From: Denny Strauser on
Denny Strauser wrote:
> McSteve wrote:
>> "Denny Strauser" wrote:
>>> I could tell you some more interesting comedy stories, but I'd
>>> probably embarrass myself....
>>>

>> I worked at two different clubs through the 80s and 90s that had
>> regular comedy nights. Just about any up and coming comic from
>> the NYC and Boston area worked those clubs. Many went on to
>> do quite well in TV and movies.
>> Rock musicians have nothing on comics when it comes to raising
>> hell or indulging. At least, that's how it was in those days.
>> As far as Gallagher and Carrott Top go....
>> Sure, they have more gear than most comedians. But, most comedians
>> are funnier than they are, and don't need gimmicks.
>> At one time, both of them were managed by Gary Propper. Former
>> East Coast surfing star from Florida who was one of the creators of
>> Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Some pedigree, eh?
>
> I only saw Carrot Top on TV before the show I worked, & I didn't expect
> much. But he did a great show. Much of his comedy couldn't be put on
> broadcast TV. His props & special FX were impressive. His ad-lib stuff
> was smart & had the crowd going. It was one of the best comedy shows
> I've done. Honestly...
>
> - Denny

Maybe I should have mentioned that he had more Pyrotechnics than many
glam-bands. Lasers.... I could go on-and-on-and-on. He had a sound man,
a light man, & a special-FX/sound-FX man. Great show.
- Denny
From: Shaun Eli on
Yeah, well, Gallagher and Carrot Top are not the typical comic. Most
of us don't use props.

When I was in college (and for 10 years afterward) I was on the rowing
team. I was always a bit jealous of the runners and swimmers, since
they just had to show up. We had to transport huge boats, oars, etc.

Then later when I became a comic I realized it was reversed-- I just
had to show up and talk, but musicians had to carry stuff.

I'm sometimes at Gotham Comedy Club in NY. Also in LA from time to
time-- was just there, and hope to be back in March. Bob, I'll try to
let you know where/when I'm playing in LA, I assume it's okay to call
the number you posted.

-S
From: Denny Strauser on
Shaun Eli wrote:
> Yeah, well, Gallagher and Carrot Top are not the typical comic. Most
> of us don't use props.
>
> When I was in college (and for 10 years afterward) I was on the rowing
> team. I was always a bit jealous of the runners and swimmers, since
> they just had to show up. We had to transport huge boats, oars, etc.
>
> Then later when I became a comic I realized it was reversed-- I just
> had to show up and talk, but musicians had to carry stuff.
>
> I'm sometimes at Gotham Comedy Club in NY. Also in LA from time to
> time-- was just there, and hope to be back in March. Bob, I'll try to
> let you know where/when I'm playing in LA, I assume it's okay to call
> the number you posted.

Let me know if you come to Pittsburgh; the email attached to my name is
valid. Comedy is tough. You have no one else to save you on a bad night
or with a tough crowd. I used to book a club, & I booked Mark Eddie for
a St Patrick's day show - he had killed on previous shows (rock venue -
musical comedy). His most memorable show for all the wrong reasons. He
just couldn't connect with the drunked frat-boy crowd that day; the
jokes went over their drunken heads.

On the flip side, I opened for Steve Martin back in the mid-to-late
'70's. As a musician, I'd naver open for a comedian again. "Get off the
stage. WE WANT STEVE MARTIN!" Nightmare..... Steve Martin was just
starting out then. BTW, he was a very nice, humble guy, driving himself
all over the country in a rental car.

From: McSteve on

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: Ty Ford on
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:39:37 -0500, McSteve wrote
(in article <hgrsb7$u63$1(a)aioe.org>):

> East Coast surfing star from Florida

That's a joke, right?

Regards,