From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Maaartin wrote:
> Mok-Kong Shen wrote:

>> Should I behave like a few of others in this group in always attempting
>> to (undeservedly) present oneself as an 'expert'?
>
> No, pls don't. Just try more reading and thinking, this a what J.D.
> meant and what you was told already. There're many thousands of people
> worldwide interested in crypto. If only one per cent of them would
> behave like you, there were daily many thousands of question here and
> nothing else.

If "some" of the people in the group stop to react to posts that they
don't like for whatever reasons and generate thereby posts that do
personal insults instead of arguing on scientific grounds (errors
can be "succintly" pointed out, if one "has" the time and will to point
them out, otherwise do nothing!!), then there would be "less" waste of
bandwidth (waste of course can't be "principally" prevented, since
this group is not moderated and posting is entirely "free") and the
annoyance to the many thousands of people worldwide interested in
crypto and subscribing to sci.crypt would be highly "alleviated".

Anyway, if you (I mean anyone) jugde that a post is nonsense, then
the best you "can" do is the "same" that you would do with the spam
mails that come everyday into your email box!

M. K. Shen
From: Mok-Kong Shen on

In view of the susceptibility to slide attacks, as was pointed out in
the discussions by J.D., the code (here only pseudo-code, actual
C-code has to be suitably written) for the "horizontal" case has to be
modified as follows, employing a number of master keys MK0, MK1 ...
to generate in counter mode the keys to be employed in the different
rounds of the composite scheme (IVMK is an initialization value):

for (i=0; i<numberofrounds, i++)
{
Cn = IVMK + i;
k0i = E(MK0,Cn); k1i = E(MK1,Cn); K2i = E(MK2,Cn); K3i = E(MK3,Cn);
}

for (i=0; i<numberofrounds, i++)
{
B_0 ^= E(K1i,B_1); B1 ^= E(K0i,B0); B_2 ^= E(K3i,B_3); B3 ^= E(K2i,B2);
B_0 ^= E(K2i,B_2); B2 ^= E(K0i,B0); B_1 ^= E(K3i,B_3); B3 ^= E(K1i,B1);
}

Analogous is to be done for the "vertical" case.

If one applies also the "outer" dynamics, as detailed in the thread
"Introducing dynamics into block encryptions", one could, for the
processing of each new block (large block of the composite scheme) of
plaintext, generate a new set of keys for use for the different
rounds of the composite scheme, via e.g. updating IVMK in the above
with IVMK += numberofrounds;

In this opportunity, I like to take the liberty to once again sincerely
request discussions from experts of the group on the correctness and
practical feasibility of "inner" and "outer" dynamics in the thread
mentioned above.

Thanks in advance,

M. K. Shen

My favourite citation for scientific discussions:

Was sich ueberhaupt sagen laesst, laesst sich klar sagen;

und wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darueber muss man schweigen.

L. Wittgenstein
From: Richard Outerbridge on
In article <hmnvb7$s11$03$1(a)news.t-online.com>,
Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen(a)t-online.de> wrote:

> Given a block cipher E of block length n, could one advantageously use
> it to compose a larger block cipher in a rather simple manner? I like
> to solicit some good ideas on this from the group via presenting my own
> humble one.

This is (was?) the way DEAL worked. The problems with it were its speed
(or lack thereof) and its key scheduling - particularly the latter.

outer
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Richard Outerbridge:
> Mok-Kong Shen<mok-kong.shen wrote:
>
>> Given a block cipher E of block length n, could one advantageously use
>> it to compose a larger block cipher in a rather simple manner? I like
>> to solicit some good ideas on this from the group via presenting my own
>> humble one.
>
> This is (was?) the way DEAL worked. The problems with it were its speed
> (or lack thereof) and its key scheduling - particularly the latter.

I attempted to avoid the problem to devise a new key-schedule by simply
using different keys (obtained from a run with master keys in counter
mode) for the different component ciphers, see the final version posted
07.03.2010 15:44.

M. K. Shen
From: Tom St Denis on
On Mar 7, 8:22 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> If "some" of the people in the group stop to react to posts that they
> don't like for whatever reasons and generate thereby posts that do
> personal insults instead of arguing on scientific grounds (errors
> can be "succintly" pointed out, if one "has" the time and will to point
> them out, otherwise do nothing!!), then there would be "less" waste of
> bandwidth (waste of course can't be "principally" prevented, since
> this group is not moderated and posting is entirely "free") and the
> annoyance to the many thousands of people worldwide interested in
> crypto and subscribing to sci.crypt would be highly "alleviated".
>
> Anyway, if you (I mean anyone) jugde that a post is nonsense, then
> the best you "can" do is the "same" that you would do with the spam
> mails that come everyday into your email box!

The reason people get upset with you isn't because you ask questions,
it's because you ask questions in direct opposition to the advice and
knowledge people are voluntarily trying to impart on you.

When I pointed out Turtle for instance you clearly did not read the
paper, and then continued on your line of questioning. I can't make
you a good researcher, you'll have to do that yourself. But if you
keep asking questions despite me and others already answering them
people are just going to get pissed off at you.

You need to learn how to actually take in information people give you
instead of trying to get everything spelt out in the last detail. We
don't work for you, but we'll help you just the same if you show a
sincere effort in learning.

Tom