From: Richard Webb on
On Tue 2037-Dec-22 00:10, Joe Kotroczo writes:
>> He's a one man band. I don't see separate sound as feasible.

> Bollocks. He's using a PA. Which means he's got a vocal mic inches
> from his mouth. Put up another mic as audience mic, feed the camera
> from an aux of the PA mixer, and Bob's your uncle.

Was thinking the same. THere's a pa involved somewhere, a
camera with decent audio inputs fed from an aux on the mixer and he's good to go.

> Does need a cam with sound inputs though... Or record to DAT or
> whatever, and sync in post.

True, and even with the alc etc. if you set levels
conservatively you should never trigger that junk, least
that's the theory.

Regards,
Richard
From: GregS on
In article <8ab_200912221003(a)ftn.wpusa.dynip.com>, Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com (Richard Webb) wrote:
>On Tue 2037-Dec-22 00:10, Joe Kotroczo writes:
>>> He's a one man band. I don't see separate sound as feasible.
>
>> Bollocks. He's using a PA. Which means he's got a vocal mic inches
>> from his mouth. Put up another mic as audience mic, feed the camera
>> from an aux of the PA mixer, and Bob's your uncle.
>
>Was thinking the same. THere's a pa involved somewhere, a
>camera with decent audio inputs fed from an aux on the mixer and he's good to
> go.
>
>> Does need a cam with sound inputs though... Or record to DAT or
>> whatever, and sync in post.
>
>True, and even with the alc etc. if you set levels
>conservatively you should never trigger that junk, least
>that's the theory.d

Cameras differ. Some can take a lot more input into the first amplifier before
the ALC. I have also used and external mic with attenuation of at least 10 dB.
15 to 20 dB should make most not overload. Thats probably strickly DIY.

greg

From: Shaun Eli on
Okay, time for my reply. Or replies.

First of all, thanks so much to everyone for the help! I didn't know
that Adobe Audition existed (and it has a free 30 day trial). It
works much better than other Adobe software I've used (Premiere
Elements didn't work on my machine even though it far exceeds the
required specs, and Photoshop Elements works but it's really, really
slow to load and not very intuitive to use). So I got rid of much of
the boominess via reducing the bass (I have other software that'd do
this but Audition seems to work better and their noise reduction is
better also). Of course my voice sounds much higher-pitched after
doing this but it's still okay for my purposes.

I think I hear the distortion more on my TV than on my computer
because my TV probably equalizes for a false bass and that exaggerates
the distortion.

I can't do anything about the AGC on my existing camera but I now have
a second camera which seems to work better, and I use the old camera
to point at the audience so at least the speakers aren't blasting
directly at it. The newer camera, at least so far, sounds better.

Yes, clubs have sound boards. They also usually have policies against
letting anyone plug into them because random people who don't know
what they're doing can cause damage or at least screw things up.

Synching the audio and video's not easy and getting it close enough so
that it doesn't look lip-synched takes a lot of trial and error, but
fortunately I won't have to do it that often.

The popping noise actually somehow got introduced later in the
process-- I went back to the original audio/video file and it's not
there. I am now working off that, so the popping's gone.

I looked into a wireless external mike to place on/near the stage, but
what might work with my consumer camera appeared to be very
expensive. It may be easier to buy a better camera that's made to
take a wireless mike, but that's a bulky thing to carry around and I'm
not all that comfortable leaving $1500 worth of equipment sitting at
the back of a room when I'm on stage. It's easily knocked over (or
taken).

As far as just scrapping the clips that have problems-- not easy to
do-- there are particular clips that I really want to use, and they're
not reproduceable in any other random show because every audience is
different.

I've gotten it mostly cleaned up, and the finished product will be
here in about a week:
http://brainchampagne.com/School.html
(the page is already there but the video's not on it yet)

thanks again,

Shaun

From: Ty Ford on
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:15:35 -0500, Richard Webb wrote
(in article <8ab_200912221003(a)ftn.wpusa.dynip.com>):

> True, and even with the alc etc. if you set levels
> conservatively you should never trigger that junk, least
> that's the theory.
>
> Regards,
> Richard

That's not funny!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

From: Denny Strauser on
Tim Perry wrote:
> "Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
>> On 22/12/2009 18:52, Shaun Eli wrote:
>>> Thanks Bob. A lot of the issue is that here in NY (and in LA) clubs
>>> are showcases-- I may get 5-20 minutes on stage, along with a bunch of
>>> other comics. There's really no time/place to set up equipment. A
>>> camera in the back of the room, okay, but not stuff all over the
>>> place. It's pretty much only at my own shows that I can have a camera
>>> next to the stage, pointing at the audience.
>>>
>>> Plus, one thing I like about stand-up comedy is that, unlike
>>> musicians, we don't have to lug stuff around from gig to gig!
>>>
>> Tell Bill Bailey that!
>
> Anyone know how big Gallagher's road crew is?

I did a show with Carrot Top a few years ago. We had 14 loaders to
unload his semi. With rock shows, we usually had 4.

- Denny