From: David H. Lipman on
From: "root" <NoEMail(a)home.org>

| David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>> From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>

>> ADDENDUM:

>> I forgot to mention, Cloning is OS independent.

| She needs to copy from a Maxtor (200Gb) to a
| WD (500Gb). Years ago I tried to help her
| using linux to copy to what is now her 200Gb
| drive when she was running Windows98. That
| failed, so she upgraded to XP and started
| from scratch. Now she wants to keep what
| she has and I am not confident in using
| linux.

| Thanks for responding.

I use Norton Ghost and Symantec Ghost. They are the ONLY Symantec products I swear by and
not swear at.

There is also Acronis True Image.

--
Dave

From: David W. Hodgins on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:58:56 -0400, root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:

> from scratch. Now she wants to keep what
> she has and I am not confident in using
> linux.

For a windows only method, see
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_copy_a_Windows_installation

The key is to update the DosDevices in the new copy of the
registry, prior to trying to boot from the new drive.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: ray on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 21:43:27 +0000, root wrote:

> A friend wants to expand her C: drive from 200Mb to 500Mb which would
> involve cloning the system disk to a new drive. She is running XP. I
> have absolutely no experience with Windows so I am unable to help/advise
> her. Is there a linux rescue CD that I can use to do the cloning or
> should she buy some proprietary software? If she has to buy something
> what should it be?
>
> Thanks for any help.

There are several ways to attack that problem. A couple of years ago, I
replaced the 40gb hard drive in my laptop with a 120gb one. It was quite
easy. Booted a Linux Live CD, used partimage to back up to an external
USB drive - swapped drives and restored.
From: root on
ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 21:43:27 +0000, root wrote:
>
>> A friend wants to expand her C: drive from 200Mb to 500Mb which would
>> involve cloning the system disk to a new drive. She is running XP. I
>> have absolutely no experience with Windows so I am unable to help/advise
>> her. Is there a linux rescue CD that I can use to do the cloning or
>> should she buy some proprietary software? If she has to buy something
>> what should it be?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>
> There are several ways to attack that problem. A couple of years ago, I
> replaced the 40gb hard drive in my laptop with a 120gb one. It was quite
> easy. Booted a Linux Live CD, used partimage to back up to an external
> USB drive - swapped drives and restored.

Will partimage update the boot sector? I guess from your
experience the answer must be yes.
From: ray on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:22:32 +0000, root wrote:

> ray <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 21:43:27 +0000, root wrote:
>>
>>> A friend wants to expand her C: drive from 200Mb to 500Mb which would
>>> involve cloning the system disk to a new drive. She is running XP. I
>>> have absolutely no experience with Windows so I am unable to
>>> help/advise her. Is there a linux rescue CD that I can use to do the
>>> cloning or should she buy some proprietary software? If she has to buy
>>> something what should it be?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> There are several ways to attack that problem. A couple of years ago, I
>> replaced the 40gb hard drive in my laptop with a 120gb one. It was
>> quite easy. Booted a Linux Live CD, used partimage to back up to an
>> external USB drive - swapped drives and restored.
>
> Will partimage update the boot sector? I guess from your experience the
> answer must be yes.

I don't recall the specifics, but it should be easy to repair, at any
rate - could use dd to copy boot record to a file and then copy from the
file to the boot record after the swap - I think that's what I did.