From: Richard Webb on
TIm PErry writes:
> I guess by combat audio I meant situations with minimal setup time,
> no sound check, dial it in on the fly.
I interpreted it that way.

> Im doing big band on Wednesday, weather permitting, six saxes on a
> subgroup, 4 bones, 4 trumpet, number of mics vary depending on
> stage setup. drummer 'needs' a full mic kit, bass, guitar, keys,
> perc, and then vocals and a switchable announce mic. comps will be
P> on drums, bass, keys... keys keeps cranking up and down during the
> show.

DOn't keys feed you the individual keyboards via di? IF so
sounds like he needs to work with his patches, then turn up
and down his stage amplification as needed <grin>.

wHen playing keys I always liked to just provide an aux of
the small mixer I used to drive my stage rig if I couldn't
di individually. IF I was running a Leslie I had a volume
pedal on whatever board I was using for organ sounds driving it, so that I had good dynamics control of it.

When another guy played keys with the outfit I'm thinking
about and I ran sound for them I'd feed the LEslie mics and
the keys' mixer output to a subgroup, compress lightly if
needed. wIth that band the bass man was the guy I really
needed a comp for as his dynamics were all over the place.

Regards,
Richard
.... Remote audio in the southland: See www.gatasound.com
From: Tim Perry on

"Denny Strauser" <dsdennysound(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Tim Perry wrote:
>> Bear in mind that a compressor only reduces level by a certain amount
>> after a certain threshold. While I do use them on drums I find the gate
>> to be the more effective tool in getting the kind of sound I want.
>
> While mixing down a few album tracks, I used a Pro Tools multi-band
> compressor, and didn't need gates that the producer/engineer had used
> mixing previous tracks. He liked my idea better & went back & remixed
> drums like me on those tracks.
>
>> If the drummer hits consistently, the comps aren't even needed. If the
>> drummer suddenly starts beating it like it was a rattlesnake that needs
>> to be stomped to death you can turn off the mics and it still can take
>> your head off.
>
> It also helps if drums are tuned well ......

goes without saying, but it worth saying again.

> especially, the need of gates.

I don't understand this point. The object (at lest for me) is to mute the
mics that are not in use at any given time.
Now, I'm talking a typical rock, country gig with large amount of stage
'wash'.

From: Tim Perry on
>> Im doing big band on Wednesday, weather permitting, six saxes on a
>> subgroup, 4 bones, 4 trumpet, number of mics vary depending on
>> stage setup. drummer 'needs' a full mic kit, bass, guitar, keys,
>> perc, and then vocals and a switchable announce mic. comps will be
> P> on drums, bass, keys... keys keeps cranking up and down during the
>> show.
>
> DOn't keys feed you the individual keyboards via di? IF so
> sounds like he needs to work with his patches, then turn up
> and down his stage amplification as needed <grin>.

The band is steadaly improving, however playing live is just different
enough from practice that some things are less then ideal.
For example I have persuaded the drummer to put a hole in his kick

The monitoring setup makes a rock band seem easy in comparison.

The keys uses a tripod mounted active speaker for a monitor. It faces out
covering most of the band from behind. It is not within reach of keyboardist
during the show... however, you have given me an idea.... DI followed by
passive mixer then the active speaker. Now if I can get her to use it....

From: Steve M on
"Tim Perry" wrote:
> "Denny Strauser" wrote:
>> It also helps if drums are tuned well ......
>> especially, the need of gates.
>
> I don't understand this point.

Have you never encountered a drum that was
poorly tuned and consistently rang at a certain
frequency? It just 'hangs' there and will often go
into feedback state.
A gate is really handy in chopping that 'ring'
off and eliminating the annoyance. I have been
thankful to have gates in a rack for just that reason,
many times. Typically occurs with larger rack and
also floor toms. Especially floors that are tuned really
low and 'flabby'.

--
Steve McQ

From: Tim Perry on

"Steve M" <mcsteve1350x(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> "Tim Perry" wrote:
>> "Denny Strauser" wrote:
>>> It also helps if drums are tuned well ......
>>> especially, the need of gates.
>>
>> I don't understand this point.
>
> Have you never encountered a drum that was
> poorly tuned and consistently rang at a certain
> frequency? It just 'hangs' there and will often go
> into feedback state.

If so I may not have recognized it for what it was.
Recently an associate introduced me to Moon gel. It seems to work at least
as well as the tape loop for ringey toms.

> A gate is really handy in chopping that 'ring'
> off and eliminating the annoyance. I have been
> thankful to have gates in a rack for just that reason,
> many times. Typically occurs with larger rack and
> also floor toms. Especially floors that are tuned really
> low and 'flabby'.
>
> --
> Steve McQ
>

 |  Next  |  Last