From: Markus Kossmann on
Grant wrote:

> What about a 1TB Win7 x64 'dynamic' disk (with simple partitions)?
> No linux tools I've tried recognise the thing yet :(

There is a kernel config option called "CONFIG_LDM_PARTITION". Is this
option enabled in your kernel ?
For more info see http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/LDM_PARTITION.html
From: Mark Hobley on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 01:35:57 +0000, ray wrote:
>> Will partimage update the boot sector? I guess from your experience the
>> answer must be yes.
>
> I don't recall the specifics, but it should be easy to repair, at any
> rate - could use dd to copy boot record to a file and then copy from the
> file to the boot record after the swap - I think that's what I did.

You can backup and and restore Windows XP using tar.

Here is some information from my website:

== Backing Up ==

1. Ensure that a mountpoint directory exists for the Windows partition

cd /
mkdir /windows

2. Mount the Windows partition

mount /dev/hda2 /windows

This is assuming that Windows is installed on partition /dev/hda2

3. Make the mount point for the windows partition current

cd /windows

4. Backup the Windows partition

tar cvf /backup/winxp.tar --exclude=./pagefile.sys .

This will back up the entire Windows XP partition

== Restore ==

These instructions are for restoring the Windows partition, previously backed up using tar.

It is necessary to boot Linux and login with suitable permissions.

1. Ensure that a mountpoint directory exists for the Windows partition

cd /
mkdir /windows

2. Mount the Windows partition

mount /dev/hda2 /windows

This is assuming that Windows is installed on partition /dev/hda2

3. Make the mount point for the windows partition current

cd /windows

4. Delete any unwanted files from the root directory

rm *

5. Delete the previous windows installation

rm -rf windows

6. Delete the previous applications directory

rm -rf programs

7. Restore the files from the tar archive

tar xvf /backup/winxp.tar .

This will restore the Windows partition.

== Fixing the Windows XP Boot Record ==

This will repair a Windows XP boot record and make Windows XP bootable.

Note: This will not damage the Master Boot Record, so can be used on dual-boot systems.

1. Boot the computer from the Windows XP CDROM.

2. When prompted to press a key for system recovery, press the appropriate key.

3. When prompted for a Windows XP system to recover, select 1 for C:\WINDOWS

4. When prompted, type in the system administrator password for the system.

5. A list of files will appear on the screen.

6. Type fixboot c:

7. Type exit

8. The system will now reboot

--
Mark Hobley
Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

From: Grant on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 13:34:22 +0200, Markus Kossmann <mkossmann_n1(a)gmx.de> wrote:

>Grant wrote:
>

>> What about a 1TB Win7 x64 'dynamic' disk (with simple partitions)?
>> No linux tools I've tried recognise the thing yet :(
>>
>There is a kernel config option called "CONFIG_LDM_PARTITION". Is this
>option enabled in your kernel ?
>For more info see http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/LDM_PARTITION.html

Thanks, it's all new for me, looking at a friend's 1TB drive from a
recent Acer Win7 x64 PC with touchscreen, the latest fluff for 'doze.

Grant.
From: Grant on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 13:34:22 +0200, Markus Kossmann <mkossmann_n1(a)gmx.de> wrote:

>Grant wrote:
>

>> What about a 1TB Win7 x64 'dynamic' disk (with simple partitions)?
>> No linux tools I've tried recognise the thing yet :(
>>
>There is a kernel config option called "CONFIG_LDM_PARTITION". Is this
>option enabled in your kernel ?
>For more info see http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/LDM_PARTITION.html

"It does not support GPT labelled Dynamic Disks yet as can be created
with Vista."

Hmm, reading that, I got the complication here of windows GPT dynamic,
seems the GPT part not supported yet in Linux, but I'm still exploring ;)

Of course, Linux documentation is usually out of date, so there's hope
yet.

Grant.
From: Bud on
On 2010-08-01, Grant wrote:

> "It does not support GPT labelled Dynamic Disks yet as can be created
> with Vista."
>
> Hmm, reading that, I got the complication here of windows GPT dynamic,
> seems the GPT part not supported yet in Linux, but I'm still exploring ;)
>
> Of course, Linux documentation is usually out of date, so there's hope
> yet.
>
> Grant.

Grant, I called my nephew, the winders nut and even went to
college to become a bigger winders nut, and he has not heard of
GPT. But reccomends that you try a dogpile search.
--
Bud