, did you actually own a TI-99/4A or did you just Google it? If
you did own it, do you remember the 3rd party games TI-Asteroids and Shuttle
Command by a company named FFF Software? I was one of the F's.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

From: Eduardo on
Rick Rothstein escribi�:

> Hey, Eduardo, did you actually own a TI-99/4A

No, but a friend of mine had one.
We used to play Parsec: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsec_%28video_game%29

> or did you just Google it?

I remembered that microcomputers from that time had the keyword "Call",
but I couldn't remember exactly which one.
Another friend had a Radio Shack, and I believe it also used Call.
I had a Sinclair ZX81 (it didn't use Call), and after that a Commodore
64 (I don't remember if it had Call).
So I Googled about it, then when I found the "Call" in the TI99, my
memory became more clear and I could remember the Calls in my friend's
TI99 BASIC.
I wasn't a programmer at that time, but I used to play with BASIC.

> If you did own it, do you remember the 3rd party games TI-Asteroids and
> Shuttle Command by a company named FFF Software? I was one of the F's.

We played some other games, but I can't remember now. The only one we
played a lot was Parsec.

So, did you write one of the TI99 games?
From: Mike Williams on
"Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message

>> Make you a deal, Scotty. You be a good little troll and
>> go away and play somewhere else and I'll pretend that
>> you're not a troll at all.
>
> And, I guess I have my answer.

Yes you have. I'm glad you agree. The answer is that you are a troll,
Scotty. Now be a good troll and go play somewhere else.

Mike

From: Rick Rothstein on
I remember Parsec... that was one of the better TI (cartridge) games...
well, that along with the Donkey Kong game that Atari put out on their own
cartridge. If you want to relive your Parsec days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZgFAgmJkiE

There were three of us that made up FFF Software... I was the programmer,
Frank Della Rossa was the graphics man and Flavian Stellerine was the
documentation man. And, of course, we all collaborated on how the games
should play. We created and sold via mail order (advertised in the 99'er
Magazine) the TI-Asteroid and the Shuttle Command games. Both games required
TI Extended Basic. We were working on what I think would have been a great
game, up until TI decided to exit the personal computer market that is.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)