From: TomB on
On 2010-07-30, the following emerged from the brain of Joe Makowiec:
> On 30 Jul 2010 in comp.os.linux.misc, root wrote:
>
>> A friend wants to expand her C: drive from 200Mb
>> to 500Mb which would involve cloning the system
>> disk to a new drive. She is running XP. I have
>> absolutely no experience with Windows so I
>> am unable to help/advise her. Is there a
>> linux rescue CD that I can use to do the cloning
>> or should she buy some proprietary software? If
>> she has to buy something what should it be?
>
> Clonezilla:
>
> http://clonezilla.org/
>
> I recently did just the operation you propose, and used the software
> which came with the Seagate drive I installed. It worked perfectly.

Clonezilla is very good. I have also used ping in the past:

http://ping.windowsdream.com

--
BOFH excuse #262:

Our POP server was kidnapped by a weasel.
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-07-30, root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:

> A friend wants to expand her C: drive from 200Mb
> to 500Mb which would involve cloning the system
> disk to a new drive. She is running XP. I have
> absolutely no experience with Windows so I
> am unable to help/advise her. Is there a
> linux rescue CD that I can use to do the cloning
> or should she buy some proprietary software? If
> she has to buy something what should it be?

Any recent linux rescue CD will have NTFS tools that can be used to
back up and then clone an NTFS filesystem.

--
Grant

From: James Moe on
On 07/30/2010 02:43 PM, root wrote:
> A friend wants to expand her C: drive from 200Mb
> to 500Mb [...]
Mb (mega-bit)? I'm sure you mean MB (mega-byte). The "b" is case
sensitive to distinguish between bit and byte.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com
From: Grant on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 21:02:11 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 2010-07-30, root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:
>
>> A friend wants to expand her C: drive from 200Mb
>> to 500Mb which would involve cloning the system
>> disk to a new drive. She is running XP. I have
>> absolutely no experience with Windows so I
>> am unable to help/advise her. Is there a
>> linux rescue CD that I can use to do the cloning
>> or should she buy some proprietary software? If
>> she has to buy something what should it be?
>
>Any recent linux rescue CD will have NTFS tools that can be used to
>back up and then clone an NTFS filesystem.

What about a 1TB Win7 x64 'dynamic' disk (with simple partitions)?
No linux tools I've tried recognise the thing yet :(

Except smartctl, it happily reports HDD info and ran the short
and long offline tests.

gdisk, gparted, clonezilla don't see the thing, though I'm
uncertain what clonezilla can see since I've not used it before,
backed out before I risked doing a damage.

Back in slackware64-13.1 on the box with that drive, preparing
some backup space on other drives that I can point at for
another try with clonezilla. Looking at the drive for a
friend, so I don't want to risk losing data off it.

Suggestions for other partition exploring tools? I want to copy
the recovery partition to a new drive, but cannot read on-disk
partitions properly yet.

Grant.
From: Grant on
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 21:02:11 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 2010-07-30, root <NoEMail(a)home.org> wrote:
>
>> A friend wants to expand her C: drive from 200Mb
>> to 500Mb which would involve cloning the system
>> disk to a new drive. She is running XP. I have
>> absolutely no experience with Windows so I
>> am unable to help/advise her. Is there a
>> linux rescue CD that I can use to do the cloning
>> or should she buy some proprietary software? If
>> she has to buy something what should it be?
>
>Any recent linux rescue CD will have NTFS tools that can be used to
>back up and then clone an NTFS filesystem.

What I meant to ask too, is it safe to mount the Acer Win7 x64
style recovery partition with ntfs-3g?

Grant.