From: Howard Brazee on
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:47:21 +1300, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>That's why I believe Democracy, while not being a perfect form of
>Government, is the only one that guarantees freedom.

There are no such guarantees in life.

- James Madison
From: SkippyPB on
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:15:07 -0700, Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:47:21 +1300, "Pete Dashwood"
><dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>That's why I believe Democracy, while not being a perfect form of
>>Government, is the only one that guarantees freedom.
>
>There are no such guarantees in life.

Actually there are two guarantees in life. First, it is guaranteed
you will die. Second, it is guaranteed you will pay taxes. All else
is optional.

Regards,
--
////
(o o)

"If a candle factory burns down, does everyone
just stand around and sing Happy Birthday?"
-- George Carlin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve
From: SkippyPB on
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:00:20 -0700, Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:48:57 -0500, SkippyPB
><swiegand(a)Nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Nanotechnology is lot closer than people realize. It is just not a
>>front page topic. See the US's effort (1.6 Billion budgeted for 2010
>>research) at:
>>
>>http://www.nano.gov/
>>
>>In addition, there are many things being discovered and built in that
>>arena that will be commercially available soon. One of the leaders is
>>my alma mater. You can read about that here:
>>
>>http://www.purdue.edu/dp/nanotechnology/
>>
>>These things will be a reality sooner rather than later.
>

>But what we see won't be quite what we're expecting. Same thing
>with quantum dots.
>
>It never is.

True, but baby steps are being taken and, as with a baby, longer
strides are not that far off.

Regards,
--
////

From: Howard Brazee on
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:11:42 -0500, SkippyPB
<swiegand(a)Nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:

>>>That's why I believe Democracy, while not being a perfect form of
>>>Government, is the only one that guarantees freedom.
>>
>>There are no such guarantees in life.
>
>Actually there are two guarantees in life. First, it is guaranteed
>you will die. Second, it is guaranteed you will pay taxes. All else
>is optional.

Note the "such". If I die right now, someone else will my taxes.

I was thinking, besides the "guarantee" part of the top quote, there
is considerable ambiguity in the word "freedom". A Singaporean type
dictatorship gives one a high degree of freedom from bandits, but
you'd better not get caught chewing gum. Democracies, when working
correctly only mean that the majority get to make the rules - as long
as it doesn't have outside limits (I very much value limiting the
power of all states).

- James Madison
From: Anonymous on
In article <7rq12bFqu7U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>> In article <7ro791Fsd3U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
>> Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>>> This was NOT an evil family; they were normal, law-abiding, decent
>>> folk. But there was an ingrained, handed-down, bigotry, that was
>>> wrapped in religion.
>>>
>>> The experience chilled me.
>>
>> E'en more bloodcurdling, Mr Dashwood, might be to remember that there
>> seem to be more folks who hold to such opinions than to the ones you
>> espouse... and by the Laws of Democracy that makes them Right, no?
>>

>No, Democracy gives you the right to be wrong.

Democracy, literally, is a rule of the people. If you wish to assert that
it is the method of rule that gives rights there may be a few folks who
disagree with that.

>I believe it is a right we
>should protect above all things. You can hold an opinion and speak about it
>(as long as we have Free Speech) and, by doing that, you may even change
>some minds. No matter how odious to me personally your opinion might be, I
>would defend vigourously your right to hold it and express it.

An opinion can be expressed by words or in actions... so when others
believe that what you call 'your property' is subject to confiscation
without due recompense you'll defend their rights to do so? Somehow I
doubt this.

>That's why I believe Democracy, while not being a perfect form of
>Government, is the only one that guarantees freedom.

I believe that the only guarantee is that there are no guarantees, this
statement included.

>And that, in passing, is the main reason I value this forum :-)
>

>>> Reading your post above, I can see the roots of her family's
>>> attitude.
>>>
>>> How do you change people's minds about this? How long does it take?
>>
>> I do not change minds, Mr Dashwood... I'se jes' a COBOL-codin' fool.
>
>That's a cop out.

That's a statement of existence. I do not change minds, I speak as I see
fit (within the limits of the law) and how others choose to integrate it
into their lives is something over which I have no control. Some may
react with 'Hey, I never thought of it that way before...' and others
might dismiss it with 'Another book-learned know-nothing stringing
together fancy words to try and make me think I know Something That's
Wrong isn't'.

>Before being a COBOL codin' fool you are a part of the
>society that permits you to be a COBOL codin' fool.. If you want to continue
>being a COBOL codin' fool you need to ensure that the society which allows
>it, continues to allow it, and that may require changing some minds... :-)

Once again, I do not change minds... were I able to do so there might be
fewer folks who gaze with longing on the Oldene Dayse when a man, his
children and his children's children were subject, by law, to chattel
slavery, when children were permitted to be chained to factory machinery
for 12-hour workdays and when education was available primarily to those
whose parents were able to afford them the leisure - L. 'scholium' - for
schooling.

>(You might even change your own mind...in a Democracy you have the same
>rights as everybody else... :-))

In a democracy one needs to be on guard against the demagoguges, as well.

>.
>> Some say the answer is found in early-age education, as pointed out
>> in the musical play/film 'South Pacific' (see 'You've Got to be
>> Carefully Taught')...
>>
>Yes, I remember your previous post on this. It is excellent.

Shucks... I'd blush, were I able to remember how.

DD