From: James Egan on

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 20:09:01 -0800, Psycho-billy
<Psychobilly(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>netsh firewall>set file mode=close
>
>I've limited all ports on the bridge, but as I understand this, the Domain
>is just my directory tree, and when I enable the Standard profile, however
>it's tweaked, I loose connectivity.
>
>I'm willing to drop this and move to the "Firewall" forum wherever that may
>be.

I don't know what you are trying to achieve or why you are trying to
firewall the bridged or routed connection. The w2k machine can do its
own firewalling so let the bridge do its job without interference.

Jim.

From: Psycho-billy on
James,

When I wrote my last reply, I thought I was bridged and able to connect to
the internet. I was wrong.

Here's what happens:

When I set up the bridge, I always loose internet connectivity. That is
regardless of any firewall settings I've tried.

When I have the bridge set up and use the IE connections setup Wizard, using
the "this computer connects through a residential gateway, or another
device," the bridge is automatically removed, and I must reboot both machines
to re-establish my LAN connectins and internet connectivity. Here is my
present configuration:

On the XP Machine:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : laptop01

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN
Mini-PCI Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-24-C6-C9

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : November 24, 2008 02:27

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : November 25, 2008 02:27

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-10-01-B7-11

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated
Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-DB-A3-0B-C6

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.248.183

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

XP Firewall at present (with McAffee enabled):

netsh firewall>show opmode

Domain profile configuration:
Operational mode = Disable
Exception mode = Enable

Standard profile configuration (current):
Operational mode = Disable
Exception mode = Enable

Local Area Connection firewall configuration:
Operational mode = Disable

Wireless Network Connection firewall configuration:
Operational mode = Disable

Bluetooth Network firewall configuration:
Operational mode = Disable

netsh firewall>set file mode=close

On the W2K machine:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NewTower
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter LAN NT01:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Compact USB
Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-60-E7-C2-CE

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.80.197

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Firewall is default on the W2K machine.

I do appreciate your attention to this!

Regards,
Larry Marquardt

--
PB

From: James Egan on

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:22:02 -0800, Psycho-billy
<Psychobilly(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I have the bridge set up and use the IE connections setup Wizard, using
>the "this computer connects through a residential gateway, or another
>device," the bridge is automatically removed, and I must reboot both machines
>to re-establish my LAN connectins and internet connectivity. Here is my
>present configuration:

I don't know why the bridge gets zapped when you connect through a
residential gateway. If you can't get it to work I can only suggest
that you try routing instead but that depends on you having
configuration access to your gateway device at 192.168.0.1

All the ipconfig information you posted is as expected with your
wireless card getting its ip address 192.168.0.87 by dhcp from the
gateway device. The xp wired adaptor and the w2k wired adaptor both
have automatic (apipa) addesses because they are not in contact with
the dhcp server on your gateway device.

If you can configure the gateway device to add a static route, you can
resolve the issue by following the routing instructions in my earlier
post.

How many other computers are on your network? The current node address
of 87 for the xp wireless gives me the impression that there are
already lots of other computers on the network which you have to avoid
conflicts with though it might just be a case of your gateway device
using an unusual dhcp pool.

If there are other computers on the network you might have to alter
the static ip address (192.168.0.2) that I sugggested using for the xp
wireless to avoid conflicts.

Look at the configuration settings of your gateway device to see what
the range of ip addresses it is set to use in its dhcp pool. With that
information and details of the other computers on your network I can
give you some adjusted instructions if necessary.

Jim.

From: Psycho-billy on
James,

I don't have config access to the gateway, and yes, there are several other
computers attached to the LAN, but they aren't mine either.

I double-checked the network map as well as possible. No other machine has
the 192.168.0.87 address, but some, including the old name for my W2K
machine, show hostnames instead of IP addresses, so I can't be too sure.

I'll contact the LAN manager and see if that can't be cleaned up a bit, and
then try some add'l IP addresses.

At bottom, though, I've been around the world on this thing and it comes
down to the fact that the bridge causes loss of internet connection. If I
setup through IE before I make the bridge - no connection; if I try IE setup
after the bridge, it gets torn down. And when I try to share the connection,
it conflicts with the 192.168.0.1 address on the gateway, which I can't
control.

I don't know of a router that will work with this hardware configuration,
and have thought of using a DSL modem - gateway config. More fun!

Regards,
Larry Marquardt
--
PB

From: Psycho-billy on
James,

This is what I've tried:

Attempted to clone the MAC address of the Wireless Card onto the MAC Bridge
Miniport and vice verse.

Not 100% certain of my procedure, but didn't wreck anything. Still cannot
internet when bridged.

I think the problem is in my device instance id compatabilities. Do you know
whether the device instance id's can be changed to THE compatible one
PCI\VEN+14E4)?

Is that necessary? If I do that, will I be able to admin the MAC?(I will be
researching this too, btw.)

The problem seems to be that the LAN card doesn't allow locally administered
MAC. The WLAN does, but the config doesn't seem to work.

00904B24C6C9 old wireless MAC

020BDBA30BC6 MAC bridge miniport??

000BDBA30BC6 old ethernet MAC

This is my WLAN Device Instance Id:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_00011028&REV_02\4&39A85202&0&18F0

These are compatible Id's:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_16A6REV_02
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_16A6
PCI\VEN_14E4&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_14E4&CC_0200
PCI\VEN_14E4
PCI\CC_020000
PCI\CC_0200

This is my LAN Device Instance Id:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_16A6&SUBSYS_81261028&REV_02\4&39A85202&0&00F0

These are compatible Id's:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&REV_02
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320
PCI\VEN_14E4&CC_02800