From: Grant on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 18:44:20 +0000 (UTC), Bud <Bud(a)bud.invalid.msn.com> wrote:

>On 2010-08-01, Grant wrote:
>>
>> "It does not support GPT labelled Dynamic Disks yet as can be created
>> with Vista."
>>
>> Hmm, reading that, I got the complication here of windows GPT dynamic,
>> seems the GPT part not supported yet in Linux, but I'm still exploring ;)
>>
>> Of course, Linux documentation is usually out of date, so there's hope
>> yet.
>>
>> Grant.
>
>Grant, I called my nephew, the winders nut and even went to
>college to become a bigger winders nut, and he has not heard of
>GPT. But reccomends that you try a dogpile search.

Thanks, dogpile still around? I stopped using it a decade ago ;)

All over now, I discovered enough information to do what want, which
is a zero hard drive and start over, two sector copy chunks: start
with the important bits, and the last 1MB, which has the partition
table.

Seems MSFT have heir own variation on this. gdisk (GPT fdisk) and
fdisk when switched to non-dos mode both showed sector numbers that
pointed to partitions that had an NTFS boot sector, so I'm confident
I found the partition locations :)

Wiped the disk to zeroes overnight:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M of=/dev/sdc
dd: writing `/dev/sdc': No space left on device
953870+0 records in
953869+0 records out
1000204886016 bytes (1.0 TB) copied, 10931.8 s, 91.5 MB/s

That's three hours to write zeroes to 1TB.

Running restore now (dd), then I'll restore data partitions and
data under Win7.

Times like this is when one keeps a careful log of events and
commands issued, and takes their time doing the dirty stuff ;)

Thanks to all for help :)

Grant.