From: J.D. on
> As layman...

You know, there's a cure for your condition. And it doesn't involve
laying in bed, asking us to spoon-feed you for the rest of your
life...
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
[Sorry, my previous post was not complete.]

Maaartin wrote:
> Mok-Kong Shenwrote:

>> DES was first raised in this thread not by me but by Maaartin.
>
> You're wrong, it was you ("I have omitted the swapping operation that
> is present e.g. in DES, for that's irrelevant for security, if I
> don't err.").

Apology, I was wrong.

>> You
>> may be right in not (indirectly) 'propagating' DES, though on the other
>> hand I am not clear of how 'only slightly longer' could be
>> substantially argued.
>
> Quite obvious: DES has only 56 bit key, and you're going to us it in
> CTR more. So where is the problem, just try all the keys.

The point argued was whether to crack the "composite" ciphe, consiting
of u DES, needs "only slightly longer" than cracking one single DES.
As I said, that needs at least u times at much work. (In the now
revised version, one uses u DESs, that from u keys generate the keys
for the corresponding component DESs in the diverse rounds.)

M. K. Shen

From: J.D. on
> > Quite obvious: DES has only 56 bit key, and you're going to us it in
> > CTR more. So where is the problem, just try all the keys.
>
> The point argued was whether to crack the "composite" ciphe, consiting
> of u DES, needs "only slightly longer" than cracking one single DES.
> As I said, that needs at least u times at much work. (In the now
> revised version, one uses u DESs, that from u keys generate the keys
> for the corresponding component DESs in the diverse rounds.)
>
> M. K. Shen

That's exactly the version he was talking about. Does this really
need to be spelled out for you even more clearly?
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Am 06.03.2010 21:21, schrieb J.D.:
>> As layman...
>
> You know, there's a cure for your condition. And it doesn't involve
> laying in bed, asking us to spoon-feed you for the rest of your
> life...

Should I behave like a few of others in this group in always attempting
to (undeservedly) present oneself as an 'expert'?

If you have concrete 'objective' scientific arguments, then please
argue. But to do personal attacks unnecessarily wastes the bandwidth of
the group and is a very 'mean' conduct in my personal view.

M. K. Shen

[A second time:]

My favourite citation for scientific discussions:

Was sich ueberhaupt sagen laesst, laesst sich klar sagen;

und wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darueber muss man schweigen.

L. Wittgenstein
From: Mok-Kong Shen on
J.D. wrote:
>>> Quite obvious: DES has only 56 bit key, and you're going to us it in
>>> CTR more. So where is the problem, just try all the keys.
>>
>> The point argued was whether to crack the "composite" ciphe, consiting
>> of u DES, needs "only slightly longer" than cracking one single DES.
>> As I said, that needs at least u times at much work. (In the now
>> revised version, one uses u DESs, that from u keys generate the keys
>> for the corresponding component DESs in the diverse rounds.)

> That's exactly the version he was talking about. Does this really
> need to be spelled out for you even more clearly?

So where is the foundation of "your" 'only slightly longer'?? We were
talking about the entire composite cipher!

M. K. Shen