From: Shaun Eli on
Thanks Bob. A lot of the issue is that here in NY (and in LA) clubs
are showcases-- I may get 5-20 minutes on stage, along with a bunch of
other comics. There's really no time/place to set up equipment. A
camera in the back of the room, okay, but not stuff all over the
place. It's pretty much only at my own shows that I can have a camera
next to the stage, pointing at the audience.

Plus, one thing I like about stand-up comedy is that, unlike
musicians, we don't have to lug stuff around from gig to gig!

From: Ron on
On 22/12/2009 18:52, Shaun Eli wrote:
> Thanks Bob. A lot of the issue is that here in NY (and in LA) clubs
> are showcases-- I may get 5-20 minutes on stage, along with a bunch of
> other comics. There's really no time/place to set up equipment. A
> camera in the back of the room, okay, but not stuff all over the
> place. It's pretty much only at my own shows that I can have a camera
> next to the stage, pointing at the audience.
>
> Plus, one thing I like about stand-up comedy is that, unlike
> musicians, we don't have to lug stuff around from gig to gig!

Tell Bill Bailey that!
From: Tim Perry on

"Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
> On 22/12/2009 18:52, Shaun Eli wrote:
>> Thanks Bob. A lot of the issue is that here in NY (and in LA) clubs
>> are showcases-- I may get 5-20 minutes on stage, along with a bunch of
>> other comics. There's really no time/place to set up equipment. A
>> camera in the back of the room, okay, but not stuff all over the
>> place. It's pretty much only at my own shows that I can have a camera
>> next to the stage, pointing at the audience.
>>
>> Plus, one thing I like about stand-up comedy is that, unlike
>> musicians, we don't have to lug stuff around from gig to gig!
>>
> Tell Bill Bailey that!

Anyone know how big Gallagher's road crew is?

Anyway I just bough a Zoom Q3 to play with.
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/q3/

From: McSteve on
"Joe Kotroczo" wrote:
> http://cbhsalumni.org/celebrities/celebrity_propper_g.htm

While most of that page is accurate, Propper was not the
first guy to have a surfboard marketed with his name on it.
He was the first East Coaster.
In the industry, that is called a "signature" model. The first
person was Phil Edwards, another member of the Hobie
team in the 60s. The Edwards model debuted in 1964.
Another distinction is that Edwards actually hand shaped
many of the boards that bore his name. Propper did not.
Propper was involved in the design stages, but had no
hands-on experience building surfboards.

And, yes...anyone who worked major gigs in the Cocoa Beach
area during the 80s probably came in contact with Propper's
organization.

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: Denny Strauser on
McSteve wrote:
> "Denny Strauser" wrote:
>> I could tell you some more interesting comedy stories, but I'd probably
>> embarrass myself....
>>

> I worked at two different clubs through the 80s and 90s that had
> regular comedy nights. Just about any up and coming comic from
> the NYC and Boston area worked those clubs. Many went on to
> do quite well in TV and movies.
> Rock musicians have nothing on comics when it comes to raising
> hell or indulging. At least, that's how it was in those days.
> As far as Gallagher and Carrott Top go....
> Sure, they have more gear than most comedians. But, most comedians
> are funnier than they are, and don't need gimmicks.
> At one time, both of them were managed by Gary Propper. Former
> East Coast surfing star from Florida who was one of the creators of
> Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Some pedigree, eh?

I only saw Carrot Top on TV before the show I worked, & I didn't expect
much. But he did a great show. Much of his comedy couldn't be put on
broadcast TV. His props & special FX were impressive. His ad-lib stuff
was smart & had the crowd going. It was one of the best comedy shows
I've done. Honestly...

- Denny