From: Psycho-billy on
James,

I've done as you suggest, but am unable to connect through a bridged
connection with full LAN connectivity avialable and a good wireless internet
connection.

I seem to be going backwards because I can now only ping from the XP machine
to the W2K machine and not vice verse.

Suspect my jockeying caused the problem, and will continue to troubleshoot.
(I was able to ping both ways at one point and am now waiting on a result
from resetting the duplex mode from auto at both ends to 10/100 on the W2K
and auto on the XP LAN card)

I keep running into the Routing and remote access service which is dependent
on NetBIOSGroup. I'm not sure it's possible to enable NetBIOSGroup and thus
Routing and Remote Access on a W2K workstation (as distinct from a server).

If you will instruct me on the static routing setup, I can hash this out
eventually.

Regards,
Larry
--
PB

From: James Egan on

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:48:01 -0800, Psycho-billy
<Psychobilly(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've done as you suggest, but am unable to connect through a bridged
>connection with full LAN connectivity avialable and a good wireless internet
>connection.
>
>I seem to be going backwards because I can now only ping from the XP machine
>to the W2K machine and not vice verse.

In all probability a firewall issue.

>Suspect my jockeying caused the problem, and will continue to troubleshoot.
>(I was able to ping both ways at one point and am now waiting on a result
>from resetting the duplex mode from auto at both ends to 10/100 on the W2K
>and auto on the XP LAN card)
>
>I keep running into the Routing and remote access service which is dependent
>on NetBIOSGroup. I'm not sure it's possible to enable NetBIOSGroup and thus
>Routing and Remote Access on a W2K workstation (as distinct from a server).

I'm not sure what you are trying to do here. From the point of view of
this networking exercise, the w2k machine is a client whose Internet
access depends on the winxp and no routing and remote access is
required from w2k. Perhaps you could clarify.

>If you will instruct me on the static routing setup, I can hash this out
>eventually.

From your first post the dsl gateway nat device is already at
192.168.0.1 and this needs to be on the same subnet as the winxp
wireless adaptor. The xp wired adaptor needs to be on a different
subnet along with with the w2k wired adaptor. So we will use the
existing 192.168.0.0/24 for the first subnet and use (say)
192.168.5.0/24 for this second subnet.

In addition, the xp machine needs to have a fixed ip address because
this will now be the gateway for the w2k to access the Internet. So
configure the computer tcp/ip properties as follows

xp wireless

static ip address 192.168.0.2 mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.0.1
dns server 192.168.0.1 or your isp's nameserver address

xp wired

static ip address 192.168.5.1 mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway leave blank

w2k

static ip address 192.168.5.2 mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.5.1
dns server 192.168.0.1 or your isp's nameserver address

dsl gateway

set a static route to send traffic for subnet 192.168.5.0 to go via
192.168.0.2

As stated previously you also need to enable routing between the wired
and wireless interfaces on the xp as follows

System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
Value Name: IPEnableRouter
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

Jim.

From: Psycho-billy on
James, et al,

It turned out that Winsock was corrupted. Now back to pinging between the
two PC's.

Unable to ping the wireless adapter on the XP machine from the W2K machine
on the local LAN.

Unable to bridge LAN and WLAN on XP machine. Causes loss of internet
connection. Sharing doesn't work because of the DSL gateway (which is a NAT
capable machine - no info on config.)

Wondering whether this can be done more easily through Remote Access? Goal
is to use the XP machine to connect to and download service packs and IE 6
for the W2K machine).

You had mentioned something about static IP addresses?

Regards,
Larry Marquardt

--
PB

From: James Egan on

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:45:01 -0800, Psycho-billy
<Psychobilly(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>You had mentioned something about static IP addresses?

The solution is as described in my last post. It's important you
configure all the machines like I said.

After that, check basic connectivity with pings first. If you still
can't ping the xp wireless adaptor from the w2k box (with routing
enabled on xp) then this is the first problem to solve.

Post some details of the configuration of the xp box?

To do this get to a command prompt and type

ipconfig /all > c:\temp1.txt
route print > c:\temp2.txt

Then cut'n'paste the contents of temp1.txt and temp2.txt with notepad.

Jim.

From: Psycho-billy on
James,

You are absolutely correct: This is a firewall issue. How dangerous is this???

netsh firewall>show opmode

Domain profile configuration:
Operational mode = Enable
Exception mode = Enable

Standard profile configuration (current):
Operational mode = Enable
Exception mode = Enable

Local Area Connection firewall configuration:
Operational mode = Enable

Wireless Network Connection firewall configuration:
Operational mode = Enable

netsh firewall>set file mode=close

I've limited all ports on the bridge, but as I understand this, the Domain
is just my directory tree, and when I enable the Standard profile, however
it's tweaked, I loose connectivity.

I'm willing to drop this and move to the "Firewall" forum wherever that may
be.

Thanks!
Larry Marquardt

--