From: Grimly Curmudgeon on
drugs began to take hold. I remember "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> saying something like:

>> Good grief, he seems to be implying that composite video output is good.
>
>Only that it reduces file size, I believe, and hence bandwidth on analogue
>(or digital) TV. Without component encoding there would likely have been
>no colour TV as we've known it for the last 40+ years.

Agreed for component, but he specifically mentions composite at the end
- horrible way of doing it.
From: SMS on
On 26/06/10 1:36 PM, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley wrote:
> On Jun 26, 10:34 am, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley<cowartmi...(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> Any suggestions for a program to convert from TIFF-YC to TIFF-RGB?
>
> Well, I feel dumb. I was so intent on my problem with the *conversion*
> program, that I hadn't tried opening the file with my photo *editing*
> program. That program had no problem opening the TIFF-YC file!
>
> Thanks guys!

Yes, I doubt if there are any decent photo editors that can't handle
TIFF-YC. Photoshop certainly handles it, though I think a plug-in is
required. There were some Nikon/Fujifilm D-SLRs that supported TIFF YC
as an alternative to RAW.
From: David J Taylor on
"Grimly Curmudgeon" <grimly4REMOVE(a)REMOVEgmail.com> wrote in message
> We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
> drugs began to take hold. I remember "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> saying something like:
>
>>> Good grief, he seems to be implying that composite video output is
>>> good.
>>
>>Only that it reduces file size, I believe, and hence bandwidth on
>>analogue
>>(or digital) TV. Without component encoding there would likely have
>>been
>>no colour TV as we've known it for the last 40+ years.
>
> Agreed for component, but he specifically mentions composite at the end
> - horrible way of doing it.

He says: "In broadcast television and composite video one passes the Cr
and Cb channels through bandwidth limiting filters and then on to modulate
the I and Q quadrature channels of a dual-sideband suppressed subcarrier."
which is a statement of how colour television works. I don't read any
endorsement there.

Cheers,
David