From: Denny Strauser on
Tim Perry wrote:
> "Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> While mixing down a few album tracks, I used a Pro Tools multi-band
>> compressor, and didn't need gates that the producer/engineer had used
>> mixing previous tracks. He liked my idea better & went back & remixed
>> drums like me on those tracks.
>>
>>> If the drummer hits consistently, the comps aren't even needed. If the
>>> drummer suddenly starts beating it like it was a rattlesnake that needs
>>> to be stomped to death you can turn off the mics and it still can take
>>> your head off.
>> It also helps if drums are tuned well ......
>
> goes without saying, but it worth saying again.
>
>> especially, the need of gates.
>
> I don't understand this point. The object (at lest for me) is to mute the
> mics that are not in use at any given time.
> Now, I'm talking a typical rock, country gig with large amount of stage
> 'wash'.

I understand the reply, but you snipped my full reply. I still don't
understand completely, but I did what my ears told me to do. I was
actually mixing down a live 24-track recording, & I tried the multi-band
compressor. It worked well. There were no feedback issues mixing down a
recording.

- Denny
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2