From: Tony Harding on
On 02/27/10 23:19, timdrouillard wrote:
> Actually what I do quite often is to buy the new Dell with the smallest
> HD available. When I get the system, I remove the HD and put it in a
> plastic storage container (along with all the documentation/CD's, etc )
> and store it in a safe place.
> I then buy a new HD (usually larger than the one that came with the
> system) to use, and load everything from scratch on it.
>
> That way if I ever have a need (for troubleshooting purposes, etc), I
> can always put the original HD back in the system and test it in the
> original configuration.

I'll echo Tim's suggestion. i.e., buy your own HDD and install your
system onto it, which is what I've done with my last 4-5 Dells (most
recently the XPS 9000, delivered 12/31/09). My drill is:

1. boot the system as received (which means registering, etc.)

2. validate that everything works

3. run Dell's option to return to the factory configuration (but don't
register anything!)

4. power OFF

5. swap out Dell's HDD (label it & put it aside) for my blank, new HDD

6. power ON and install my system, starting with Windows (Win 7
Professional in my case).

This way, when you return/sell/donate the computer, it's like opening
the box from Dell for the first time (which is a treat for some people).
This also guarantees no one sees any personal data.

Good luck with your new computer - please let us know how you make out.

TH
From: olfart on

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
> On 2/27/2010 10:42 PM, Daddy wrote:
>> My Studio XPS 8100 is on order.
>>
>> I've put together what I think is an essentially complete list of all
>> the software that's shipping with this PC...and I want none of it. (See
>> the list below.) Nor do I want Dell's factory restore partition (known
>> as PC-Restore) or its diagnostic partition.
>>
>> Bottom line: I'd like to erase the hard disk and reinstall Windows 7
>> only. (I'm eating crow here, since in the past I used to make fun of
>> people who did this. Such is life.)
>>
>> Here's where I need your advice:
>>
>> 1- Should I wait until after the 21-day return period to do this? In the
>> unlikely event that I have to return this computer due to a genuine
>> hardware problem, I don't want Dell to give me a hard time (and possibly
>> a re-stocking charge) because I wiped and reinstalled.
>>
>> 2- After the 21 days, if I should have a problem covered by the
>> warranty, am I going to have to restore the computer to the factory
>> image before Dell will even speak to me; or will I get some other kind
>> of grief from Dell for wiping and reinstalling?
>>
>> Thanks for your advice.
>>
>> Daddy
>>
>> Here's what I think is a complete list of what's coming on my PC:
>> Adobe Reader 9
>> CyberLink Power DVD (stripped-down OEM version)
>> DellConnect (re-branded GoToAssist)
>> Dell DataSafe (online backup)
>> Dell Dock by Stardock (a floating toolbar)
>> Dell Owners's Manual
>> Dell Security Center by McAfee
>> Dell Support Center
>> Dell Welcome (a nag screen asking you to register your computer)
>> Microsoft Works
>> Roxio Easy CD and DVD (stripped down OEM version)
>> Windows Live Search
>
> Of the items in the list, the only ones I would want is Adobe Reader 9.
> Personally, I have no need for anything else on the list. CDBurnerXP and
> Media Player Classic Home Cinema are superior to the corresponding cheesy
> OEM software, and they are free... Ben Myers

Might want to use Foxit Reader instead of the bloated Adobe reader

From: Christopher Muto on
olfart wrote:
> "Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
>> On 2/27/2010 10:42 PM, Daddy wrote:
>>> My Studio XPS 8100 is on order.
>>>
>>> I've put together what I think is an essentially complete list of all
>>> the software that's shipping with this PC...and I want none of it. (See
>>> the list below.) Nor do I want Dell's factory restore partition (known
>>> as PC-Restore) or its diagnostic partition.
>>>
>>> Bottom line: I'd like to erase the hard disk and reinstall Windows 7
>>> only. (I'm eating crow here, since in the past I used to make fun of
>>> people who did this. Such is life.)
>>>
>>> Here's where I need your advice:
>>>
>>> 1- Should I wait until after the 21-day return period to do this? In the
>>> unlikely event that I have to return this computer due to a genuine
>>> hardware problem, I don't want Dell to give me a hard time (and possibly
>>> a re-stocking charge) because I wiped and reinstalled.
>>>
>>> 2- After the 21 days, if I should have a problem covered by the
>>> warranty, am I going to have to restore the computer to the factory
>>> image before Dell will even speak to me; or will I get some other kind
>>> of grief from Dell for wiping and reinstalling?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your advice.
>>>
>>> Daddy
>>>
>>> Here's what I think is a complete list of what's coming on my PC:
>>> Adobe Reader 9
>>> CyberLink Power DVD (stripped-down OEM version)
>>> DellConnect (re-branded GoToAssist)
>>> Dell DataSafe (online backup)
>>> Dell Dock by Stardock (a floating toolbar)
>>> Dell Owners's Manual
>>> Dell Security Center by McAfee
>>> Dell Support Center
>>> Dell Welcome (a nag screen asking you to register your computer)
>>> Microsoft Works
>>> Roxio Easy CD and DVD (stripped down OEM version)
>>> Windows Live Search
>> Of the items in the list, the only ones I would want is Adobe Reader 9.
>> Personally, I have no need for anything else on the list. CDBurnerXP and
>> Media Player Classic Home Cinema are superior to the corresponding cheesy
>> OEM software, and they are free... Ben Myers
>
> Might want to use Foxit Reader instead of the bloated Adobe reader

only adobe acrobat reader provides thumbnail preview in windows explorer
icon view. so though you may not want to use it by default it is worth
having on the computer for this reason.
From: Christopher Muto on
Daddy wrote:
> My Studio XPS 8100 is on order.
>
> I've put together what I think is an essentially complete list of all
> the software that's shipping with this PC...and I want none of it. (See
> the list below.) Nor do I want Dell's factory restore partition (known
> as PC-Restore) or its diagnostic partition.
>
> Bottom line: I'd like to erase the hard disk and reinstall Windows 7
> only. (I'm eating crow here, since in the past I used to make fun of
> people who did this. Such is life.)
>
> Here's where I need your advice:
>
> 1- Should I wait until after the 21-day return period to do this? In the
> unlikely event that I have to return this computer due to a genuine
> hardware problem, I don't want Dell to give me a hard time (and possibly
> a re-stocking charge) because I wiped and reinstalled.
>
> 2- After the 21 days, if I should have a problem covered by the
> warranty, am I going to have to restore the computer to the factory
> image before Dell will even speak to me; or will I get some other kind
> of grief from Dell for wiping and reinstalling?
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> Daddy
>
> Here's what I think is a complete list of what's coming on my PC:
> Adobe Reader 9
> CyberLink Power DVD (stripped-down OEM version)
> DellConnect (re-branded GoToAssist)
> Dell DataSafe (online backup)
> Dell Dock by Stardock (a floating toolbar)
> Dell Owners's Manual
> Dell Security Center by McAfee
> Dell Support Center
> Dell Welcome (a nag screen asking you to register your computer)
> Microsoft Works
> Roxio Easy CD and DVD (stripped down OEM version)
> Windows Live Search

i would not reload it. just uninstall the dellconnect, datasafe,
stardock, mcafee, and windows live. reinstalling is really time
consuming and the above things are really quick and easy to remove. but
you asked about the downside to reinstalling; other than time i don't
think there is any. dell only provides software support for their oem
branded sofware for 30 days, and that support is pretty spotty anyway.
the only thing that the regular warranty covers is hardware and that can
be tested from outside of windows (though it can sometimes can be done
within windows). it's you computer so do what you want with it. if you
want to use some other operating system then you can call dell and
return the copy of windows that came with the system. it is pretty much
kept a secret that you can return the os, and it takes work and
escalation to a second tier customer service person, and it only get you
about $40-50 back so it is probably not worth the time and effort. but
i have done it out of principal on occasion when encountering problems
(vista).
From: Christopher Muto on
Christopher Muto wrote:
> Daddy wrote:
>> My Studio XPS 8100 is on order.
>>
>> I've put together what I think is an essentially complete list of all
>> the software that's shipping with this PC...and I want none of it.
>> (See the list below.) Nor do I want Dell's factory restore partition
>> (known as PC-Restore) or its diagnostic partition.
>>
>> Bottom line: I'd like to erase the hard disk and reinstall Windows 7
>> only. (I'm eating crow here, since in the past I used to make fun of
>> people who did this. Such is life.)
>>
>> Here's where I need your advice:
>>
>> 1- Should I wait until after the 21-day return period to do this? In
>> the unlikely event that I have to return this computer due to a
>> genuine hardware problem, I don't want Dell to give me a hard time
>> (and possibly a re-stocking charge) because I wiped and reinstalled.
>>
>> 2- After the 21 days, if I should have a problem covered by the
>> warranty, am I going to have to restore the computer to the factory
>> image before Dell will even speak to me; or will I get some other kind
>> of grief from Dell for wiping and reinstalling?
>>
>> Thanks for your advice.
>>
>> Daddy
>>
>> Here's what I think is a complete list of what's coming on my PC:
>> Adobe Reader 9
>> CyberLink Power DVD (stripped-down OEM version)
>> DellConnect (re-branded GoToAssist)
>> Dell DataSafe (online backup)
>> Dell Dock by Stardock (a floating toolbar)
>> Dell Owners's Manual
>> Dell Security Center by McAfee
>> Dell Support Center
>> Dell Welcome (a nag screen asking you to register your computer)
>> Microsoft Works
>> Roxio Easy CD and DVD (stripped down OEM version)
>> Windows Live Search
>
> i would not reload it. just uninstall the dellconnect, datasafe,
> stardock, mcafee, and windows live. reinstalling is really time
> consuming and the above things are really quick and easy to remove. but
> you asked about the downside to reinstalling; other than time i don't
> think there is any. dell only provides software support for their oem
> branded sofware for 30 days, and that support is pretty spotty anyway.
> the only thing that the regular warranty covers is hardware and that can
> be tested from outside of windows (though it can sometimes can be done
> within windows). it's you computer so do what you want with it. if you
> want to use some other operating system then you can call dell and
> return the copy of windows that came with the system. it is pretty much
> kept a secret that you can return the os, and it takes work and
> escalation to a second tier customer service person, and it only get you
> about $40-50 back so it is probably not worth the time and effort. but
> i have done it out of principal on occasion when encountering problems
> (vista).

ps. if you were to return the machine (and i have on occasion) i would
wipe the drive completely with something like boot and nuke. would not
want to accidentally send them any personal information that was left on
the drive and they re-image the drive when they receive it anyway so do
not care what is on it.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Requiem for a dead Dell