From: Dono on
On Apr 12, 6:47 am, Surfer <n...(a)spam.please.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 00:31:45 -0700 (PDT), Dono <sa...(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

> >> "The repeated detection of the anisotropy of the speed of light ....
>
> >... all the experiments
> >designed to detect it came up null withing the error bars.
>
> It depends on how the experiments are analysed.
> Opinions differ, as you know.

Yes, the crackpot opinions differe from mainstream, I agree :-)
From: Tom Roberts on
Surfer wrote:
> [...]
> [1] Anderson J.D., Campbell J.K., Ekelund J.E., Ellis J. and Jordan
> J.F.,
> Anomalous Orbital-Energy Changes Observed during Spaceraft Flybys of
> Earth, Phys. Rev. Lett.,100, 091102, 2008.

I have not had time to study the references (including the above). Given
his history of stupid mistakes and outrageous claims, I have little
interest in Cahill's analysis. But the data themselves are interesting
-- a second type of spacecraft anomaly is intriguing....

Somewhere among the references someone said something like "the speed in
the earth-centered frame is unchanged", which is wrong. That is true
ONLY in a local ECI frame in which all other gravitational fields are
negligible, and here both of those conditions are probably not good
approximations to the accuracy required. It is tantalizing that the
anomaly is about one part per million, which "just happens" to be the
magnitude of the curvature of spacetime near earth. So I have to wonder
if this is related to an inaccurate approximation in the coordinates
used in the analysis.

IOW: the speed of light in the coordinates used might not be
isotropically c to sufficient accuracy over the distances involved.

This is NOT a simple thing to check....

Tom Roberts
From: Surfer on
On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:07:56 -0700 (PDT), Dono <sa_ge(a)comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Apr 12, 6:47 am, Surfer <n...(a)spam.please.net> wrote:

>> >... all the experiments
>> >designed to detect it came up null withing the error bars.
>>
>> It depends on how the experiments are analysed.
>> Opinions differ, as you know.
>

>Yes, the crackpot opinions differe from mainstream, I agree :-)

Concerning the flybys, here is a mainstream opinion.
http://www.planetary.org/news/2008/0228_Researchers_Investigate_New_Cosmic.html

<Start extract>
Anderson, Campbell, and Jordan, along with JPLers John E. Ekelund and
Jordan Ellis, spent 18 months closely analyzing the data from all
Earth flyby's. By the time they were done they had come up with a
formula that accurately predicted the size of the anomaly based on the
spacecraft's flight path. The extent to which the velocity of a
spacecraft deviates from its expected value during a flyby, they
found, depends of the difference in latitude (or "declination")
between the spacecraft's incoming and outgoing trajectories. The
greater the difference in latitude, the greater the anomalous velocity
shift after the flyby.

The spacecraft NEAR, for example, approached Earth from a
near-equatorial latitude, but left close to a polar latitude.
According to the formula, this large difference between the two should
result in a substantial flyby anomaly, and this was indeed the case.
The NEAR flyby became most clear-cut case-study for the mysterious
effect. MESSENGER, in contrast, approached and departed along nearly
the same latitude, which according to the formula should result in a
miniscule effect. And indeed, no flyby effect was detected in the
MESSENGER data.

But as Anderson points out, coming up with a mathematical formula that
can predict an effect is very different from having a physical
explanation for it. Could it be some as yet undiscovered physical
force, or something known as "dark energy" at work? Such revolutions
in physics, Anderson mused, don't happen very often, but in the
absence of a better explanation such radical hypotheses cannot be
ruled out. "The formula doesn't suggest anything to us" he readily
admitted, but perhaps some physicists will be able to come up with an
explanation.
<End extract>

Cahill has provided an explanation that works very well.
I know you don't like it, but do you know of any alternatives?

From: Tom Roberts on
Surfer wrote:
> [...]
> Now if the speed of light varies with direction, then time dilation
> will also vary with direction, and if these effects cancel the
> variable speed of light would be completely hidden.

Do you come up with theories by throwing darts at a dartboard?

> In contrast, when radar doppler shift is used to measure the speed of
> space craft, the radar signal is simply reflected from the spacecraft,
> so is immune to spacecraft time dilation effects.

Not in GR. In GR (speaking rather loosely, but good enough here) the
"time dilation" of a clock is related to both its speed and the value of
the metric at its location, compared to the same quantities at the
location of the observer's clock. The metric also affects the path of
light rays, and the speed of light measured over a path along which the
metric varies need not be c. That, in turn, can affect the observed
Doppler shift.

In this case, the metric clearly varies over the relevant signal
path(s). I do not yet know if the experimenters took that into account,
or whether they simply used a local ECI frame. Nor do I yet know if this
is significant at the level of the measurements.

> That difference could explain why anisotropy in the speed of light is
> so clearly observed in the spacecraft case.

This is not "clearly observed" at all -- they observed an anomaly in the
Doppler shift of signals, not any speed. It is important to keep track
of the actual observation, because different models can give different
values for other quantities.

It's remarkable how often people unfamiliar with the actual
operation of science make the same mistakes. For instance,
this is the same basic mistake Van Flandern makes.

Tom Roberts
From: Dono on
On Apr 12, 9:08 am, Surfer <n...(a)spam.please.net> wrote:

> Cahill has provided an explanation that works very well.
> I know you don't like it, but do you know of any alternatives?

No , Cahill provided paragraph 2, the one that is rife with rookie
mistakes.
Like him, you are trying to give some respectability to the paper by
attempting to associate it with a respectable reference.
"Rag" Cahill does this all the time, he comes up with a short
paragraph (mistake-ladden) and tries to associate it with mainstream
references. In the past, I have pointed out his mistakes, I don't do
it anymore because I don't want him to correct them, I like him
stooopid as he is :-)
I will tell you one last time: you (and Rag) do not understand
relativistic Doppler effect. Paragraph 2 is nothing but a risible
attempt to reconstruct the effect by using ballistic theory. Maybe