From: Tom St Denis on
On Mar 4, 9:45 am, biject <biject.b...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> binary bwts or unbwts you pick with extra key bits or fix the pattern
> of bwts unbwts
> followed by the 8bit cypher pass with new key bits.

The problem with that scheme is there are weak keys consider the key
byte 10101010 or 11110000 or 00001111 or 01010101, etc.... they're all
identity functions.

Generally, it's undesirable for a cipher element to change the size of
the message in an unpredictable fashion. That's usually left to the
codec stage.

Tom
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Tom St Denis wrote:

> The general idea of a recursive Feistel is well established in the
> Turtle paper. The fact you didn't see that doesn't surprise me.
>
> From Turtle you could make a 64-bit cipher with nothing but random 8x8
> PRFs, you'd have 4 rounds of a 32-bit function, 4 rounds of a 16, and
> 4 rounds of a 8 [for 64, 32, and 16-bit feistels respectfully] netting
> 4^3 = 64 8x8 functions or 16KB of tables.

That's why I said Turtle is more general but is more complicated in
implementation in my view. (Of course, I assume that one "already" has
e.g. a 64 bit cipher, so the "simplicity" doesn't come from nowhere.)

M. K. Shen
From: biject on
On Mar 4, 8:10 am, Tom St Denis <t...(a)iahu.ca> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 9:45 am, biject <biject.b...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > binary bwts or unbwts you pick with extra key bits or fix the pattern
> > of bwts unbwts
> > followed by the 8bit cypher pass with new key bits.
>
> The problem with that scheme is there are weak keys consider the key
> byte 10101010 or 11110000 or 00001111 or 01010101, etc.... they're all
> identity functions.
>
> Generally, it's undesirable for a cipher element to change the size of
> the message in an unpredictable fashion.  That's usually left to the
> codec stage.
>
> Tom

Tom in the basic thing I am not changing the size?

8 bit cipher key 1 8 bits size not changed

loop 7 times
binary bwts no change in size or binary unbwts
8 bit cipher using next 8 bit key no change in size
end loop

this doesn't change the file size the size in is the size out

however its not wise to allow this for short messages say
one byte in length. You should bijective at least force
either a minimum size or your could even force some other
block size bijectively before you start the encryption.

David A. Scott
--
My Crypto code
http://bijective.dogma.net/crypto/scott19u.zip
From: Tom St Denis on
On Mar 4, 10:34 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> Tom St Denis wrote:
> > The general idea of a recursive Feistel is well established in the
> > Turtle paper.  The fact you didn't see that doesn't surprise me.
>
> >  From Turtle you could make a 64-bit cipher with nothing but random 8x8
> > PRFs, you'd have 4 rounds of a 32-bit function, 4 rounds of a 16, and
> > 4 rounds of a 8 [for 64, 32, and 16-bit feistels respectfully] netting
> > 4^3 = 64 8x8 functions or 16KB of tables.
>
> That's why I said Turtle is more general but is more complicated in
> implementation in my view. (Of course, I assume that one "already" has
> e.g. a 64 bit cipher, so the "simplicity" doesn't come from nowhere.)

Yeah but making a cipher out of a 64-bit PRP is still in spirit just
the Turtle cipher. Granted in the case of Turtle the proof of
security comes from the difficulty of breaking Feistels with truly
random PRFs as round functions.

But for a modern example of exactly what you're talking about look at
DEAL.

Tom
From: Tom St Denis on
On Mar 4, 11:01 am, biject <biject.b...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 8:10 am, Tom St Denis <t...(a)iahu.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 4, 9:45 am, biject <biject.b...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > binary bwts or unbwts you pick with extra key bits or fix the pattern
> > > of bwts unbwts
> > > followed by the 8bit cypher pass with new key bits.
>
> > The problem with that scheme is there are weak keys consider the key
> > byte 10101010 or 11110000 or 00001111 or 01010101, etc.... they're all
> > identity functions.
>
> > Generally, it's undesirable for a cipher element to change the size of
> > the message in an unpredictable fashion.  That's usually left to the
> > codec stage.
>
> > Tom
>
>  Tom in the basic thing I am not changing the size?

To be honest I didn't read your entire reply once I saw the obvious
flaw in the use of key bits to perform arbitrary bwts/ubwts.

That's about as fair statement as you'll ever get from me so take it
for what its worth.

Tom