From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 23/12/2009 15:03, in article
0001HW.C7578D56003BE78BF0284530(a)News.Individual.NET, "Ty Ford"

http://cbhsalumni.org/celebrities/celebrity_propper_g.htm

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: McSteve on
"Ty Ford" wrote:
McSteve wrote
>> East Coast surfing star from Florida
>
> That's a joke, right?

Not at all. Gary Propper was the first person from the East Coast
to make a name for himself in the world of competitive surfing.
He was signed by Hobie surfboards around 1967, and lent his
name to his own "signature" model surfboard. At that time, Hobie
was essentially the #1 surfboard brand, world wide. The board that
bore Propper's name became the largest selling 'model' of the 60s.
After he retired from surfing competition he went on to become a
concert promoter, which led to his association with Gallagher and
Carrott Top. He made a nice bundle off the Mutant Ninja Turles, too.

Hobie Surfboards ad from 1967, featuring Propper and his model.
http://i48.tinypic.com/95pset.jpg

Your skepticism might be based on the fact he's from Florida?
That would be misplaced. The person who is considered to be the
top professional surfer in the world, Kelly Slater, is also from FLA.
He's from the same area as Propper, in fact. He's a nine time world
champion, and is probably the highest paid pro surfer, ever. I believe
his major sponsor contract was a five year deal totaling $10 million.
Just Google the name Kelly Slater, if you care to.

So, whatever the reason you took it as a "joke", it was based in fact.

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: Ty Ford on
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:48:22 -0500, McSteve wrote
(in article <hgtai2$gv3$1(a)aioe.org>):

> So, whatever the reason you took it as a "joke", it was based in fact.

As a journalist, I found pinning him to Florida editorially and juxtaposing
that with his surfing prowess very amusing. The sentence would not hold the
humor aspect if Florida had been absent.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

From: McSteve on
"Ty Ford" wrote:
> As a journalist, I found pinning him to Florida editorially and
> juxtaposing
> that with his surfing prowess very amusing. The sentence would not hold
> the
> humor aspect if Florida had been absent.

I think you're making unfounded assumptions. As a journalist,
you should know that's a bad way to approach a subject.
But, I can understand where your ideas may stem from. The
general public is prone to making many wrong assumptions
about surfing.
Have you ever spent much time on the central coast of Florida?

--
Steve <snip> McQ