From: Pete Dashwood on
docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
> In article <4KOdnbXYY6vHw_7WnZ2dnUVZ_oSdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
> HeyBub <heybub(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>> docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>>>
> [snip]
>
>> Pay attention to the point: A terrorist is NOT automatically a
>> criminal.
>
> Pay attention to the point: the Constitution states, black-letter,
> that people have rights. Such a denial of humanity has not, to the
> best of my knowledge, been legally codified.

You are right, it hasn't been.

My arguments here are predicated on it being axiomatic that inhuman
behaviour CAN be used to "deny humanity", and hence application of Human
Rights.

I know it is heresy, but it is certainly worth exploring.

While this is not a strong legal case, it is nonetheless, how I personally
feel about it.

(Actually, I wish I didn't feel that way, but the images of those burning
towers and people jumping off them, haunts me. It cannot be allowed to
happen and giving rights to the people who did it (and are proud of having
done it) just goes right against the grain. Whatever chance there may once
have been of me having any sympathy for their cause, evaporated when I saw
the means they employed.)

Pete.

From: Alistair on
On Feb 1, 4:54 pm, SkippyPB <swieg...(a)Nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:02:11 -0800 (PST), Alistair
>

> <alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >On Jan 31, 10:35 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
> ><dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

> >> No it isn't. I do NOT support capital punishment and I live in a country
> >> that doesn't. I do believe in rehabilition if there is the remotest chance
> >> of that working and have seen success in this area, right here in my own
> >> country. BUT, I have ALWAYS believed there are certian crimes which are so
> >> "beyond the pale" that the best we can do is simply remove the perpetrators.
> >> A little needle is the most humane way to do it.
>
> >> I hope this clarifies my position and if you can show it contradicts
> >> anything I have previously said (taken in full context) then I apologize.
>
> >Having once gone back through the archives to prove you wrong and
> >found that it was a futile effort, I shall take your word for it on
> >this one.

> >> So would making them conform to OUR system.
>
> >> Why not try them under Islamic law and then stone them to death?
>
> >Islamic law would find them innocent as their actions were those of
> >Jihadis and therefore within the pale of Islamic law.
>
> Not necessarily.  The Qur'an has a very strict definition of when it
> is permissible to carry out a Jihad.  It is far too lenghty to get
> into here but basically it says that permission to take up arms is
> hereby given to those who are attacked because they have been
> oppressed
>
> This is the first verse of the Qur’an in which the Companions of the
> Prophet who had migrated from Makkah (the Muhajirun) were given
> permission to fight back if they were attacked. The Qur’an says that
> these Companions were driven out of their homes because they believed
> that Allah was their Lord and as such were totally innocent. A little
> deliberation shows that this one sentence depicts the whole
> charge-sheet against the Quraysh. The reason for this is that no one
> is willing to leave his home unless he is oppressed for living there
> and thereby utterly compelled to migrate.
>
> The terrorists would have a very hard time showing any Islamic Court
> they had "permission" to perform a Jihad especially against innocents.

The terrorists have fatwahs to back them up. That is all the excuse
that they need.
From: Alistair on
On Feb 2, 12:18 am, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> Alistair wrote:
> > On Jan 31, 10:35 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
> > <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

> >> No it isn't. I do NOT support capital punishment and I live in a
> >> country that doesn't. I do believe in rehabilition if there is the
> >> remotest chance of that working and have seen success in this area,
> >> right here in my own country. BUT, I have ALWAYS believed there are
> >> certian crimes which are so "beyond the pale" that the best we can
> >> do is simply remove the perpetrators. A little needle is the most
> >> humane way to do it.
>
> >> I hope this clarifies my position and if you can show it contradicts
> >> anything I have previously said (taken in full context) then I
> >> apologize.
>
> > Having once gone back through the archives to prove you wrong and
> > found that it was a futile effort, I shall take your word for it on
> > this one.
>
> Thank you Alistair, I appreciate your graciousness.
>
> I promise you I am not vacillating here. It is complex, and discussions in
> the past have been about crime and punishment. I don't see this in those
> terms. Inhumanity is beyond crime in my book.

> >> So would making them conform to OUR system.
>
> >> Why not try them under Islamic law and then stone them to death?
>
> > Islamic law would find them innocent as their actions were those of
> > Jihadis and therefore within the pale of Islamic law.
>
> I guess that is getting to the nub of the thread. If the enemy is completely
> opposed to everything we hold dear, and they despise and vow to bring down
> our system, all of that can be seen as a clash of two cultures and may
> provide a reason to go to war.  We would rather it didn't come to that, but
> with some people, there is no option. That is a sad reality and has been
> throughout history. However, when they prosecute that war by means that are
> so awful, cowardly and despicable that it outrages humanity, then I believe
> we don't need to afford them consideration that we would to people who did
> not resort to such means.
>
> If we don't draw a line, then there is no point in having rights for
> ANYBODY. We should just revert to the guy with the biggest spear calling the
> tune...

I watched a documentary last night following a squad of Taliban in one
of the northern provinces of Afghanistan. I was struck by a number of
points:

1. The apparent support for the Taliban from the locals.
2. The incompetence of the Taliban (it took them three attempts to
ambush a tank transporter and all they succeeded in doing was wasting
one rpg (it missed) and detonating their roadside bomb after the event
because it failed to go off when the target approached).
3. The lies that the Taliban told their commander. They said they had
destroyed the tank and the 6-7 men escorting it. In fact they had
missed all targets. Further, they had claimed to have destroyed 6
tanks on the road in question but there was only evidence for the
destruction of one trailer or BMP (left over from the Russian
occupation).
4. The local police said that there were no Taliban in the area. This
despite the fact that the Taliban had been filmed shopping in the
local petrol station 2 days before the police visited the same shop.
5. That the Taliban had imposed local (sharia) law on the area
occupied and that they had become the de facto government because the
locals paid their taxes to the Taliban.

AND

6. One of the Taliban said (roughly): One thing that the US and
English should know is that when we have won the war in Afghanistan we
will come to Britain and Europe to impose Islam there.
From: Anonymous on
In article <7spacnFd4nU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>> In article <4KOdnbXYY6vHw_7WnZ2dnUVZ_oSdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
>> HeyBub <heybub(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
>>> docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>>>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> Pay attention to the point: A terrorist is NOT automatically a
>>> criminal.
>>
>> Pay attention to the point: the Constitution states, black-letter,
>> that people have rights. Such a denial of humanity has not, to the
>> best of my knowledge, been legally codified.
>
>You are right, it hasn't been.

We agree? Quick, somebody mark the calendar.

>My arguments here are predicated on it being axiomatic that inhuman
>behaviour CAN be used to "deny humanity", and hence application of Human
>Rights.
>
>I know it is heresy, but it is certainly worth exploring.

If one's enemy's inhuman behavior causes one to choose to act inhumanly
then one is acting in the manner of one's enemy... and if a oal of the
enemy is 'to have around only People Who Act Like Us' then one has become
one's enemy.

'When fighting monsters one must take care not to become one'... or
something like that.

DD

From: Howard Brazee on
On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 13:36:36 +1300, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>> Pay attention to the point: the Constitution states, black-letter,
>> that people have rights. Such a denial of humanity has not, to the
>> best of my knowledge, been legally codified.
>
>You are right, it hasn't been.
>
>My arguments here are predicated on it being axiomatic that inhuman
>behaviour CAN be used to "deny humanity", and hence application of Human
>Rights.

I have seen no evidence that there are inalienable rights. Therefore,
I believe I have an obligation to work at making sure that the rights
that I value are accepted by those in power. Especially those in
power who represent me and mine.

>I know it is heresy, but it is certainly worth exploring.
>
>While this is not a strong legal case, it is nonetheless, how I personally
>feel about it.
>
>(Actually, I wish I didn't feel that way, but the images of those burning
>towers and people jumping off them, haunts me. It cannot be allowed to
>happen and giving rights to the people who did it (and are proud of having
>done it) just goes right against the grain. Whatever chance there may once
>have been of me having any sympathy for their cause, evaporated when I saw
>the means they employed.)

I don't know that I ever had any sympathy for their cause. But I
also am aware that every nation has committed similar actions, killing
innocent people for their causes.

Furthermore, that has never been limited to nations, nor foreign
religious groups.

I also never had any sympathy for Timothy McVeigh & Terry Nichols. But
I am very glad that they had their days in court. I didn't want to
just find someone to punish, but we found the guilty parties. Too bad
those who influenced them are still selling their hatreds.

I also don't want to react in the way that those terrorists plan. I
don't like it when bin Laden gets us to fight his battles. I don't
like it when we turn our airports into police state airports (even
though the heroes in flight 93 solved that issue on 9-11). Bin Laden
would have preferred that we attack Saudi Arabia, but really didn't
expect that. As it was, he was very successful in getting us to do
what he wanted.

- James Madison