From: n o s p a m p l e a s e on
On Jan 24, 8:17 pm, "William R. Walsh"
<newsgrou...(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I now understand what you mean. I am ready to buy a new computer if it
> > helps.
>
> Buying a new computer would be a pretty drastic step. It would only help
> solve the problem if the new computer came with a screen whose aspect ratio
> and operating resolution matched that of the TV. Or if the new computer were
> connected only to the TV, with no other display. (In other words, a
> "desktop" computer is what I'm talking about.)

Hi William,

I am following your input with interest. What if I buy Inspiron Zino
for this purpose?

I have opportunity to choose of the following processors:

AMD A64 2850E 1,8 GHz, 512 KB
AMD X2 3250E 1,5 GHz, 512 KB

What do you recommend?

as for the graphc card,

Integrerat HD 3200-grafic card
512 MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4330-grafic card

For RAM, I have the following choice:

2 048MB 800 MHz DDR2 [2 x 1 024]
4 096 MB 800 MHz DDR2 [2 x 2 048]

It has HDMI connection.

What would you recommend?

Thanx/NSP
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> AMD A64 2850E 1,8 GHz, 512 KB
> AMD X2 3250E 1,5 GHz, 512 KB
>
> What do you recommend?

I would choose the 1.8GHz AMD CPU, just because you are going to be
decoding video, and that can be quite a load on the system.

> Integrerat HD 3200-grafic card
> 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4330-grafic card

Either one ought to be fine, but I'd pick the higher end option as
opposed to the integrated video. A more powerful GPU can be nice when
you are playing very high resolution video, and a more modern GPU may
also be able to lend some of its processing power to the actual
decompression of the video before it is played.

> 2 048MB 800 MHz DDR2 [2 x 1 024]

If you are going for a 32-bit operating system, choose the 2GB option.
There are 3GB options, but choosing those will cause the memory
controller to run in single channel mode, and that costs you a little
performance.

With 4GB, you will be throwing away approximately 1GB of RAM on a 32-
bit operating system.

If you plan to go 64-bit, just go ahead and get the 4GB RAM option.

Either platform will do very well for video playback, so the deciding
factor should be how much you have to spend on this.

> It has HDMI connection.

That will be good if your TV has an HDMI connection as well. HDMI
connections can (but do not necessarily have to) support the transfer
of audio.

I don't know much about the Inspiron Zino model, as I have yet to see
one in person. (For most people buying laptops, I recommend the
Latitude, but I'm not sure it will have the HDMI output.) Therefore,
you would do well to find some people that have the same system and
see what they think of it.

William
From: me on
"William R. Walsh" <wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I don't know much about the Inspiron Zino model

I think a "Dell Deal" Optiplex 380 might be a better
choice for HTPC "base"

That's what I'm going with.

Of course I will have to add a video card with HDMI,
etc
From: n o s p a m p l e a s e on
On Jan 25, 11:19 pm, m...(a)privacy.net wrote:
> "William R. Walsh" <wm_wa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I don't know much about the Inspiron Zino model
>
> I think a "Dell Deal" Optiplex 380 might be a better
> choice for HTPC "base"
>
> That's what I'm going with.
>
> Of course I will have to add a video card with HDMI,
> etc

Well I currently in Europe and the option to add video card with HDMI
doesn't exist while ordering online.

From: me on
n o s p a m p l e a s e <nospam.please(a)live.com> wrote:

>Well I currently in Europe and the option to add video card with HDMI
>doesn't exist while ordering online.

No... I would buy a 3rd party card from someone else
other than Dell
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Inspiron 6000