From: Webbiz on
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:25:00 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>> Now that it's clear that the MSDN article has mislead me down the
>> wrong path, what is the correct assignment?
>
>Wow, I posted that yesterday.

>> I'm probably going to go the API route anyway. The problem still
>> exists. It takes so much time to read a fat book like VB Web
>> Programming and much of the stuff seems a bit outdated (talk of IE5
>> being the lastest browser, etc. was kind of a giveaway there).
>>
>> :-)
>
>Screw the book. Just roll up your sleeves, and become one with the F8
>key.

This might be a reply that would shock you, but how in the world is
the F8 key going to teach me new technologies I'm not familiar with?

Now, if the F8 key would print out code for me after I've yelled the
question into the screen, that would be something else altogether. <g>

>Sounds like you didn't see this?

You're right, I didn't see that.

Thanks. <g>

Webbiz

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Webbiz wrote:
>> Screw the book. Just roll up your sleeves, and become one with the F8
>> key.
>
> This might be a reply that would shock you, but how in the world is
> the F8 key going to teach me new technologies I'm not familiar with?

It allows you to "watch the play in slow motion," just as you might
during a sporting event. Was it, or was it not, a goal? You can't
always tell at real-time speed.

Of course, if you're simply unable to pay attention at any speed, this
won't help at all. But for the observant folk, those interested in and
attuned to finer detail, it can easily make all the difference.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Webbiz on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:24:31 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Webbiz wrote:
>>> Screw the book. Just roll up your sleeves, and become one with the F8
>>> key.
>>
>> This might be a reply that would shock you, but how in the world is
>> the F8 key going to teach me new technologies I'm not familiar with?
>
>It allows you to "watch the play in slow motion," just as you might
>during a sporting event. Was it, or was it not, a goal? You can't
>always tell at real-time speed.
>
>Of course, if you're simply unable to pay attention at any speed, this
>won't help at all. But for the observant folk, those interested in and
>attuned to finer detail, it can easily make all the difference.

I understand what the F8 key can do if you have the code or control
already in your app. But if you haven't learned about the technology
to begin with, it isn't going to be in your code for you to F8 no
matter what.

Thus, you can't toss out the book or you don't know what you can
possibly do.

Therefore, "Screw the book. Just roll up your sleeves, and become one
with the F8 key." does not make sense to me.

Case in point: Right now, I have a blank screen with no code on it and
wondering how I'm going to tackle the file download problem. Hit the
F8 key now and I will get...nothing.

Thus, time to read a book (or go to those links NOBODY provided,
etc.).

Thanks.

:-)

Webbiz
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Webbiz wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> This might be a reply that would shock you, but how in the world is
>>> the F8 key going to teach me new technologies I'm not familiar with?
>>
>> It allows you to "watch the play in slow motion," just as you might
>> during a sporting event. Was it, or was it not, a goal? You can't
>> always tell at real-time speed.
>>
>> Of course, if you're simply unable to pay attention at any speed, this
>> won't help at all. But for the observant folk, those interested in and
>> attuned to finer detail, it can easily make all the difference.
>
> I understand what the F8 key can do if you have the code or control
> already in your app. But if you haven't learned about the technology
> to begin with, it isn't going to be in your code for you to F8 no
> matter what.

That's why god invented google, I guess?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Webbiz on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:45:34 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Webbiz wrote:
>> Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

>>> It allows you to "watch the play in slow motion," just as you might
>>> during a sporting event. Was it, or was it not, a goal? You can't
>>> always tell at real-time speed.
>>>
>>> Of course, if you're simply unable to pay attention at any speed, this
>>> won't help at all. But for the observant folk, those interested in and
>>> attuned to finer detail, it can easily make all the difference.
>>
>> I understand what the F8 key can do if you have the code or control
>> already in your app. But if you haven't learned about the technology
>> to begin with, it isn't going to be in your code for you to F8 no
>> matter what.
>
>That's why god invented google, I guess?

Sure, and if that was so foolproof we wouldn't need this newsgroup,
would we? <g>

Webbiz

"Give me books or give me Commander Data!"