From: Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley on
I have an older digital camera, a Fujifilm MX-2900. When it is set to
the highest quality setting, it produces files in in the unusual TIFF-
YC format. The camera comes with a program (Picture Shuttle) to
convert these files to the generally accepted TIFF-RGB format.
However, that program does not work in Windows XP, and the company
website doesn't seem to have a more current version.

Any suggestions for a program to convert from TIFF-YC to TIFF-RGB?

TIFF-YC is a lossless compressed format that dates back to the days of
much smaller memory cards - it produces files about 2/3 the size of
TIFF-RGB files, but containing the same information.
From: Better Info on
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:34:39 -0700 (PDT), Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley
<cowartmisc1(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have an older digital camera, a Fujifilm MX-2900. When it is set to
>the highest quality setting, it produces files in in the unusual TIFF-
>YC format. The camera comes with a program (Picture Shuttle) to
>convert these files to the generally accepted TIFF-RGB format.
>However, that program does not work in Windows XP, and the company
>website doesn't seem to have a more current version.
>
>Any suggestions for a program to convert from TIFF-YC to TIFF-RGB?
>
>TIFF-YC is a lossless compressed format that dates back to the days of
>much smaller memory cards - it produces files about 2/3 the size of
>TIFF-RGB files, but containing the same information.

My first thought is that freeware IrfanView should be able to do this with
its batch conversion modes. But not having a TIFF-YC file to test it with I
can't tell you for certain. You might download the free 30-day demo of
PhotoLine <www.pl32.net> and test that. It has some of the best
compatibility between different color-space conversion accuracy (i.e. CMYK
<=> RGB <=> Lab, etc.) and handles most any filetype. The only problem I've
found with its color-space handling is when using some dithering methods
for reduced color-pallet counts (e.g. 256 color GIFs). But with its vast
amounts of dithering options this is more often user error than software
error. It'll even import unknown scientific RAW formats that no other
program can read if you know the image's original dimensions,
color-channels (RGB, BGR, CMYK, KYMC, etc.), bit-depth, and Endian options
to input into the import dialog. PhotoLine too, like IrfanView, having
batch conversion capability. It's a free fully functional demo download,
small, and easy to test it for your needs.

If PhotoLine works report back. I'd like to know if it handles that TIFF
format. PhotoLine has been able to read and convert most anything I've ever
thrown at it. (Outside of some corporate proprietary filetypes, like early
adobe formats.) It would be interesting to know of an industry-standard
format that PhotoLine can't handle.

From: ray on
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:34:39 -0700, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley wrote:

> I have an older digital camera, a Fujifilm MX-2900. When it is set to
> the highest quality setting, it produces files in in the unusual TIFF-
> YC format. The camera comes with a program (Picture Shuttle) to convert
> these files to the generally accepted TIFF-RGB format. However, that
> program does not work in Windows XP, and the company website doesn't
> seem to have a more current version.
>
> Any suggestions for a program to convert from TIFF-YC to TIFF-RGB?
>
> TIFF-YC is a lossless compressed format that dates back to the days of
> much smaller memory cards - it produces files about 2/3 the size of
> TIFF-RGB files, but containing the same information.

I don't see anything on"tiff-yc" - do you suppose you could provide a
sample? I'd like to look into that.
From: Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley on
On Jun 26, 1:02 pm, ray <r...(a)zianet.com> wrote:
> I don't see anything on"tiff-yc" - do you suppose you could provide a
> sample? I'd like to look into that.

OK - I emailed you a sample with the title "TIFF-YC sample file"

From: Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley on
On Jun 26, 10:34 am, Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley <cowartmi...(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:
> Any suggestions for a program to convert from TIFF-YC to TIFF-RGB?

Well, I feel dumb. I was so intent on my problem with the *conversion*
program, that I hadn't tried opening the file with my photo *editing*
program. That program had no problem opening the TIFF-YC file!

Thanks guys!