From: Bob Jones on
It is easy to create a db link on SQL Server. No need to write a single line
of code. Just click, click, click, done!

"if_investor(a)yahoo.com" <basis_consultant(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Some people asked me for more details about
the
issue.

There is an MSSQL 9.00 database about 100GB in size that we need to
get a copy of; To be more accurate, we need to get hold of its major
schema, and create an Oracle database (Hoping that it will be 10g)
with
the same schem, having the same data. (The entire database consists of
only
that schema and whatever the default MSSQL schemas are).

I am not sure if the source DB has unique MSSQL features; I don't know
MSSQL, and I am not sure sure what to check.

Thanks,
QZ

From: Frank van Bortel on
On 06/14/2010 07:03 PM, joel garry wrote:
> On Jun 13, 9:20 pm, "if_inves...(a)yahoo.com"
> <basis_consult...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for the replies. Some people asked me for more details about
>> the
>> issue.
>>
>> There is an MSSQL 9.00 database about 100GB in size that we need to
>> get a copy of; To be more accurate, we need to get hold of its major
>> schema, and create an Oracle database (Hoping that it will be 10g)
>> with
>> the same schem, having the same data. (The entire database consists of
>> only
>> that schema and whatever the default MSSQL schemas are).
>>
>> I am not sure if the source DB has unique MSSQL features; I don't know
>> MSSQL, and I am not sure sure what to check.
>
> Ah, be careful about tripping over terminology. What Oracle calls a
> schema, MS calls a database. You'll need to be conscious of this with
> some tools.
>
> Also see http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/migration/index.html
> (which is a slightly longer version of what Mladen said in two
> words). Steve has a good point about using existing expertise.
> Sometimes that should control the tools decision, sometimes new tools
> should be investigated. As always, it depends. I'm always fighting
> with having to let users use Excel as a data loading tool.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/07/technology/07brain.html?hp

Ah, but the Migration Workbench allows to
migrate TSQL to PL/SQL, too.
Not just data (for which it will generate
fairly efficient bulk unload and SQL*Loader
scripts).

Don't know if/how SQL Developer handles code
and/or data. Don't know the requirements, either.

Be very very careful when this is to be some kind
of comparison. Oracle != MS Sql Server!
--

Regards,

Frank van Bortel
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:42:42 +0200, Frank van Bortel wrote:

> Ah, but the Migration Workbench allows to migrate TSQL to PL/SQL, too.
> Not just data (for which it will generate fairly efficient bulk unload
> and SQL*Loader scripts).
>
> Don't know if/how SQL Developer handles code and/or data. Don't know the
> requirements, either.
>
> Be very very careful when this is to be some kind of comparison. Oracle
> != MS Sql Server!

I must say that I never migrate the procedural code from anything to
Oracle. If something is needed, I will usually rewrite it. Databases
other than Oracle are not so verbose and the system design is not quite
at that level so there is normally very little of the procedural code in
the database. Tools like workbench are best suited for migrating the
structures, tables, indexes and views. For the data transfer, I will
usually write tailor-made Perl script which will normally complete sooner
than SQL*Developer, because SQL*Developer will unload the data into the
intermediate files and use SQL*Loader to load the data. I can normally
write code that will do select from the 3rd party DB and insert into
Oracle RDBMS simultaneously. If you are migrating EMP and DEPT tables,
the speed doesn't really matter, but if number of rows is in the
millions, Perl will be faster.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: Connor McDonald on
if_investor(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure whether this is the correct group; Perhaps I should
> choose
> an MSSQL one.
>
> Does anybody know of a way to copy a database of about 100GB in size,
> on a Win2003 AMD 64-bit platform, from MSSQL 9.0 to Oracle (Any
> version,
> but hopefully 10g).
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> QZ

check out GoldenGate. Its desgined for precisely this purpose
--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald(a)yahoo.com

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat."

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: ORA- in alert
Next: ORA-00604/ORA-16000 on standby