From: Nobody on
"Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote in message
> Okay, I'll look up "HTTP Upload". Don't know what the difference is
> but will likely find out when I look it up.

If you uploaded images to eBay or some image hosting site that has a
"Browse" button, then you have used HTTP Upload. See this page and click on
Browse:

http://xs.to

From: Webbiz on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:27:52 -0500, "Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com>
wrote:

>"Webbiz" <nospam(a)noway.com> wrote in message
>> Okay, I'll look up "HTTP Upload". Don't know what the difference is
>> but will likely find out when I look it up.
>
>If you uploaded images to eBay or some image hosting site that has a
>"Browse" button, then you have used HTTP Upload. See this page and click on
>Browse:
>
>http://xs.to

Been doing a lot of searching and haven't yet discovered a solution.
This HTTP upload thing has now added to the pile up.

I came across a Chilkat component for upload and the component didn't
install right. I tried a HTTP Upload example and nothing is uploaded.

And then there is the question as to why these HTTP upload examples
that I've come across never say anything about Username/Password for
access to the site. I'm thinking, "people cannot just upload stuff to
your site without some kind of permission...". So this is a bit
confusing too.

Then it dawned on me, "hey, I have a whole library of VB6 books. One
of them at least must touch on this subject."

Well, I have a book called "Professional VB6 Web Programming". A
shiney brand new book that's been sitting there for a very long time.
Guess now is a good time to crack the thing open.

Thanks amigo.

Webbiz
From: Nobody on
> Been doing a lot of searching and haven't yet discovered a solution.
> This HTTP upload thing has now added to the pile up.
>
> I came across a Chilkat component for upload and the component didn't
> install right. I tried a HTTP Upload example and nothing is uploaded.
>
> And then there is the question as to why these HTTP upload examples
> that I've come across never say anything about Username/Password for
> access to the site. I'm thinking, "people cannot just upload stuff to
> your site without some kind of permission...". So this is a bit
> confusing too.

Permissions and access are so easy with PHP/ASP:

<?php
if ($_POST["Password"]=="secret") {
echo 'Okay';
// Do file upload here
} else {
echo 'Not okay';
}
?>

This could be based on a database. That's how online forums work, except
that they use MD5 to store passwords, and compare the MD5 on the database
with the entered password. If they are the same, then the password is the
same.

> Then it dawned on me, "hey, I have a whole library of VB6 books. One
> of them at least must touch on this subject."
>
> Well, I have a book called "Professional VB6 Web Programming". A
> shiney brand new book that's been sitting there for a very long time.
> Guess now is a good time to crack the thing open.

It probably covers using VB with IIS and ASP, not PHP.

From: Nobody on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> and compare the MD5 on the database with the entered password.

Meant to say "and compare the MD5 on the database with the MD5 of the
entered password."

From: Patrice on
IMO you should stick to one method and debug this one. Have you tried to
check the return value for each and every call in your first code ? This is
where I would start...

If not choosen yet :
- With FTP, you'll have to configure your Linux server to be a ftp server
(seems to work as you create a directory (unless you created it earlier ;-))
- With Http, you'll need your linux server to be a web server and have a
page that gets the uploaded content to save it on the server
- Another option could be to expose your Linux filesystem as a network drive
(using perhaps something http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software)).
Likely gives more admin work but then you'll just another drive.

--
Patrice