From: Howard Brazee on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 02:44:55 +1300, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>Whatever people may think of the Israelis, they are not idiots. Israel would
>only attack Iran if they believed there was a direct threat to the State of
>Israel from the Iranians.

Or somehow that attack helped them survive better from other enemies.

But we don't always do what is smart, especially when politics and
religion are involved. Israel could easily act idiotically,
everybody else has.

>The Iranians are not stupid either. Why risk
>everything in an overt attack when you can simply do it covertly, over a
>longer time period?

What is their goal here? Iran isn't hurt by Israel's existence. But
they do have internal and external political goals. Political goals
tend to require overtness.

>Most Arab states realise they will not destroy Israel by direct conflict.
>They don't need to. They can just foment unrest and give Israel an ongoing
>unsolvable problem.

It's useful to have a "bad guy" around. It distracts the populace
from internal problems.

And occasionally one can manipulate an enemy to do one's bidding - as
bin Laden did.

- James Madison
From: Alistair on
On Jan 22, 1:44 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

> Fortunately, as time goes by, people on both sides of this conflict are
> getting wiser. Eventually (and it will be a very long time) they will
> realise that continued warfare is in nobody's interest and they'll start
> trading and living together. As people become better educated, they are less
> likely to be strictly religious, and the the religious grounds for war
> recede.

Witness the CIA bomber (a doctor) in Afghanistan.

From: Howard Brazee on
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:05:17 -0800 (PST), Alistair
<alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On Jan 22, 1:44�pm, "Pete Dashwood"
><dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> Fortunately, as time goes by, people on both sides of this conflict are
>> getting wiser. Eventually (and it will be a very long time) they will
>> realise that continued warfare is in nobody's interest and they'll start
>> trading and living together. As people become better educated, they are less
>> likely to be strictly religious, and the the religious grounds for war
>> recede.
>
>Witness the CIA bomber (a doctor) in Afghanistan.

And certainly people educated in theology.

I haven't seen a good correlation between education or intelligence
and Righteousness that says the other guys are wrong and need to be
stopped or punished. This seems to be more innate.

- James Madison
From: SkippyPB on
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:33:41 -0500, "Charles Hottel"
<chottel(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

>"Howard Brazee" <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:47:21 +1300, "Pete Dashwood"
>> <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>>That's why I believe Democracy, while not being a perfect form of
>>>Government, is the only one that guarantees freedom.
>>
>> There are no such guarantees in life.
>>
>> --
>> "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
>> than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
>> to the legislature, and not to the executive department."
>>
>> - James Madison
>
>As of today's supreme court decision we are guaranteed that corporations can
>buy and sell our polititions.

As well as the unions and any other organization with deep pockets
thereby in the least case stymieing, and in the worst case, silencing
Joe Six-Pack's vote.

Regards,
--
////
(o o)

"If a candle factory burns down, does everyone
just stand around and sing Happy Birthday?"
-- George Carlin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve
From: SkippyPB on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 00:52:55 +1300, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>Charles Hottel wrote:
>> "Howard Brazee" <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote in message

>>> There are no such guarantees in life.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
>>> than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
>>> to the legislature, and not to the executive department."
>>>
>>> - James Madison
>>
>> As of today's supreme court decision we are guaranteed that
>> corporations can buy and sell our polititions.
>
>Commerce has ALWAYS bought political influence, right back to Babylonian and
>Assyrian times.
>
>The difference is that now you know about it... :-)
>
>Pete.

Just because they've always done it doesn't make it right. And it was
a rebellion against that kind of influence that helped form the U.S.
How soon we've forgotten.

Regards,
--
////