From: Bob Levine on
"Tony Harding" <tharding(a)newsguy.com> wrote in message

> Why, what's the advantage? Not going to maintain that Acrobat isn't
> bloated, but what improvement would someone like the OP or me see from
> making the switch? Besides, you can't beat thee price. :)

There is none and there might well be some disadvantages. PDF has come a
long long way from just a way to send an electronic proof.

It can now support transparency, form fields, movies, and various other
multimedia and interactive features. Many PDF readers have little or no
support for these.

Bob

From: Daddy on
Bob Levine wrote:
> "Tony Harding" <tharding(a)newsguy.com> wrote in message
>
>> Why, what's the advantage? Not going to maintain that Acrobat isn't
>> bloated, but what improvement would someone like the OP or me see from
>> making the switch? Besides, you can't beat thee price. :)
>
> There is none and there might well be some disadvantages. PDF has come a
> long long way from just a way to send an electronic proof.
>
> It can now support transparency, form fields, movies, and various other
> multimedia and interactive features. Many PDF readers have little or no
> support for these.
>
> Bob

I have been using Foxit Reader for more than a year and plan to continue
using it. Never going back to Adobe's bloated software and bulimic support.

All I ever do with PDFs is read them and, rarely, fill out a form. Foxit
does that just fine - as would most other PDF readers, I suppose.

Has anyone tried to remove PC Restore with DSRIRRemv2.exe command?

Daddy
From: Cmplx80 on
Tony Harding wrote:
> On 02/28/10 04:57, olfart wrote:
>> "Ben Myers"<ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message

>>> Of the items in the list, the only ones I would want is Adobe Reader 9.
>>> Personally, I have no need for anything else on the list. CDBurnerXP
>>> and
>>> Media Player Classic Home Cinema are superior to the corresponding
>>> cheesy
>>> OEM software, and they are free... Ben Myers
>>
>> Might want to use Foxit Reader instead of the bloated Adobe reader
>
> Why, what's the advantage? Not going to maintain that Acrobat isn't
> bloated, but what improvement would someone like the OP or me see from
> making the switch? Besides, you can't beat thee price. :)

One advantage of Foxit is that it has a document search function that is
actually usable. Somewhere around ver 8.0 or so, Adobe managed to
completely screw up the doc search function by opening the search in a
floating window that stupidly collapses to the task bar when losing
focus. This is second on the list of All Things Adobe and Idiotic only
to their inability to provide smooth, unobtrusive updates like the rest
of the zillion or so software companies. However, Adobe Reader
generally has a more readable display. To Adobe's favor, Foxit still
has that "washed out font" look, as well as having problems with some
fonts by rendering excessive gaps between characters.

Frank

From: Ben Myers on
On 3/2/2010 10:49 AM, Cmplx80 wrote:
> Tony Harding wrote:
>> On 02/28/10 04:57, olfart wrote:
>>> "Ben Myers"<ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message

>>> Might want to use Foxit Reader instead of the bloated Adobe reader
>>
>> Why, what's the advantage? Not going to maintain that Acrobat isn't
>> bloated, but what improvement would someone like the OP or me see from
>> making the switch? Besides, you can't beat thee price. :)
>>

> One advantage of Foxit is that it has a document search function that is
> actually usable. Somewhere around ver 8.0 or so, Adobe managed to
> completely screw up the doc search function by opening the search in a
> floating window that stupidly collapses to the task bar when losing
> focus. This is second on the list of All Things Adobe and Idiotic only
> to their inability to provide smooth, unobtrusive updates like the rest
> of the zillion or so software companies. However, Adobe Reader generally
> has a more readable display. To Adobe's favor, Foxit still has that
> "washed out font" look, as well as having problems with some fonts by
> rendering excessive gaps between characters.
>
> Frank

Hmm. I've been using Acrobat Reader 9.0 up thru 9.3, and I have never
seen "the search in a floating window". Instead, search is right up
there at the top and it stays there.

I agree that Adobe's DLM Download Manager is a useless piece of manure.
I wonder if it does any spying around your system while doing its
magic? ... Ben Myers
From: Cmplx80 on
Ben Myers wrote:
> On 3/2/2010 10:49 AM, Cmplx80 wrote:
>> Tony Harding wrote:

>>> Why, what's the advantage? Not going to maintain that Acrobat isn't
>>> bloated, but what improvement would someone like the OP or me see from
>>> making the switch? Besides, you can't beat thee price. :)
>>>

>> One advantage of Foxit is that it has a document search function that is
>> actually usable. Somewhere around ver 8.0 or so, Adobe managed to
>> completely screw up the doc search function by opening the search in a
>> floating window that stupidly collapses to the task bar when losing
>> focus. This is second on the list of All Things Adobe and Idiotic only
>> to their inability to provide smooth, unobtrusive updates like the rest
>> of the zillion or so software companies. However, Adobe Reader generally
>> has a more readable display. To Adobe's favor, Foxit still has that
>> "washed out font" look, as well as having problems with some fonts by
>> rendering excessive gaps between characters.
>>
>> Frank
>>

> Hmm. I've been using Acrobat Reader 9.0 up thru 9.3, and I have never
> seen "the search in a floating window". Instead, search is right up
> there at the top and it stays there.
>
> I agree that Adobe's DLM Download Manager is a useless piece of manure.
> I wonder if it does any spying around your system while doing its
> magic? ... Ben Myers

The search problem was a popular hate topic for some time on the Adobe
forums. You're probably talking about the local document search, which
is the simple textbox at the top of the window. The multi-document
search (the "binoculars" icon) is the goofy one.

Adobe lives to update. The "AdobeARM.exe" updater is forever vigilant
in its never-ending struggle to protect itself from whatever.

Frank
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Requiem for a dead Dell