From: Karl E. Peterson on
Webbiz wrote:
>>> 1. Why then does Microsoft MSDN use this as an example if not correct?
>>
>> Wow, does this *look* like a mountaintop I'm sitting on?
>>
>> Hell, how would I know? They're probably the single *worst* example of
>> how to code in ClassicVB that there is. You asked what a "Type
>> Mismatch" error meant, and I told you.
>>
>>> 2. Why are they not the same object type? The Inet control is simply
>>> named axFTP. The objFTP variable is declared as type Inet.
>>
>> No idea. Never used that control.
>>
>>> 3. Are you suggesting that the method ".Object" within the Inet
>>> control does not return an object of type Inet?
>>
>> I just told you what the error means. Hopefully, someone who's used
>> that control would be more familiar with its object model. But yeah,
>> that's the gist of it, assuming that's the only issue in play.
>
> Sheesh Karl, what gives? First you start off being condensending with
> that F8-9 comment, then you slap me silly and call me Lucy. And to
> make it worse, you never used the control???
>
> I know what the error is. Just like I know what F8 and F9 does. That
> isn't what I asked. I know my English isn't the greatest, but
> seriously? I was not the one who papered your house or egged your car,
> so take it easy big guy, I bruise easily.
>
> I'm asking WHY would I get an error that it is the wrong object type
> being assigned a variable that is clearly declared as that object
> type?

When you've ruled out everything else that doesn't make sense, you're
left with the obvious, eh?

I'm sorry you took it wrongly. I honestly haven't used that control,
so I can't offer specific advice.

Have you tried comparing the TypeName's of the two objects? Or do you
just think VB is out to get you? ;-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Bob Butler wrote:
>> I'd be looking at the return value of each API call. Immediately. Right
>> as/after they were made.
>
> possibly along with Err.LastDllError

Absolutely.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Webbiz wrote:
> This from a Microsoft MSDN page.
>
> Any idea why "Set objFTP = Me!axFTP.Object" causes this error?

Btw, providing a link always encourages those curious to try recreating
the error, without having to recreate whatever twisted google query you
did to find the problem. HTH! ;-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Webbiz on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:57:59 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

<more snipper-roo>

>I'm sorry you took it wrongly. <snip>

Karl, you and I certainly have a communications gap. I should add more
smileys and <g>'s to my comments.

>> Sheesh Karl, what gives? First you start off being condensending with
>> that F8-9 comment, then you slap me silly and call me Lucy. And to
>> make it worse, you never used the control???

"...then you slap me silly and call me Lucy."

I thought that line would have given it away that it's a
tongue-n-cheek reply to some of your...eh...er... down level
statements. <g> :-) LOL! ROTGLMAO! ;-b (that should cover it).

>Have you tried comparing the TypeName's of the two objects? Or do you
>just think VB is out to get you? ;-)

I definitely think that VB is out to get me.

Now that I am not sure how to do. How is that done? Seriously.

If I declare a variable of type FUNGUS, and then try set the variable
to a new object of FUNGUS.OBJECT, I'm a bit puzzled why this would not
be the same type. Darn those MSDN people!

:-)
Webbiz

From: Webbiz on
On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:00:13 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Webbiz wrote:
>> This from a Microsoft MSDN page.
>>
>> Any idea why "Set objFTP = Me!axFTP.Object" causes this error?
>
>Btw, providing a link always encourages those curious to try recreating
>the error, without having to recreate whatever twisted google query you
>did to find the problem. HTH! ;-)

Yes, but that would be a logical thing to do and could ruin my
reputation for being a clutz. <g>

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/163653

Webbiz