From: Will S. on
Please bear with me while I try to explain this. Yesterday when I started my
computer it went through the usual start up. First the OEM boot screen
folowed by a dark screen and no hard drive activity then the Windows XP boot
screen appears with the green scanning bar, then welcome, etc.

Today when the computer started the OEM boot screen appeared as usual but
after that, when there normally is no activity and a dark screen, the hard
drive was buzzing away and there was a white dashed, changing to solid white,
progress bar at the bottom of the screen before the Windows XP screen
appeared. Then it finished starting as normal and all seems to be working
correctly so far.

First, what happened that would cause this and second can it be corrected? I
tried Restore to yesterday with no change . Tried restarting . Still the
same. I do not remember anything different before shutdown yesterday.
From: Shenan Stanley on
Will S. wrote:
> Please bear with me while I try to explain this. Yesterday when I
> started my computer it went through the usual start up. First the
> OEM boot screen folowed by a dark screen and no hard drive activity
> then the Windows XP boot screen appears with the green scanning
> bar, then welcome, etc.
>
> Today when the computer started the OEM boot screen appeared as
> usual but after that, when there normally is no activity and a dark
> screen, the hard drive was buzzing away and there was a white
> dashed, changing to solid white, progress bar at the bottom of the
> screen before the Windows XP screen appeared. Then it finished
> starting as normal and all seems to be working correctly so far.
>
> First, what happened that would cause this and second can it be
> corrected? I tried Restore to yesterday with no change . Tried
> restarting . Still the same. I do not remember anything different
> before shutdown yesterday.

Did you shutdown or hibernate?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Unknown on
All indications from what you described is that you were hibernating .

From: Etaoin Shrdlu on
On 4/22/2010 9:31 AM, Will S. wrote:
> Please bear with me while I try to explain this. Yesterday when I started my
> computer it went through the usual start up. First the OEM boot screen
> folowed by a dark screen and no hard drive activity then the Windows XP boot
> screen appears with the green scanning bar, then welcome, etc.
>
> Today when the computer started the OEM boot screen appeared as usual but
> after that, when there normally is no activity and a dark screen, the hard
> drive was buzzing away and there was a white dashed, changing to solid white,
> progress bar at the bottom of the screen before the Windows XP screen
> appeared. Then it finished starting as normal and all seems to be working
> correctly so far.
>
> First, what happened that would cause this and second can it be corrected? I
> tried Restore to yesterday with no change . Tried restarting . Still the
> same. I do not remember anything different before shutdown yesterday.

As others have suggested, it sounds like you were coming out of
hibernation. Try shutting down completely and restarting. BTW, if you
have a green progress bar on the XP splash screen, it means you haven't
advanced beyond service pack 1 (the splash screen changed with SP2). Get
with the program, so to speak.
From: Shenan Stanley on

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> As others have suggested, it sounds like you were coming out of
> hibernation. Try shutting down completely and restarting. BTW, if
> you have a green progress bar on the XP splash screen, it means you
> haven't advanced beyond service pack 1 (the splash screen changed
> with SP2). Get with the program, so to speak.

Actually - I would suggest highly you report back here with the following
information:

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story. Post _both_ in response
to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing - instead - ensure
character-for-character copying. That's the edition (in the top picture)
and the exact version number in detail (the 'version' line.)

What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using? Easy to find
out. Open Internet Explorer and while that is in-focus, press and hold
the "ALT" key on your keyboard. With the "ALT" key still pressed, press
(just once, no holding) the "H" key. Now, with the "ALT" key still
pressed, press (just once, no holding) the "A" key. That will bring up
the "About Internet Explorer" window. It will give you the exact version
you are using - repeat what you see there in response to this message.

How to determine whether a computer is running a 32-bit version or
64-bit version of the Windows operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP