From: Mladen Gogala on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 20:51:44 +0000, Terry Dykstra wrote:

> You can use InfoMaker (Sybase). It has a so called pipeline utility
> which allws you to move data between ant 2 databases. Very easy to use.
>
> Terry Dykstra

My favorite utility for complex cases is still Perl although I am reading
a Python book and I like what I read. If only there was a comprehensive
Python archive network, with tons of modules and applications available,
Python would immediately take over the world by storm. PyPI is not nearly
as good - yet.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: if_investor on
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Some people asked me for more details about
the
issue.

There is an MSSQL 9.00 database about 100GB in size that we need to
get a copy of; To be more accurate, we need to get hold of its major
schema, and create an Oracle database (Hoping that it will be 10g)
with
the same schem, having the same data. (The entire database consists of
only
that schema and whatever the default MSSQL schemas are).

I am not sure if the source DB has unique MSSQL features; I don't know
MSSQL, and I am not sure sure what to check.

Thanks,
QZ

From: Steve Howard on
On Jun 13, 5:14 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> My favorite utility for complex cases is still Perl although I am reading
> a Python book and I like what I read. If only there was a comprehensive
> Python archive network, with tons of modules and applications available,
> Python would immediately take over the world by storm. PyPI is not nearly
> as good - yet.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

I *love* python. 98% of all tools/scripts I write use python, which
has been the case for only about 18 months or so.

I have not had a problem finding anything I need in terms of a class
library, although there is nothing equivalent to cpan.
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 04:26:45 -0700, Steve Howard wrote:

> I *love* python. 98% of all tools/scripts I write use python, which has
> been the case for only about 18 months or so.

I fell in love in python when I realized that I can use files as
iterators like this:

myfile=open(pathname,"r")
for line in myfile:
line=line.rstrip('\n') # This is "chomp". Slightly longer than the
# Perl version, but not too bad.
do some processing

This is beautiful. No unclear "diamond notation", no "while" loops, just
a simple and very logical iteration through the file lines. I am somewhat
biased because I have been working with Perl since 1996 and was also
using Perl 4, with oraperl, of course. I feel completely comfortable and
at home with Perl and it will be a long time before I have the same
feeling with Python. Unfortunately, Perl is huge, there are many elements
to learn, Perl is somewhat illogical (count of the elements in an array
@arr is obtained through the conversion to scalar context (scalar(@arr))
and has some strange idioms, like $a ||= 0; which really means
if (!defined($a)) { $a=0; }. CPAN is also the Perl's biggest problem
because any new version will not be fully adopted until the modules
people are using are ported to the next version. With the Perl's
atrocious object model, all the modules will inevitably be broken in
Perl6. I am afraid that Perl 6 will be syntactically even larger than
Perl 5, which means that it will require a significant learning curve,
just like the transition from Perl4 --> Perl5. I must say that at this
point, I consider learning Python a better alternative to remaining with
the huge and slowly developing Perl which has a very strange object model
indeed.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: joel garry on
On Jun 13, 9:20 pm, "if_inves...(a)yahoo.com"
<basis_consult...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the replies. Some people asked me for more details about
> the
> issue.
>
> There is an MSSQL 9.00 database about 100GB in size that we need to
> get a copy of; To be more accurate, we need to get hold of its major
> schema, and create an Oracle database (Hoping that it will be 10g)
> with
> the same schem, having the same data. (The entire database consists of
> only
>  that schema and whatever the default MSSQL schemas are).
>
> I am not sure if the source DB has unique MSSQL features; I don't know
> MSSQL, and I am not sure sure what to check.

Ah, be careful about tripping over terminology. What Oracle calls a
schema, MS calls a database. You'll need to be conscious of this with
some tools.

Also see http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/index.html
(which is a slightly longer version of what Mladen said in two
words). Steve has a good point about using existing expertise.
Sometimes that should control the tools decision, sometimes new tools
should be investigated. As always, it depends. I'm always fighting
with having to let users use Excel as a data loading tool.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07brain.html?hp