From: if_investor on
Hi,

I am not sure whether this is the correct group; Perhaps I should
choose
an MSSQL one.

Does anybody know of a way to copy a database of about 100GB in size,
on a Win2003 AMD 64-bit platform, from MSSQL 9.0 to Oracle (Any
version,
but hopefully 10g).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
QZ
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 08:30:42 -0700, if_investor(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure whether this is the correct group; Perhaps I should choose
> an MSSQL one.
>
> Does anybody know of a way to copy a database of about 100GB in size, on
> a Win2003 AMD 64-bit platform, from MSSQL 9.0 to Oracle (Any version,
> but hopefully 10g).
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
> QZ

Two words: SQL Developer.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: joel garry on
On Jun 13, 8:30 am, "if_inves...(a)yahoo.com"
<basis_consult...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure whether this is the correct group; Perhaps I should
> choose
> an MSSQL one.
>
> Does anybody know of a way to copy a database of about 100GB in size,
> on a Win2003 AMD 64-bit platform, from MSSQL 9.0 to Oracle (Any
> version,
> but hopefully 10g).
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> QZ

There are a number of answers to this, depending on what you want to
wind up with, and what you mean exactly by copy.

Are you replacing applications?
Are you going to be updating databases in both engines?
Are there really spiffy MS specific things?

My general thought would be to put things to a flat file and then use
sql*loader, since 100G is likely to take a few hours. But that's only
for a one time conversion. There's also odbc links, and Oracle has
Heterogenous Services http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B13789_01/server.101/b10764/toc.htm
..

Also see http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=317123
There are converters out there too, but I don't know how good they
are.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jun/13/oceanography-library-enters-digital-era/
From: Steve Howard on
On Jun 13, 11:30 am, "if_inves...(a)yahoo.com"
<basis_consult...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure whether this is the correct group; Perhaps I should
> choose
> an MSSQL one.
>
> Does anybody know of a way to copy a database of about 100GB in size,
> on a Win2003 AMD 64-bit platform, from MSSQL 9.0 to Oracle (Any
> version,
> but hopefully 10g).
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> QZ

In addition to what Mladen and Joel wrote...

We did for DB2 to Oracle about a year or so, ago. We ended up writing
our own JDBC migration utility, and it really wasn't too difficult. I
think it took four hours to write *and* test. We had logging,
exception handling, verification, etc.

Of course, that is a two edged sword. As with anything you write
yourself, you end up with an almost infinite amount of control, but
for a minimum of work, have to have:

* a fairly small number of changes, i.e. same number of columns with
mapping datatypes
* some degree of java expertise.

After we used it for DB2, we then took it to the next level and
extended it to allow us to migrate Oracle to MySQL, etc.

As already noted, there are off the shelf migration tools out there,
as well as part of the database itself. It depends, as always, on
your needs and areas of expertise.

HTH,

Steve
From: Terry Dykstra on
On 10-06-13 09:30 AM, if_investor(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure whether this is the correct group; Perhaps I should
> choose
> an MSSQL one.
>
> Does anybody know of a way to copy a database of about 100GB in size,
> on a Win2003 AMD 64-bit platform, from MSSQL 9.0 to Oracle (Any
> version,
> but hopefully 10g).
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
> QZ
You can use InfoMaker (Sybase). It has a so called pipeline utility
which allws you to move data between ant 2 databases. Very easy to use.

Terry Dykstra
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: ORA- in alert