From: SkippyPB on
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:11:09 -0700, Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:26:39 -0500, Tony Harding
><tharding(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>>As The Fugs said > 40 years ago, "killing for peace is like f*cking for
>>chastity" (or words to that effect).
>
>That's how virgins are created...

The actual phrase is, "Killing for peace is like screwing for
virginity".

Regards,

--
////
(o o)

"Every time I walk into a singles bar I can hear Mom's wise words:
"Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been.""
-- Unknown
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve
From: Howard Brazee on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:39:50 -0500, SkippyPB
<swiegand(a)Nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:

>>>As The Fugs said > 40 years ago, "killing for peace is like f*cking for
>>>chastity" (or words to that effect).
>>
>>That's how virgins are created...
>
>The actual phrase is, "Killing for peace is like screwing for
>virginity".

Again, that's how virgins are created...

How about, ignoring the Constitution for suspected terrorists is like
destroying the village in order to save it?

- James Madison
From: Anonymous on
In article <834dc8a3-4800-4324-beb3-b87bc998cd52(a)b9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Jan 25, 1:35?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
>> In article
><f8a8a0a3-d02a-4ff8-b4be-a80dbb68e...(a)a22g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> Alistair ?<alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>> >My fundamentalist friend whenever we have arguments (about the age of
>> >the earth, etc.) asks for citations and says "that depends upon what
>> >you mean by...".
>>
>> This is one of the Very Good Reasons for beginning with agreed-upon
>> Definitions, Postulates and Common Notions before one begins to construct
>> Propositions for proof/disproof.
>>

>Second time around for me on this and the thought occured to me: if
>there is an omnipotent god then there can be no fundamental agreeable
>definitions as a god would have the power to change the definition at
>any moment.

As it seems there can be no ratio established between 'having all powers'
and 'having limited powers' - as 'all powers' can readily conclude powers
which are not part of the subset of 'the limited' - then any attempt to
reconcile an omnipotent being with a limited one can readily be concluded
to be an attempt to deal with an irrationality.

At least... I believe that this is part of how English As She Is Spoke
works.

DD

From: HeyBub on
Howard Brazee wrote:

> Again, that's how virgins are created...
>
> How about, ignoring the Constitution for suspected terrorists is like
> destroying the village in order to save it?

Gotta stamp this out every time I see it.

The Constitution offers only minimal protection to terrorists. The active
phrases in the Constitution are things like "In all criminal
prosecutions..." or "No person shall answer for a ... crime..."

Unlawful enemy combatants are not criminals. They do not have a
Constitutional right to a lawyer, trial by jury, indictment by a grand jury,
remain silent, or any of the other "rights" accorded violators of the
criminal law. What protections they DO have are found under Article II where
the President is blessed as Commander in Chief of the armed forces. The
president may do with unlawful enemy combatants whatever he chooses and his
decision cannot be gainsaid by anyone; not the Congress, not the courts.

A "lawful enemy combatant" is one who: 1) Wears a distinctive uniform or
insignia, 2) Carries arms openly, 3) Adheres to a defined chain of command,
and 4) Conforms to the usual rules of war. By extension, a combatant not
fulfilling all these attributes is an "unlawful" enemy combatant. This
designation includes saboteurs, spys, guerrillas, fifth-columnists,
resistance fighters, and the like, plus those assisting.

The usual way of dealing with these folks, since time immemorial, is to kill
them out of hand.

All this doesn't mean a terrorist can't be treated as a criminal, just that
whether he goes into the criminal justice system bucket or the military
tribunal bucket is often a discretionary decision. The Christmas bomber
could go either way; someone captured on the battlefield in Afghanistan
could, reasonably, be directed only to the military tribunal bucket (after
all, what U.S. criminal law has he broken?).

Point is, a terrorist does NOT get, nor is he entitled to, constitutional
protections when he is outside the criminal justice system. Another
significant point is that the citizenship of the terrorist is immaterial.
During WW2, we had, literally, hundreds of thousands of German and Italian
POWs in the U.S. (Texas alone had over 100 POW camps). A significant number
were U.S. citizens (think dual citizenship). Not a single prisoner ever had
a day in court for any reason (except for courts martial for offenses
committed while a POW).

From: Alistair on
On Jan 28, 7:34 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <834dc8a3-4800-4324-beb3-b87bc998c...(a)b9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
>

> Alistair  <alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >On Jan 25, 1:35?pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> >> In article
> ><f8a8a0a3-d02a-4ff8-b4be-a80dbb68e...(a)a22g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,

> >> [snip]

> >> This is one of the Very Good Reasons for beginning with agreed-upon
> >> Definitions, Postulates and Common Notions before one begins to construct
> >> Propositions for proof/disproof.
>
> >Second time around for me on this and the thought occured to me: if
> >there is an omnipotent god then there can be no fundamental agreeable
> >definitions as a god would have the power to change the definition at
> >any moment.
>
> As it seems there can be no ratio established between 'having all powers'
> and 'having limited powers' - as 'all powers' can readily conclude powers
> which are not part of the subset of 'the limited' - then any attempt to
> reconcile an omnipotent being with a limited one can readily be concluded
> to be an attempt to deal with an irrationality.
>
> At least... I believe that this is part of how English As She Is Spoke
> works.
>
> DD- Hide quoted text -

DD, you should know, better than most, that English is an evolving
language and is spoken in many different ways around the globe. I was
quite surprised when I looked up Wiki to see exactly how many dialects
there are, even in the UK.