From: Surfer on
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:05:47 +0000 (UTC), bz
<bz+spr(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:

>It seems strange to me that he totally neglects to mention the 'gravity
>boost' and 'slingshot effect', assuming that the inbound speed should equal
>the outbound speed.

No he hasn't neglected them.

The boost/slingshot effect comes about because the space craft falls
towards Earth, and then falls backout so that it keeps its relative
velocity to Earth the same on the way in as out, but since Earth is
moving, Earth's speed around the sun gets added to the spacecraft's
speed.

The first paragraph of his Introduction says something similar:

"Planetary probe spacecraft (SC) have their speeds increased, in the
heliocentric frame of reference, by a close flyby of the earth, and
other planets. However in the earth frame of reference there should be
no change in the asymptotic speeds after an earth flyby, assuming the
validity of Newtonian gravity, at least in these circumstances."

>He also neglects to mention the fact that the energy transfer from planet
>to flyby craft is effected by the direction of rotation of the planet.
>
>http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/gravity_assist.html
>http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Gravitational-slingshot
>
>It seems strange for someone "expert in the field" to neglect such factors.

All the known factors have already been investigated by others so
there is no need for him to look into them.

The reason the anomaly exists is because there is a very small effect
that cannot yet be explained by any known factor. There is quite a
good article about it here.
http://www.planetary.org/news/2008/0228_Researchers_Investigate_New_Cosmic.html

From: Edward Green on
On Apr 8, 1:57 am, Surfer <n...(a)spam.please.net> wrote:
> The following paper presents a set of figures (Table 1) that are
> compelling evidence for in vacuo light speed anisotropy.
>
> The observed (O) values are from [1]
> The predicted (P) values are calculated assuming the speed of light is
> truely constant only with respect to a dynamical 3-space.

OK.

What is a dynamical 3-space?
From: Dono on
On Apr 8, 7:13 am, Surfer <n...(a)spam.please.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 06:39:28 -0700 (PDT), Dono <sa...(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

> >So, have a quick look at paragraph 2 in Cahill new "discovery".
> >It is the Ives-Stilwell experiment explained via ballistic theory. Old
> >hat. Bad hat.
> >We already know the correct explanation of the experiment. It is
> >called special relativity.
>
> I don't see what past failures to detect light speed anisotopy have to
> do with this new evidence.

....but the whole paper revolves around eq(7) which is Cahill's bad
explanation for the Doppler effect.Actually , it is downright riddled
with elementary mistakes.
Reg Cahill, your hero, is not comptent to write the correct Doppler
equations, a freshman task.
I will not correct the errors because I like you and him to continue
to make spectacles of yourselves.

From: Surfer on
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:16:55 -0700 (PDT), Edward Green
<spamspamspam3(a)netzero.com> wrote:

>On Apr 8, 1:57�am, Surfer <n...(a)spam.please.net> wrote:
>> The following paper presents a set of figures (Table 1) that are
>> compelling evidence for in vacuo light speed anisotropy.
>>
>> The observed (O) values are from [1]
>> The predicted (P) values are calculated assuming the speed of light is
>> truely constant only with respect to a dynamical 3-space.
>
>OK.
>
>What is a dynamical 3-space?

Its the idea that 3 dimensional space is a physical medium that
contains dynamic processes.

There is a description here.

Dynamical 3-Space: A Review
http://arxiv.org/abs/0705.4146

From: Surfer on
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 07:42:55 -0700 (PDT), Dono <sa_ge(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>His "equation 7" is nothing but ballistic theory as applied to the
>Ives-Stilwell experiment...

There is a significant difference. The Ives-Stilwell experiment
attempted to measure the doppler shift of photons emitted from fast
moving hydrogen atoms.
However, the hydrogen atoms would experience time dilation which would
affect the frequency of the emitted photons.

Now if the speed of light varies with direction, then time dilation
will also vary with direction, and if these effects cancel the
variable speed of light would be completely hidden.

In contrast, when radar doppler shift is used to measure the speed of
space craft, the radar signal is simply reflected from the spacecraft,
so is immune to spacecraft time dilation effects.

That difference could explain why anisotropy in the speed of light is
so clearly observed in the spacecraft case.