From: root on
A friend wants to expand her C: drive from 200Mb
to 500Mb which would involve cloning the system
disk to a new drive. She is running XP. I have
absolutely no experience with Windows so I
am unable to help/advise her. Is there a
linux rescue CD that I can use to do the cloning
or should she buy some proprietary software? If
she has to buy something what should it be?

Thanks for any help.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "root" <NoEMail(a)home.org>

| A friend wants to expand her C: drive from 200Mb
| to 500Mb which would involve cloning the system
| disk to a new drive. She is running XP. I have
| absolutely no experience with Windows so I
| am unable to help/advise her. Is there a
| linux rescue CD that I can use to do the cloning
| or should she buy some proprietary software? If
| she has to buy something what should it be?

| Thanks for any help.

SeaGate MaxBlast for seaGate hard disks
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=MaxBlast_5&vgnextoid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

--
Dave

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>

ADDENDUM:

I forgot to mention, Cloning is OS independent.

--
Dave

From: root on
David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
> From: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>
>
> ADDENDUM:
>
> I forgot to mention, Cloning is OS independent.

She needs to copy from a Maxtor (200Gb) to a
WD (500Gb). Years ago I tried to help her
using linux to copy to what is now her 200Gb
drive when she was running Windows98. That
failed, so she upgraded to XP and started
from scratch. Now she wants to keep what
she has and I am not confident in using
linux.

Thanks for responding.
From: Joe Makowiec on
On 30 Jul 2010 in comp.os.linux.misc, root wrote:

> A friend wants to expand her C: drive from 200Mb
> to 500Mb which would involve cloning the system
> disk to a new drive. She is running XP. I have
> absolutely no experience with Windows so I
> am unable to help/advise her. Is there a
> linux rescue CD that I can use to do the cloning
> or should she buy some proprietary software? If
> she has to buy something what should it be?

Clonezilla:

http://clonezilla.org/

I recently did just the operation you propose, and used the software
which came with the Seagate drive I installed. It worked perfectly.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/